Looking for a media streamer

Associate
I've decided to ditch the HTPC and give it to my wife as the spec is better than her PC. I want to replace it with a little box to stream the media that's on my NAS, as that's all we ever use the HTPC for.

I want something which will play all common video and audio formats, has gigabit ethernet and can passthrough DTS-MA and Dolby digital true HD via HDMI to my amp. I've been looking at the WD live but they dont seem to have gigabit net and it's vague whether they can passthrough HD audio. Any recommendations? Sub £100 if possible.

Associate
I've been through a few media streamers over the years, started with a Pinnacle Showcentre 100 then the 200, before moving onto a Popcorn Hour A110, this has recently been shelved in favour of an Apple TV. I have never been much of an Apple fan, but on seeing a colleagues that was running XBMC well that as it off to my local shop and £105 later it was all mine, Jailbroken within 10minutes of plugging it in and I haven't looked back, although I am running PLEX instead of XBMC, as I find the simple interface much easier to navigate and also has a nice way of splitting the kids films out from the more adult stuff. Granted the AppleTV2 doesn't have the gig interface you said you needed but I have had no issues streaming HD content to it.

Syngress

Associate
OP
I must admit I've never bought an Apple device before, but I will consider it. I take it passing through HD audio is supported? Gigabit ethernet was simply because everything else on the network is gigabit, but if it's going to do the job it's not that important I guess.

Associate
OP
Anyone else? Still not sure the Apple will do the HD passthrough, in which case any opinions on this AC Ryan which does appear to handle DTS-MA & Dolby True HD?.

Alternatively, anyone have any experience of the Asus O!play plus ? Also from looking on the AV Forums they seem to like the Dune players there, but they are a bit pricier.

Last edited:
Associate
i've tried 3 media streamers in my time the first was the asus o'play and it was awful, the second was a ac ryan mini v1 and it couldnt passthrough dolby HD and struggled on most blu ray rips, i then spent the extra and got a popcorn hour a-200 and has been part of my home cinema now for 2 years, yes it has bugs but i haven't found any that hamper how i use it

Associate
OP
Thanks for the replies, I've been asking around on the avforums as well and think I've decided on the Dune 101, doesn't have gigabit but seems to get the thumbs up from people who are using it, also just comes in under my £100 budget.

Back
Top Bottom