Looking for a decent drill/impact driver

Associate
Makita is good brand, pretty much most builders i see prefers them... You should research on battery as if i remember correctly they had different types of batteries and some of them are quite powerful and usefull while standard ones are ok for normal jobs.

Soldato
^^^^^^

Yes. The combi set you linked to is ok, but at 10.8v it would lock you out of most other Makita cordless tools. The one to go for would the 18v combi set, over your budget i'm afraid but cheaper in the long run. Once you have an 18v set any more tools you may want can be bought "bare", which makes them a lot lot cheaper.

Associate
Unless your sure exactly what you gonna use them for and what power you need i would default to 18v kit rather than 10.8v, less likely to run into problems later on with lack of power etc and will have a bigger range of body only tools to add on

makita lxt range batteries are older than the cxt from a quick google but cxt have a smaller range of tools, cant imagine the lxt are going end of line anytime soon as everyone has them

Associate
Associate
I'm a sparky who works on new build construction so I do lots of drilling and cutting of wood to run cables.

I've owned, DeWalt, Makita, Hilti, Hitachi, Bosch and Milwaukee branded drills.

To be honest you will be fine with any of the main brands. Personally I would just try to find the best deal on an 18v combi drill with a big battery like 4.0 or 5.0 mAh. If somebody is offering a free battery with a particular drill then go with them.

Screwfix usually do deals on DeWalt and Makita. It is what they seem to stock the most.

Toolstation seem to do offers on Milwaukee.

These days I shop at Axminster Tools as they will price match any major retailer.

So long as you are going with one of the big names in professional power tools you will be fine. Just shop around for a good deal on a twin pack or a free battery or whatever is being thrown in to sweeten a deal.

Soldato
For a home gamer you'll be fine with Makita. I've not looked but if that set is competitively priced Vs similar brands then it should be more than good enough.

Associate
OP
I'm a sparky who works on new build construction so I do lots of drilling and cutting of wood to run cables.

I've owned, DeWalt, Makita, Hilti, Hitachi, Bosch and Milwaukee branded drills.

To be honest you will be fine with any of the main brands. Personally I would just try to find the best deal on an 18v combi drill with a big battery like 4.0 or 5.0 mAh. If somebody is offering a free battery with a particular drill then go with them.

Screwfix usually do deals on DeWalt and Makita. It is what they seem to stock the most.

Toolstation seem to do offers on Milwaukee.

These days I shop at Axminster Tools as they will price match any major retailer.

So long as you are going with one of the big names in professional power tools you will be fine. Just shop around for a good deal on a twin pack or a free battery or whatever is being thrown in to sweeten a deal.

Cheers, that's sage advice!

Associate
I picked up an 18V Makita combi drill with 2 batteries and charger from B&Q for about £80 a few years ago, but I found that I'd have to switch to my corded drill for bigger holes and masonry. Then I bought the Makita DHP458 last year, and the difference was MASSIVE. That plus the 4Ah battery and a charger will be on the high end of your budget, but it's probably worth it over the bargain "drill + 2x battery + charger" budget packs (where the batteries aren't compatible with the other Makita tools). Not sure if the same applies to DeWalt etc.

Associate
18V Makita all the way. Preferably with at least a 3Ah battery, if the battery is less than 3Ah then it won't be compatible with other more powerful Makita cordless tools (SDS, Jigsaw etc).

Soldato
5ah batteries will be quite heavy though.

one of my 3ah batteries died on my Makita drill so I replaced it with 2 x 2Ah instead.

I am not a tradesman though and I don't have anything other than cordless drills at present.
I have recently been doing a lot of work in my loft to turn it in to a room and the 2ah does run out a bit quicker (obviously) but with one always on charge I always have battery, just means swapping a bit more often.
2 x 2ah wasn't much more than a single 3ah.

As said above though defo go with 18v tools, just makes it easier/cheaper to expand later on.

Soldato
I bought this: https://www.its.co.uk/pd/DCF887M1D1...-1x-20Ah-1x-40Ah-Batteries-_DEWDCF887M1D1.htm

And then added this: http://www.powertoolworld.co.uk/dewalt-dcd796n-18v-xr-brushless-combi-drill-body-only

I think I only paid £60 (new) from eBay for the latter though. I opted for the Dewalt as they seemed to offer the same specs as the comparable Makita but seemed to have better deals available (i.e. list price was the same but can be gotten cheaper), also I liked the fact the chargers will take any of their battery's - I'll probably end up with some 10/12v units to keep in the house all the time and the main tools in the shed. So this might be useful.

I've been really pleased with them, the battery's seem to last ages, quick to charge and have stood up well to anything I've thrown at them.

Associate
OP
Soldato
5ah batteries will be quite heavy though.

one of my 3ah batteries died on my Makita drill so I replaced it with 2 x 2Ah instead.

I am not a tradesman though and I don't have anything other than cordless drills at present.
I have recently been doing a lot of work in my loft to turn it in to a room and the 2ah does run out a bit quicker (obviously) but with one always on charge I always have battery, just means swapping a bit more often.
2 x 2ah wasn't much more than a single 3ah.

As said above though defo go with 18v tools, just makes it easier/cheaper to expand later on.

I prefer the weight of the 2ah batteries as well was a God send when I was plasterboarding a ceiling with hundreds of screws to drive.
Even the 2ah last ages in my impact driver, the multi eats then fast though, but I can charge another faster than I can use one.

Associate
I've been looking at this kit - http://www.diy.com/departments/maki...twin-pack-2-batteries-dk18015x2/642650_BQ.prd

I figured it'd probably do the trick as:

a) It's 18v so powerful
b) I'll be using it only over short spells, so need lots of power, every now and again, plus I can use one battery and have the other on charge

Assume I could go on to upgrade the battery in the future if I like.

Just be wary of this -
  • The 18V batteries supplied are not compatible with the Makita LXT range"

Back
Top Bottom