looking after family

Soldato
when summer first started, my sister rear ended someone, because she got dazzled by the sunlight, I told her that it was alright, a lot of people do at that time of year, just like a lot of people do in autumn too, for different reasons ofc
she was your typical loving, rushed off her feet youngish mother with a bloke who is a bit of a tw@t, who never did support her enough, he only provided for her a crap ford Ka that was falling apart, as they do, even after my sister spending a tonne of money keeping it on the road
it's only that school term that she had managed to finally get my nephew into a special school, she lived in the back end of nowhere, and was driving 100 miles a day to get him to, and home, from school

I love my sister, and I did not want my nephew's place at the school to be in danger, because he's not old enough for the council to pay for a taxi to take him to school, and places at this school are quite sought after, she also neeed a car if she was to have any kind of life what with living so rurally.
I love searching for cars online, there is always the perfect one if you look hard enough, it's just waiting to be found, plus I had a literal nest egg of £30k, because before my stroke I had been saving to buy a wee fisherman's cottage in the highlands of scotland somewhere, that was my dream, but dreams come and they go so fast : sad face:
I'd already treated myself to an amazing new computer when I finally got back from the rehabilitation care home, and I put what was left into a couple of fixed rate savings accounts, except for 4k just in case I needed some cash
long story short I decided to find, and buy her the perfect small family car, eventually, I found a renault grand mobious MPV with only 55k on the clock, amazing visibility, and a full service history five miles down the road from her for £2.5k, it had 5 seats, and all these travel cubby holes in there , which my nephew has all filled with nerf guns.

Her fella was an 'I'm the alpha' type, who thinks that he is the be all, and end all of hunter gatherers, who actually provided little beyond chopping some wood, and bringing some shopping home from the supermarket sometimes, I never liked him very much, and I knew that getting my sister this car would kick him right in the jelly beans of his me alpha, mentality.
So That was just a bonus of sorting my sister out with the best car that she has ever had. he has never said thank you for making sure that his kids can get to school, and all the activities that they do, I've got strong words that I could call him but cannot here, my sister is adamant that she will eventually pay me back for the car and I'm confident that she will, in time
fast forward to recently, they split up (yay), and she was sadly having to look for a new place to live.

Now, Id've given her every last penny to make sure that she, my niece, and my nephew have a home, so I let her do all the searching for a house to rent, all while knowing it would be me giving her the money for it, well most of it, she does have a job and was able to put £500 in for part of the deposit and month's rent up front, today she got the key, and I am down another £1.5k
she is really happy!
at the same time, due to my severe disability, my mum is my primary carer, and I would be lost without her, she has given up her retirement for me, when she should be spending more time with her grand kids, doing chair yoga, and taking art/poetry classes, maybe even a bit of bingo, I'm really lucky to have her!
I'm not showing off, but at the same time I do feel proud of myself today, it's not like I am skint now, I'm just not allowed to use my fixed savings yet, that's all, and I do still manage to put some of my benefits into a savings pot every 2/4 weeks
I am curious to hear other stories about looking after family.​

Last edited:
The formatting is wild and sexy. The below comments are based on being a parent rather than a son (top down rather than top up, if you like)

I think of looking after family as respect and love, hoping to add where I can but also knowing when to keep my mouth shut. Just because it's to me true doesn't mean my girls shouldn't go through their own deal and work it out. I'll back it regardless but do your homework please ladies. Own the great stuff, look on at the not so great stuff and learn, and always wear sunscreen.

However. When you do - and you will - get it wrong and the homework doesn't stop the earthquake, remember that John Hughes has you covered.

Back
Top Bottom