Long Ethernet cable or DSL cable?

Associate
”I'd start with a filtered faceplate. Using solid core cable (CW1308 or Cat5/Cat5e/Cat6/etc.) use a pair for voice and a pair for data and connect using the IDC terminals, not the sockets. At the other end connect a double network faceplate, or if you want to get exotic dedicated RJ11 and BT phone sockets.”

I used 2 pairs of a solid core CAT5 and connected to the internal terminals 2,3,4 and 5 of the main BT socket, connecting directly with the incoming pair (A and B / terminals 2 and 5). The main socket is an old one, so probably not filtered though I am using a plug in filter for connecting the router. The other end was a standard secondary phone socket. Prior to that though I ran it into a junction box, so maybe I will try it directly into the socket outlet to see if it was bad connections. Thanks for the info, I will look into the suggestions you made and see if I can resolve it knowing the cable should not be the problem, I like a challenge.

Associate
Seem to have found my fault. Lost my speed again, at the main router down to 0.8mb/s (plugged into main BT socket) and lost all connection at second router. Seems to be a dodgy connection where the router lead plugs into the filter. I’m sure I will have a spare router lead somewhere. Will reconnect my wiring and re-test.

Soldato
Was a massive sigh of relief when I realised I could go under the floor when I moved in, I do need to run an external cable to an upstairs office though so I'll keep an eye on this thread.

I'm in the process of wiring my whole house up with ethernet. I've had to do a few runs externally, I shoved a load in a 40mm black waste pipe and ran them the wall from my top floor down into my basement, and up into my server closet.

Caporegime
A telephone extension run in proper cable and terminated correctly onto the back of the master socket is unlikely to drop any noticeable amount of speed. Yes it's great to have the phone line going into the modem as soon as possible, but if that means having to plan a way of putting a modem on the wall in your kitchen and getting power to it somehow then I wouldn't be concerned about adding an extension socket.

Associate
Having found a faulty connection on my ADSL plug/filter socket I tried the main router on the end of the phone extension again with new connections. While my speed improved it was still down at 2mbps from 12. Plugged the router back into the main BT socket and still 2mbps. Disconnected the phone extension from the back of the main BT socket and back up to 10/12mbps. This all came about because my original problem was that one of my two secondary BT routers kept losing connection. I removed it and just used the secondary BT router that had not been giving problems and additionally connected a 5 port switch to take some of the Ethernet circuits. Then this router started doing the same thing but then got worse to the point where it was disconnected more than it was connected. However, noticed that the Ethernet circuits would carry on working while the wifi did not. Looked into this and it seemed to be a common complaint about BT Hub3. I have now purchased and installed a TP-Link wifi unit with 4 aerials and Ethernet port (£38) and also a TP-Link 16 port switch, un-managed, 10/100 (£28). As I only have one available Ethernet circuit back to the main router, the wifi unit goes through the switch too. I am pleased to say that everything is now working well and I’m getting download speeds of 10mbps at the moment and wifi that stays on. Sorting out the telephone circuits is going to be for another day. Ive got some RJ11 plugs on order so may try moving the main router back into the house again but connecting directly to the main BT socket via ADSL. After that I may wait until the master socket is moved from the caravan into the house in case its just the sheer length of cable that’s dropping the signal (about 25+ metres into the house, then the final circuit(s) attached to that). Thanks for the previous feedback.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom