Looking for a new monitor, but not sure which to go for ASUS 42" OLED or LG 45" OLED

Associate
Hi

I currently have a ASUS Nitro XV340CKP 3440x1440p 34" flat panel. I bought this way back in 2021 and has served me well so far, but I think it's time for an upgrade and want to finally get a OLED monitor.

I have an pretty decent system (about 2years old and was specced quite high at the time Intel Core I9, 64gb DDR4 etc....) - But have a RTX3080 in it, which I won't be upgrading anytime soon.

I've been looking for a couple of weeks, and have narrowed it down to x2 options that I like the look of. I use my montior for work, games & movies. (I work from home and my screen will be on for 12hrs+ during a workday...and I like to watch a lot of movies/shows - games I play are mostly flight sim/space sim/warthunder/fps tactical shooters..not COD)

• ASUS ROG Swift OLED PG42UQ - 42" 4k - Love the look of this monitor and all the bells & whistles it has, but concerned that my RTX3080 would struggle to run games @ 4k. I've never had a 4k monitor before plus it has a 300W power consumption and the LG is less than 1/2 of that.

• LG 45GR95QE-B 45" 3440x1440 - Also like the look of this with the curve screen and more adjustability of it and still running same resolution as my ACER, that I think my RTX3080 would still be ok with even going from 34" to 45". I know the PPI is lower than the ASUS, but from what i've seen people say with gaming & movies..it's still very good.

I know the ASUS is a monster of a monitor spec wise, but it's a bit more expensive than the LG....but most comparrisons i've read/watched online, tell me that the ASUS is a better monitor of the two..but was looking to see if anyone other than Youtuber's have an opinion on which would be the better daily driver.... Monitor would be getting used during work hours and after hours, so could be on for 15hrs+ each day.

Any advice would be greatly appriciated and I won't be making a decision for another couple of days at least..(I get a bonus this month, hence the itch for a new monitor) :)

Cheers...

Max.

Last edited:
Soldato
Well you currently have a 1440p monitor so at least you will know how your games with perform at this resolution, 240hz is possible with a 3080 dependent on the game off course.
PPI is not really and issue for games and movies.

I know what i would go for ;)

Associate
Not sure about the resolution on the 45" for work, what about the 34" dell oled 3440x1440 or did you want something larger.

Last edited:
Associate
I did quite a fair bit of research and I would go with the Asus 42 Oled. ( I have the 48 version and since the new firmware its been great as it fixed the 4 hour black screen issue ) . The 45 oled is also a Gen 1 Oled panel and overpriced when you consider what is coming this year OLED wise

Associate
Associate
From my reading I think I'd personally go for IPS over oled. I am.worried about burn in, I tend to leave my pc screen on and will be using it for browsing and for documents and coding. This based on price each on will cost me.

Associate
From my reading I think I'd personally go for IPS over oled. I am.worried about burn in, I tend to leave my pc screen on and will be using it for browsing , documents and coding. This is based the high price of each monitor, they will need to last a good few years.

Max, Lg seem to be the best choice so far for me. I really wished dell could match LG feature's.

Dell aftercare and swap over are amazing no hassle, superior customer service in the business when it comes to monitors.

Last edited:
Associate
LG are bad I've heard too, take yr monitor away for a month for repair.
I used dell for over 16 years and I can honestly say they have the best customer service I have ever seen. It is a big shame they haven't kept up with the likes of LG.
If I had two monitors identical LG or dell, the dell was £200 more expensive I'd go for dell.

Soldato
I used dell for over 16 years and I can honestly say they have the best customer service I have ever seen. It is a big shame they haven't kept up with the likes of LG.
If I had two monitors identical LG or dell, the dell was £200 more expensive I'd go for dell.
I still have a dell 32" 3007wfp from 2007 and 32" U3011 lcd from 2011 and both in perfect working condition. Not only dell have excellent customer service but they have amazing quality even if they don't get the look part right.

Soldato
The LG OLED 45 (45GR95QE-B) has been great for me.
Amazing for games and I have found it reasonable for work as well as long as you sit at the recommended 80cm from it.
3440x1440 is a nice resolution to drive especially when adding RT etc to the mix.
Even with a 4090 I'm kinda glad it isn't a crazy res, although Ultra wide at 1600p would've been ideal.

Yes text isn't perfect, but good enough for productivity in my opinion.
Brightness isn't great though but with some tweaking I am happy with it.

PXL-20231227-213612441-PORTRAIT.jpg

Last edited:
Associate
The LG OLED 45 (45GR95QE-B) has been great for me.
Amazing for games and I have found it reasonable for work as well as long as you sit at the recommended 80cm from it.
3440x1440 is a nice resolution to drive especially when adding RT etc to the mix.
Even with a 4090 I'm kinda glad it isn't a crazy res, although Ultra wide at 1600p would've been ideal.

Yes text isn't perfect, but good enough for productivity in my opinion.
Brightness isn't great though but with some tweaking I am happy with it.

PXL-20231227-213612441-PORTRAIT.jpg
How deep is that desk?

Back
Top Bottom