Long Ethernet Cable Route.

Associate
Hi. So basically my brother is getting a Gaming PC and it will be going in his bedroom, the router is down in the study downstairs where my PC is, ideally we would like to get him a wired connection but that means getting a very long Ethernet cable up the stairs along a doorway and in to his room without getting in the way so I'm thinking that's going to be a little tricky. I was going to put it along the skirting board and just use some tape to keep it in place but not so sure my mum will like that idea.

Are there any other practical bits of kit out there that would make it look a bit more presentable and do a better job than some tape?

We were going to use some wireless adapters but he has used them with his PlayStation and it gives him an awful connection, not sure if it's the product or that it's on a different circuit so we thought it would be better to try and go the long Ethernet route.

Are there any other methods you'd suggest that aren't very expensive that I'm missing?

Any help would be appreciated.

Cheers.

Soldato
My ether net cable runs along top of skirting board
I just used those cable holders they use for tv/sky cables
The plastic ones with a tack/small nail
And there's always powerline adapters
Not the WiFi ones the ones that send the signal through your electric cables
You just plug one in near router and one or more next to how ever many pcs you want then it's just short ether net cable from adapter to pc

Soldato
External cable up to the loft into a cheap switch. You can then drop cables down all the stud walls in every upstairs room if you want.

Soldato
Can you elaborate more on the external (network) cable please? How would that work exactly? Never heard of it before.
It's basically just an ether net cable but more robust so it can cope with rain. Freezing. Uv sunlight etc
But usually requires drilling a hole through an external wall or window frame to take it outside then again to bring it back in
Not sure that would go down to well if just taping ether net cable to the skirting board was a worry

Soldato
You can even take it up behind a drain pipe to hide it from view in the outside of the house.

External grade cable is normally black. But it’s no different to what a sky installer would do.

Soldato
Any cavities within the house that you can utilise?

I recently ran a standard cat6 cable round 2 sides of the living room under the carpet to a small cavity which was housing the drainage for our ensuite in the bedroom above. That got the cable up to the loft through some conduit and then dropped it back down into a bedroom at the back of the house from there.

20191026-175449.jpg

The small white tube to the back of the soil pipe is 5m of conduit which goes down to the living room and it's terminated like this at both ends in the bedroom and living:
20191027-121907.jpg

Sorry if pictures are silly big. It's early and only on my phone at the moment.

Soldato
I have cable running all round my house, including the loft etc. The runs going around the skirting and up over my front door are inside the stick on cable ducting that you can buy in any DIY tool store near you. The tape doesn't always hold so an occasion wall screw helps to stop the tape peeling away over time.

Have a look on Screwfix as they do some semi-circle ducting that might work well for a single cable or go whole hog and replace the skirting board with hollow skirting!

Soldato
I once ran an ethernet cable up the side of the house to a loft bedroom. Worked really well.
Had wooden window frames so cut a small channel in the bottom of the frames, bit of sanding and wood filler, refinished with a bit of wood stain.
Looked quite neat and worked as expected.
Window frames needed a repaint /re stain anyway so turned out nice.

R3X

R3X

Soldato
That is what I done with flat ethernet cable running under carpets and using d-line trunking on the ceilings to make it look at least presentable in the home. Try to see if you already have existing plastic trunking usually for electrical wiring around the home I used half the existing trunking around the home.

Once you got from upstairs to downstairs sorted a switch on the other end can help to add devices, takes more time and effort but much better then UN-reliable power ethernet plugs imo

Associate
My old house we got flat Ethernet cable and ran it under the carpet on the stairs and into the office upstairs as the router was downstairs.

The current house I have drilled a small hall and ran external Ethernet cable buried with the electrical cable to the office in the garden.

Back
Top Bottom