Long delay at start up just after memory check

Soldato
Hi All,

I have had this problem for a while but am just fed up with it. After upgrading to XP SP2 a few months ago I had to update my on-board USB drivers to get then to be rocognised as USB2 devices. I don't know if this is related or not!

After startup all goes OK until after the memory check (1024MB is my case). 9 times out of 10, then the computer just sits there for a minute or 2 - then it goes back into action again and recognises the drives (USB, HDD, etc) and all is OK. Not sure if this long delay is some m/board SP2 problem or some driver problem.

Is there some log that will have this sort of info in - presumably windows won't have started that soon? This is apparent in thr Windows "Event" logs;

The NEC PCI to USB Enhanced Host Controller service failed to start due to the following error:
"The service cannot be started, either because it is disabled or because it has no enabled devices associated with it. "

But when I look in the hardware devices system tab it seem OK:
NEC PCI to USB enhanced hots controller (B1)
- says all OK, etc.

Any ideas. Perhaps the driver is just loading later than expected?

Mel

Man of Honour
I don't know if you have changed any settings in the bios recently but you could check that "Quick POST"(Power On Self Test) is enabled and that you have settings such as "Plug N' Play OS Installed" correct although I don't know if it makes any difference really. You may also want to consider setting the IDE and/or SATA ports that you aren't using to disabled to speed up the boot process.

Associate
This is happening during POST. in which case anything you do involving your hard disk (i.e. windows drivers) doesn't matter (as it hasn't been detected yet.)

I would do everything recommended above (removing USB etc) and perhaps try moving your hard drives and optical drives to different connectors/cables. Also make sure you have the lastest BIOS. Sometimes this behaviour is the sign of a hard drive on the way out.

Soldato
OP
Well I think I know what it was - I had wound down the speed on the fans as I had put a better CPU cooler (zalman) and some large OD case fans - all slow+ quiet but the CPU thought one was too slow - it was in RED in the bios set up- upping this solved it.

Mel P

Back
Top Bottom