Londoners in 'ere

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
OP
Was in white chapel / algate east all week. Its convenient but certainly not a nice area. The side roads are surprisingly more shady than you would think, so exercise due caution at night.

The thought of you in the Nags Head amuses me.

10 minutes to the office! 10 minutes :D

There are worse parts of London. But Tower Hamlets is one of the poorest boroughs of London.

http://www.londonspovertyprofile.org.uk/about/an-overview-of-londons-borough/

Yeah, I'd already done a rough search on Tower Hamlets, but stats can only tell you so much about a place. Stuff like toshj has said is actually more useful in some ways.

Lol @ all the negative responses about the area :D I don't think KD will be moving to Aldgate East/Whitechapel anymore :p

Kind of expected the responses I got to be honest :p It is GD :p

I should probably clarify as well, most people are focussing more on the 'whitechapel' part of this. My understanding is the flat in question is right by Queen Mary, and quite university populated.

kd

Soldato
OP
Somewhat ironically, a number of the buildings in the photos you've just posted have gone under extensive face lifts, particularly around the market place and station.

This thread was always going to be people who have either never been to Whitechapel or visited the place a few times decrying it as a hell hole, whilst the people who live(d) hear say it's a decent place.

To be fair, I did just streetview the flat in question. (I found more accurate info)

If you walk one end out of the street, it is a bit shoddy, but most of the street itself is quite nice, and most of the cars around are pretty decent cars. Not to mention as you say quite a bit seems renovated at the moment.

Not really worried anywhere near as much as people are making out now :p

kd

Soldato
OP
I worked near Aldgate East tube from 2007-2010. Out of anywhere in London it's certainly a well connected area for work. You're about 15mins from Tower Bridge walking, 15mins from Moorgate, maybe 25mins from London Bridge and perhaps 45mins to walk over to Canary Wharf so even if there's a massive tube strike you shouldn't need to worry about getting around. Spitalfields, Brick Lane and Shoreditch are all fairly lively and easy walking distance.

Whitechapel has a huge sainsbury's perfect for weekly shops. The Overground that now serves Whitechapel is pretty frequent and that connects well with a good few lines. Crossrail will only improve this but be prepared to wait!

If you're worried about "the area" the police presence is very visible. I think that's a good thing but you might think it just means there's lots of crime. I think the only real problems I saw was begging, a lot of litter and alcoholism. I saw quite a lot of people outside the costcutter just begging and then getting completely drunk and sleeping in the little alley on Gunthorpe Street.

Thanks for the input. Most of what I've heard from people actually seems to be along these lines now a days.

Wimbledon is a lovely area

And for the time it takes, I may as well live at home :p

kd

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom