Looking for a new career - any Ideas please?

Associate
Hi All,

I'm 27 I have respectable GCSE's, and two A levels in IT.

I have administration experience and more recently Sales experience, but I feel like I'm stuck in a rut in my current sales role as I don't enjoy it at all.

Ever since leaving college I haven't had an idea of what I wanted to do for a living. Id like some suggestions on what career path to go down. I have been considering enrolling on an evening course at College in particularity AAT Level 2 in order to gain some formal qualifications.

Does anyone have any suggestions on what career path I should take?

Associate
AAT is a great starting qualification to start studying if finance/general business interest you.

I also find that those that have studied AAT are much more competent at the fundamentals of accounting rather than someone like me who went straight to studying one of the chartered qualifications.

Man of Honour
Hi All,

I'm 27 I have respectable GCSE's, and two A levels in IT.

I have administration experience and more recently Sales experience, but I feel like I'm stuck in a rut in my current sales role as I don't enjoy it at all.

Ever since leaving college I haven't had an idea of what I wanted to do for a living. Id like some suggestions on what career path to go down. I have been considering enrolling on an evening course at College in particularity AAT Level 2 in order to gain some formal qualifications.

Does anyone have any suggestions on what career path I should take?

What aspects of your current sales role do you enjoy and which elements don't you enjoy?

What does success look like to you? Is it money, is it an office close to home with fixed hours, is it getting out of the office to meet new people, is it the ability to have a good social with colleagues, what is it?

Caporegime
As above, you need to try figure out what you enjoy. Perhaps if you're going down the accountancy path then some of your sales experience can help there with client facing roles eventually. Most important thing though is to find something you enjoy, if you enjoy the area you work in you're simply going to be more motivated and are much more likely to succeed leading to you less likely to end up feeling as you are currently.

Soldato
Never met a happy accountant, always see it scoring low on job satiscation and always in the top 10 of those "Unhappiest Jobs" articles, but I guess if you enjoy accuracy and numbers it might pay off.

My uncle managed to become a partner at a large accountancy firm after around 12 years, he seems very happy. Perhaps it's at the entry level where things aren't as interesting and probably entail more of the less interesting dog work?

Soldato
Police? As per my other post in another thread...currently in a sales Job and have been for the last 10 years or so. Like you getting bored of it and wanted an actual career.

Its proved to be quite a long process for my force (I think it will be approximately 2 years from when I first applied to me starting early next year) but may be different for forces closer to you.

I can't remember if you need 2 or 3 A levels but it may be worth checking out?

Decent pay (7 years of being a PC pays you £37k+) and a good pension.

Soldato
Wow, that's some change! How're you finding it? Is it quite a high pressure job?

Training was the hardest thing I've ever done but now that I've been doing the job for a few years it's fine. Different people respond to pressure in different ways, what one person finds stressful another will not. For me personally I get a great deal of satisfaction from my job and at the end of a shift I forget about it. Loads of time off too :)

Associate
I myself finished a PhD in Microbiology last year only to realise working up to 100 hours a week for crap money and no job security wasn't going to work out as a career plan. I then noticed a job available as a Railway signaller near me, applied for it and got it.
It's a huge change from anything I ever thought I'd see myself doing but I'm really loving the job so far. It also pays about £20k more than a postdoctoral position would have gotten me staying in science and has the long term security I was looking for.

So if you notice any jobs for Network Rail appear, or a driver for a train operating company, I'd honestly give it some really good consideration.

Back
Top Bottom