Looking at getting back into biking

Associate
Well, due to work circumstances 4 years ago (ended up working away from home during the week) I ended up selling my Suzuki GSXR 750 SRAD as it wasn't being used much.
Cut to the present, I have moved jobs to a location where I am home every shift, so have started looking at bikes again.
I test rode a Yamaha MT07, but found it a little bit gutless and buzzy through the handlebars.
I have been looking at the Suzuki GSXS750, quite like the styling and will have enough poke to keep me happy with around 114ps.
Problem is getting test ride on one. There are very few dealerships close by to me now (Derby) and the ones that are within an hour or so are in areas that I am unfamiliar with and wouldn't know where to take the bike.
I don't really want to spend the sort of money for an MT09, plus the GSXS has a decent finance deal on it at the moment.

Soldato
Well, due to work circumstances 4 years ago (ended up working away from home during the week) I ended up selling my Suzuki GSXR 750 SRAD as it wasn't being used much.
Cut to the present, I have moved jobs to a location where I am home every shift, so have started looking at bikes again.
I test rode a Yamaha MT07, but found it a little bit gutless and buzzy through the handlebars.
I have been looking at the Suzuki GSXS750, quite like the styling and will have enough poke to keep me happy with around 114ps.
Problem is getting test ride on one. There are very few dealerships close by to me now (Derby) and the ones that are within an hour or so are in areas that I am unfamiliar with and wouldn't know where to take the bike.
I don't really want to spend the sort of money for an MT09, plus the GSXS has a decent finance deal on it at the moment.

MT09 is a good choice if you can stretch to it.

For Suzuki’s in derby you’re in luck. Powerslide motorcycles have just opened their second branch on Raynesway by the McDonald’s. Highly recommend them from previously dealing with them at their Stoke branch, they will look after you.

Associate
OP
Nipped down to see Brad at Powerslide and sat on the bike. Nive bloke and very helpful.
I am 6'4" and fairly hefty, but it felt comfortable and easier on the wrists than my old gixxer.
Just need to try and sort out a test ride on it, but it looks like it ticks the boxes I want ticking.

Soldato
Been down, paid deposit and picking bike up start of September.
Chose the white and yellow final edition.

good stuff, hope you enjoy it. I work nearby and have been meaning to pop in as I used to deal with Brad at their Stoke branch, but not had time.

Soldato
Yea I'd have an mt09.

I dont like how it looks, I prefer the XSR 900 which is effectively the same bike anyway. But I'd definitely have one, supposed to be very good bikes.

I think you've made a good decision.

Associate
OP
So, I picked the bike up on the 2nd September. It has the best 3 letters for the last 3 on the reg:- RGV, you couldn't have made it up.:D:D
So, the bike.
Well, what an induction noise. Bear in mid I am still running it in, but at anything over 4-5k it sounds fantastic.
Enough power to please me, seating position is great as it doesn't put oo much pressure through your wrists.
Seat is like concrete though, hopefully it will soften up over time.
Have ordered a fly screen for it.

Apologies for the wife's car in the background.

Last edited:
Soldato
too much bike for an inexperienced rider.
for a novice i would advise getting a beater bike until you have some experience.
I don’t think so, any bike is fine if you ride it correctly.

I would avoid going for an MT09 at all though, especially the earlier models, horrible suspension, snatchy throttle, poor brakes, the newer SP models are the ones to go for if you’re looking into them.

Associate
OP
Update No2
Fly screen has arrived and been fitted.
Have covered just over 300 miles before going under cover to escape our lovely climate the past week and a half.
It's so easy to ride, still watching the tyres before I start throwing it around a little more.

Back
Top Bottom