Long time no see. Upgrade time.

Soldato
Oi oi. Not been around a lot because summer. So, I decided to change some things. I've had the same case at my desk now for about 4 years. In it resides a 12700kf and a 6800XT Strix LC. Absolutely nothing wrong with either of those. However, at some point (I don't recall exactly when, about a year ago?) I built a TV PC when the crazy pandemic prices crashed. TBH it is faster. Not in the CPU department, but it has a 6950XT. It also has a very high end board (Z590 Tachyon) a very high end case (Lian Li Odyssey X) and a better PSU and NVME drives (Thor and two faster NVME). It is also much better to look at IMO.

I was due a monitor change about two years ago. I have had my 32" curved Strix for the same length of time (over 4 years) but at some point around two years ago my eyesight got much worse and I could no longer focus on it the way I could before. The only way to see what I was doing in PUBG was to move it much closer to me, at which point it becomes too big. I much prefer the IPS 27" I have set up at my mother's house (Razer 144hz). The good thing in stalling it? 27" IPS are now cheap. I got this for £220.

59fCUtz.jpg

NDwnWhM.jpg

It's nothing super duper. I will wait until OLED prices become more digestible tbh. It also gives me room for something I have not had on my desk since 2018... Speakers. This is how it currently sits.

BiKJkfS.jpg

The PC to the right is what I will be switching out. With this. Still changing some things around and added a 1tb Samsung SATA SSD I have never used.

l4BlVTJ.jpg

It also has a sub ambient cooler. Like I said, I just find it much more attractive. One thing I do not find attractive any more is the Klevv RGB ram I bought. At some point Gigabyte app suite upgraded and broke. So I lost all control of the RGB and it looked horrible. I managed to change all of the LEDs using OpenRGB, but not the RAM. It just sits there farting rainbows and annoys me. So I got a 32gb kit of this.

KLx1h3w.jpg

Which should be here tomorrow. Other things. A pristine set of these in the box I used as rear surrounds for about a year.

7AN3wIy.jpg

An amp.

98A9NVQ.jpg

And some stands and cables.

KIsFYYS.jpg

It will be so nice not to have to wear headphones any time I sit at the PC. I already upgraded the keyboard. Epomaker, kiwi switches and clear caps. I only set that up last week it is brand new :)

I honestly can't use headphones, i need to know what's going on around me. It feels really eery when i have my headphones on and noise cancellation, like the feeling someones gonna grab me from behind :cry:.

You thought about wall mounting speakers?

I know what you mean. Thing is I live in a penthouse flat with 3 locked fire doors between me and the world.

It’s my autism. I looooove da headphones. Problem is in summer I get swimmers ear which is an infection on the ear lining. And I’m sick of it.

Can’t wall mount tbh. Well, I could, but I have something going on the wall right there soon.

When I get back later I’ll show you. Nothing PC related but my other hobby and why I’ve not been on here in bloody ages.

Maybe. I can quit any time...... :D

Yeah been restoring bikes since March.

1Qzyzwz.jpg

Rusty basket case.

RYuKwv8.jpg

After.

fSw4nak.jpg

1OtF6Ws.jpg

yfdYt3r.jpg

And one I am doing for a catalogue competition.

tJoKjKv.jpg

kNZRA4d.jpg

Just add sunlight.

KLpmsBd.jpg

However.... I still have a gen 1 Alienware Predator case. And I have been wanting to mod it for years now, as it got broken when I moved (crack in the side panel). That meant that unlike the rest of my Alienware collection I could not keep it stock as the repair would show. So I am maybe going to paint it with this. Chromacoat fireball.

dCLnLHk.jpg

And again, simply sprinkle in sunlight....

wH1unrl.jpg

KOSHmui.jpg

OK back from docs. Blood pressure is great, had some blood taken for tests.

So the one annoying thing with the Odyssey X, being a HEDT "show" case is that it has no filtering. With my slight OCD about dust I clean it a lot. More than I want to. Problem is fan filters were stupidly expensive the last time I looked. Like seriously, not even joking, about 40 quid for one filter for god sakes. Thankfully in the time since I built it the gag is now up. £12 for two.

tdhwtbn.jpg

Now obviously they won't stick given the entire chassis is alu. However, bit of double sided tape should sort it. I have it all in reverse atm, due to the way I initially built it. I have changed out the GPU since building it and added the 360 TEC cooler and I did not want to destroy all of my soul by removing all of the fans and starting again. There are a lot of fans and a lot of wires. So it is 3 intakes in the roof, side exhaust and front rad pushes out the front.

J4Z3NiB.jpg

So I only need one in the roof there. TBH it should just sit in place, but if it slides around I will use some double sided tape. This is the keyboard I pretty much built. Swapped out the switches for Kiwi, replaced the caps with ones that look vintage but are clear.

dpRL8Tu.jpg

Oh and the posh cable. I bought it over a year ago and then chucked it to one side and never brought it back to the flat lol.

Also. I am going to wrap the desk. I noted last year they made forged carbon vinyl that looks hella realistic. So I used it on the decals on a custom bike I built, painted and ride. I have the Ti bike in the pic above, but yeah... This is my Pinarello.

usXWW3L.jpg

So I am going to use the same vinyl to wrap the entire desk.

UmPNHNz.jpg

The desk was very expensive. It's a proper office desk, and solid as a rock. I also needed it in a custom size, as back at the old flat I only had a certain space for it. Hence I had to have it custom made, as I wanted it as wide as it is deep. Deffo a forever thing, tbh. Amazingly it just about fits in this flat too, and I won't be leaving here until it is in a box.

Back
Top Bottom