long overdue upgrade to play PUBG

Associate
Hi All,

I am looking to get a new mobo, CPU and ram to get my computer up to spec for playing PUBG.

I already have an nvidea gtx 970 which will do.

Im not too interested in overclocking, and will never want to run SLI or crossfire, and dont need anything fancy on my mobo, I dont think..

my budget is around 400 quid. I was thinking I could get somthing descent for around this price or maybe a little more. Perhapse an I5 on the asus H110 atx that overclockers have at the mo. with 16GB ram. But I am not clued up so much on compatability and specifics - to get both bang for my buck, and FRAMES in PUBG..

Thanks in advance for any advice! Olee

Ryzen would be the ideal:

The 1600 has 6 cores 12 threads and clocks to 3.7GHz (across all cores) comfortably with the supplied Wraith cooler:

My basket at Overclockers UK:

Total: £431.98
(includes shipping: £10.50)

Interesting.. Ryzen!.
If you're concerned about the suggestion of the AMD CPU it's performance is comparable to that of the i5 7600K - but with 2 extra cores and 8 extra threads that will benefit future games. Plus the socket will last an anticipated 4 more years...

And although you mentioned no interest in overclocking the 3.7 clock is usually achievable by simply adjusting the multiplier.
may be nothing but; On the ram spec it doesnt mention compatability with amd..
With the latest BIOS and AGESA updates the above memory will usually hit 2933MHz (3000MHz) - with the above board when flashed to the latest BIOS.

You can get AMD Ryzen approved but costs more and was considering your budget:

My basket at Overclockers UK:

thankyou, very helpfull.
No problem:

I would really recommend looking at Ryzen revisited reviews (plus recent YouTube gaming performance) since latest BIOS updates and optimisation has started to mature. AMD really has come back in a big way and the consumer for once is benefiting - both in performance and price.

Yes, I have been looking at a few videos just now. looks great! and particularly good on pubg where the cores come in handy!

Its been ages since I did anything but change a gpu in my machine. im hoping its fairly straitforward to put everything together.

Should I format an SSD to do a fresh install of win10 when the builds done?

Should I format an SSD to do a fresh install of win10 when the builds done?
Yes.

Windows 10 is a lot better at swapping chipsets now but its always best practice to do a fresh install. Plus, it rules out cross platform software conflicts if you were to run into problems with the build.

The build should be a relatively straightforward process - the only thing i advise is that you flash to the latest BIOS immediately to increase/assure memory compatibility (1stick, cpu, gfx card installed only). If you get the Gigabyte board use the q-flash utility and a FAT 32 formatted USB stick (don't be tempted to use the windows environment to flash the BIOS).

Also, get the chipset drivers direct from AMD.

Back
Top Bottom