Long time no post.

Soldato
So it's been a while. The system I bought 5 or so years ago has held up remarkably. However, for some reason when my GPU is plugged in and I load up a game of any type the PC crashes to black screen (system is still active audio etc plays). I figured it was my GTX 970 showing its age and had it warrantied not once but twice before it ran out. Both times I received as new GPUs so I would say that the GPU has been ruled out.

My specs are as such:

Gigabyte Gaming 5 Z97,
4790k (stock speeds),
8GB of Corsair Vengeance DDR3,
Corsair AX750 80 Plus Gold PSU (10ish years old at this point),
Samsung 850 Evo 250GB,
2 seagate 2TB drives that I can't remember the exact model of.

Currently my thinking is a possible bust motherboard (it does this on any PCI lane however). The PSU but that seems like the entire system would crash? The DVI-D cable to my Benq monitor. Or possibly something wrong with the CPU but that seems like a really far out option. Anyone got any suggestions for what I can check? I was going to use my spare motherboard for this socket but it seems I've some how completely lost it. :/

Soldato
I assume you have tried a clean OS install? Need to rule out software as well. It could very well be the PSU not supplying 12v to the GPU correctly causing the crash after it demands more amps than while at the desktop

Soldato
OP
I've not gone for a clean install just yet. I'll try one this weekend as I don't have overtime. Thats what I was thinking a weak 12V rail would make it go kaput. Annoying as the warranty ran out on the PSU last year I think. I haven't had to look into PSU's for a veryyyyy long time so I'm now goosed on what to go other than possibly seasonic?

Soldato
OP
Yeah loads up fine on onboard. Also just calculated my PSU wattage. Says at least a 660W as I want to go watercooling again I feel 750W would be ideal again.

Man of Honour
You should be more than OK on 650w, your system shouldn't draw over 400 as it stands IMO.

:edit: for evidence, look at GPU reviews where they measure total system power consumption while under load.

Soldato
Yeah I think we all went a bit ham on PSUs and wattage years back. We really don't need that juice these days it turns out :D

650w will be more than ample for you mate.

Soldato
OP
Ahh fair enough. I'll grab a 650W PSU in the near future and try a clean install but I feel like its likely the PSU. Need to find myself a new case as well... One that fits a 360 rad and possibly a 240.. Without breaking the bank. Aha.

Soldato
Have you checked Event Viewer and Reliability History?
Those might have errors you could combine with time of crashes for some possible hints about cause.

Back
Top Bottom