Looking at kit.. Advice?

Soldato
Hi Guys

Got my Mod 1 end of the month, so starting to buy kit, I am buying a F800GS so looking at more adventure kit, but I 100% do not want the helmet with the peak. I want something flip front, bluetooth and obviously as best quality as I can afford. I have a budget of upto £700 on a helmet

Jacket, Boots and Trousers im literally none the wiser on what to get, ive been to M&P in Swansea and to be honest felt a little out of my depth looking at kit, anyone got advice on the rest of the gear as well?

Thanks

Associate
Options and opinions will vary.

Helmet fit is more important than cost. My head will only fit well in Xlite and Nolan for example so try as many as you can.

For textile kit I like Halvarssons, similar quality to Rukka but slightly more wallet friendly!

For boots I have Daytona Road Star, expensive but they will last.

Keep an eye on eBay if on a budget. Bargains can be found for decent hardly used kit.

Man of Honour
If your head fits, the Shoei Neotec 2 is hard to beat. The Sena SRL2 integrates seamlessly into the helmet and is a good setup. I use it for phone calls and voice navigation. Best lid I’ve ever owned. If your head doesn’t fit that then the Schuberth C4 is worth a look, although some of the guys I ride with who have had them complained of leakage in the rain.

When buying jacket and trousers, do not underestimate the importance of ventilation. A lot of the all in one adventure gear will have you feeling like boil in the bag rice on moderately warm days when most people tend to ride. The RST Adventure X gear is one of the best vented adventure jackets I have found and is relatively cheap. Not as robust or as well specced as the likes of Rukka, Klim, or Halvarssons - but it is half or a third of the price.

Man of Honour
That’s a good point. No matter what you choose, someone will call you a bell end.

Want to sacrifice fashion for hi-viz and increased safety? You’re a bell end.

Want to dress like Steve McQueen in a wax coated jacket and open face lid, in the hope the other mid-life crisis men will be impressed? You’re a bell end.

Want to dress in functional all-weather adventure gear, looking a bit like Ewan and Charlie in the process? You’re a bell end.

Want to cover your one piece leathers in sponsors to look like your favourite racer? You’re a bell end.

You go to a bike shop and choose the kit that matches your budget, taste, protection requirements and quality? You’re a bell end.

No matter what you choose, you’ll be declared a bell end by someone. Usually the posers who top about 2k a year.

But never ever wear a polite vest.

Associate
That’s a good point. No matter what you choose, someone will call you a bell end.

Want to sacrifice fashion for hi-viz and increased safety? You’re a bell end.

Want to dress like Steve McQueen in a wax coated jacket and open face lid, in the hope the other mid-life crisis men will be impressed? You’re a bell end.

Want to dress in functional all-weather adventure gear, looking a bit like Ewan and Charlie in the process? You’re a bell end.

Want to cover your one piece leathers in sponsors to look like your favourite racer? You’re a bell end.

You go to a bike shop and choose the kit that matches your budget, taste, protection requirements and quality? You’re a bell end.

Parents can be so cruel! :D

I've had a Halvarssons textile getup for ages now and it's always given decent weather protection. Added a summer jacket last year or so that also zips to the original trousers.

So many people recommend Daytona boots, it's been 13 years and I'm allllmost coming to terms with the price ticket. Maybe I'll get them this year!

Man of Honour
Agree about the Shoei Neotec 2. I love mine. But get the helmet fitted at a proper shop. Don't guess sizes. Every head is a different shape and each helmet a slightly different shape. So the Neotec may not work. There is also the Schuberth C3 and new C5 for rounder head shape. I have heard the C4 wasn't as good as the C3 though.

Back
Top Bottom