Looking at buying 2nd Hand mountain bike! Any in here know all ?

Soldato
Hey all, looking at buying a 2nd hand downhill/mountain bike jobby, just to get around town on, go gym on and occasonaly blast it down snowdon on,

is:

Shamano Deora Gears + Brakes + derailers
Muddy fox nebula frame (aluminium - sealed bearings)
bigfoot handlebars+headset
Rock shox judy forks
Alex Rims DM18
Nokian Gazza tyres
Disc Brakes (new, just installed)

He's wanting £190/£200 for it, that a good deal ? Any advice appreciated ! :)

Soldato
The Frame is from a complete bike which retails at about £550
The tyres are £35 a pop .. Rims are good quality .
If the bike looks in good nick and everything works ok i would say £200 is a fair price .
Are the new disc brakes cable or hydraulic ?
I cant comment on the Judys as the make quite a few types .
As long as its in good nick and it all works its a good price

Persil

Soldato
OP
Persil said:
The Frame is from a complete bike which retails at about £550
The tyres are £35 a pop .. Rims are good quality .
If the bike looks in good nick and everything works ok i would say £200 is a fair price .
Are the new disc brakes cable or hydraulic ?
I cant comment on the Judys as the make quite a few types .
As long as its in good nick and it all works its a good price

Persil

Hi Persil,
Cheers for the feedback, there cable disc breakes front and back, its in what id say is good nick, not excellent or anything, but full working order,lol, should look ok after a proper clean up, creeks slightly on the horizontal part handle bar, but he said its cuz the top bolt is over tightned and the lower is not tightend enough, said he will sort it, doesnt look like anything major,rest bike seems fine, anymore input ? :) cheers again

Associate
If its creaking make sure before you buy it the creak really has gone.
A creak can mean a fracture or something loose or about to fail - in the handle bar area could mean its had a very hard life or not been looked after.
Ive been to that place called "yeah we can get rid of that creak no probs" and its a LIE, Evan cycles suck fixng some things and this was on a 1200.00 squid Trek.

Check for play in the suspension - sit astrude the bike off the saddle, apply the front brake and attampt to roll it back and forwards, any clonking or movement thats not a flex or natural movement then forks may need a service.
Check all the bearings - wheels, headset, bottom bracket and pedels.
Check chain play - put the gears inthe biggest rings and on the front chain wheel see how far the chain pulls away freon the rings by pulling a link away, more than five MM then a new chain should be considered.
Are the wheels true? - turn bike over and spin the wheels looking at a point of fixed contact and see if theres any wobble - buckled can mean hard life maybe a crash.
Do the gears shift well? - again, if not, maybe not really looked after.

How old is the bike? If its a year or two old and inmint then 200 max, older than that and 175-150 max Id say. Its a lowish spec bike with nice forks so some componants are cheaper to keep costs lower e.g the gears/seat/seat post/vbars/stem and so forth.

Oh and whatch for cable stretch on the cable disk brakes, if there sloppy they really do struggle to slow you dont effectivly.

You basically want the bike to feel tight, no rattles, clonks, grinds crunches or thuds :D

Hope that helps.

Kipp.

Soldato
If you're gonna spend more time on the roads than offroad then get a road bike, it makes such a difference.

I used to have a mountain bike but after spending 99.9% of my time on the roads I decided to get a road bike, my legs thanked me for it!

Soldato
OP
Cheers for help guys, really good info there :D :)

I also talked to my other mate who is a bike fanatic and said same stuff as kippermitten said, the handle bar creaks, changing gears isnt so bad, but rolling the pedals backwards when its standing still the bearings at the centre of the pedals are audable, which carnt be good, my old crap bike didnt have audable bearings (this noise is different& in addition to the noise of the chain going round!)

So iv offered him £170 now, considering the break pads need changing, but he spoke to his dad and his dads like 'ugh ehh uggh get 220 for it or ill be mad' its day light robbery ! its certanly not in mint condition, and my mate who I spoke to said £120-£130 would be a good price! :o :mad:

Im thinking for the safety of meself, ill leave it and look elsewhere

Back
Top Bottom