Looking for a new TV, around £5-600

Soldato
Hi

I am looking at maybe replacing my awesome Panasonic Plasma Viera 37" that is still going strong. Must have had it some 14 years now.

Originally purchased off of the back of recommendations from this forum back in 2007 I think. Never missed a beat!

But I fancy something bigger, no idea what I will do with my present Panasonic though.

Any recommendations for tv's around 55-60" please. Budget, up to 700 ish.

Thank you

Soldato
If can hold out a week or two with the deals coming, there's talks of the Hisense 55U8G dropping to £700. I'd go for that if it does.

Soldato
I'm stuck between a TCL or splurge on an LG OLED myself. Not sure I watch enough decent content to justify the OLED so may just go with a cheaper TCL for now. Reason I like TCLs is they can get quite cheap in the deals and both my Dad & brother have bought a 55" TCL after I did some review comparisons and pointed out the discounted prices.

My Dad's 55" TCL was £495 and they are basically Samsung QLED panels with TCL electronics. 55C729K 55" would be the equivalent but with a 100+HZ panel currently £649.00 on Amazon maybe another £100 off if you can catch them in the sales.

Soldato
I'm stuck between a TCL or splurge on an LG OLED myself. Not sure I watch enough decent content to justify the OLED so may just go with a cheaper TCL for now. Reason I like TCLs is they can get quite cheap in the deals and both my Dad & brother have bought a 55" TCL after I did some review comparisons and pointed out the discounted prices.

My Dad's 55" TCL was £495 and they are basically Samsung QLED panels with TCL electronics. 55C729K 55" would be the equivalent but with a 100+HZ panel currently £649.00 on Amazon maybe another £100 off if you can catch them in the sales.

Sounds good. Will be looking for a 55" myself soon.

Associate
My mum has the 55 82 series TCL with Micro dimming and integrated soundbar, its a nice TV generally, picture is fine though needs some work to make it so but IMO will never look as good as an OLED, and despite being an LCD it is not that bright either, the CPU in the thing is just not good enough really at this price point IMO, laggy UI etc, though she only has 30Mb internet so not sure how much that impacts it, it was quite glaring in the shops really how much OLED stand above LCDs generally for image even she was gravitating towards it in the shops as the LG (well actually all OLEDs ) stood head an shoulders above everything else on display but it was too much of a bump up for her.

Soldato
My dad has an abysmal broadband connection of about 3mbps and the Android TCL occasionally gets a spinney circle with YT but generally you don't notice the bad connection too much but yeah it isn't exactly lightning responsive. I prefer the simpler LG OS menu system myself anyway but the TV I'm currently using is an older model with less functionality.

However I've caved and ordered an LG 55" C1 OLED via AO for £1099 (-£100 discount) with 0% finance of £30 x 36 months with option of paying off at any point. Almost tempted by the 65" but it was over the 0% limit offered on the website.

Associate
If can hold out a week or two with the deals coming, there's talks of the Hisense 55U8G dropping to £700. I'd go for that if it does.

But to note, the UK version of this isn't the really decent US model. In fact, the UK, EU and likely ROW market versions shouldn't be an U8G model at all.

Associate
Hi

I am looking at maybe replacing my awesome Panasonic Plasma Viera 37" that is still going strong. Must have had it some 14 years now.

Originally purchased off of the back of recommendations from this forum back in 2007 I think. Never missed a beat!

But I fancy something bigger, no idea what I will do with my present Panasonic though.

Any recommendations for tv's around 55-60" please. Budget, up to 700 ish.

Thank you

Philips Ambi android 58inch 2020/2021 tv for 679. I have one it's great, not OLED great but for the price I'm well happy with it.

Back
Top Bottom