• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Long overdue GPU upgrade - will something like a GTX 1060 perform noticeably better than my R7850?

Associate
OP
Thanks! In doing my research I've found out that playing Red Dead 2 in 4K@60fps (the main thing I'm looking for at the moment) would likely take a dual GPU setup (and a small power station set up outside my house) so I might give up on that dream and just get an RTX 580 for now; there are a few nearby selling for like $100...! Which is a small price to pay for an upgrade that should let me do more VR stuff after struggling with this R7850 since 2012....!!

Associate
To the OP as well, the 3570K is very long in the tooth now and can be problematic in some modern games, due to the lack of cores/threads. Especially for VR with some more advanced VR games a stronger CPU is vital to ensure stable frames.

I would say it's really time to think about building a new PC altogether maybe if you are looking to play AAA games plus get into more VR stuff.

Basic option would be to throw in a 2nd hand 3770K and something like a GTX1650 super (when it's released). Ideal option, new build with something like Ryzen 3600 and GTX1660 Super (or rtx2060 super or 5700, depending on budget).

Back
Top Bottom