Looking for a pc that'll last me 10years.

Associate
Hi guys, hope someone here can help me or point me to the right direction. I'm not actually looking for a top of range pc to do gaming or programming. I want it to last 10 years or so, as years go by with windows and browser updates our computer will start to lag. I will play some games on Steam, and I like to go back on old classics like StarCraft, Age of empires or Sims, and online Poker. Watch a lot of Youtube and Netflix.

So,
processor I only need about mid range
RAM, I like a lot maybe 16GB+
Graphics I only need a mid to low range one

I also prefer quiet as possible pc as will be using mainly at night when finish work so don't want it to be too noisy with the fan etc. Any suggestions will be appropriated thanks.

OcUK Staff
Hey Ryu,

Welcome!, just a few questions and i would love to help,

Are you self building?

Whats your budget?

and do you need any peripherals / a monitor with your purchase?

Associate
OP
I was thinking of just buying the pc tower from the website, just wondering what to add to it. Budget prob about 1500 or less. I'm just going to plug it to my old HD 42" tv, so don't need a monitor. Just need decent CPU and Graphics as I won't be touching them. 16 GB ram good to start with. As for storage, think I like 3 slots, one for few TB HD and two SDD, maybe start of with 1TB SDD and upgrade the other one few years down the line when I need more space. Any more question let me know.

Soldato
It's very unlikely that it would actually last you 10 years, i'd probably go with 5/6 at most. As for buying prebuilt, the issue with this is limiting your choices against the budget. You'd be much better off building yourself as you'd get more for your money.

Have you looked at building yourself at all?

Associate
OP
Soldato
Never thought about it, and never tried, how much would I be saving you think?

I'd say on a £1000 system you'd save in the region of 20% give or take, but more importantly you'd also have total control over which components go into the system. A lot of prebuilds skimp or cut costs on some level, judging from another thread as an example OCUK sometimes user lower end B450 motherboards (such as the Gigabyte DS3H) in their prebuilds. On the other hand, you can always get a specific parts list and ask OCUK how much they'd charge to build it for you, so technically still getting a prebuilt system but with the guarantee of good components.

As other posters have mentioned however, 10 years is a long time in the tech world. I can see 7-8 potentially being viable with a GPU upgrade down the line, but it's all guesswork as we don't know what sort of impact the next gen consoles will have.

Associate
OP
Thanks for the info, yeah B450 motherboard no good, I'm looking at ASUS prime X570P, I want to start with 2x16GB ddr4 3200mhz, then add another 2x16GB few years down the line to make it to 64GB. I'm not much a gamer, mainly easy PC to use and less maintenance work, so I don't need any liquid cooling. Normal air fans enough. AMD Ryzen 5 3600x is a good start and Radeon RX 5500 XT 8GB. Storage space is where it'll cost the most I think. I haven't paid much attention recently and now theirs more to just standard SSD. Nows theirs M.2 ssd and PCI-E ssd. Should I pay more say 2tb intel 1800 read and write vs 2tb samsung 3500read 3300 write.

Soldato
Thanks for the info, yeah B450 motherboard no good, I'm looking at ASUS prime X570P, I want to start with 2x16GB ddr4 3200mhz, then add another 2x16GB few years down the line to make it to 64GB. I'm not much a gamer, mainly easy PC to use and less maintenance work, so I don't need any liquid cooling. Normal air fans enough. AMD Ryzen 5 3600x is a good start and Radeon RX 5500 XT 8GB. Storage space is where it'll cost the most I think. I haven't paid much attention recently and now theirs more to just standard SSD. Nows theirs M.2 ssd and PCI-E ssd. Should I pay more say 2tb intel 1800 read and write vs 2tb samsung 3500read 3300 write.
Go with 3600mhz ram, its the sweet spot for Ryzen. The price difference between 3200 and 3600 is not that big if at all depending on where you buy it from.

Associate
OP
Hi, sorry not been on for awhile been busy, still not bought anything yet. I found out motherboard the main issue atm, finding the right one for me. Which low price end motherbaord supports 4 slots for RAM. Also looking to have 1 slot for HD and 2 slots for SDD.

Soldato
Pretty much any ATX size board has four DIMM slots.

And especially for just six core Ryzen B450 motherboard is more than enough.
MSI's B450 Tomahawk could decently take also 12 core as update with proper case airflow.

And in SSDs there's very little Windows/game loading time difference between NVMe and SATA.
https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=nvme+ssd+hdd
So despite of all marketing hype, for home user there's little sense to start hoarding NVMes drives.
Most motherboards have six SATA connectors giving plenty of upgrability in storage for HDDs and SSDs.

Soldato
For a PC that lasts, the secret is to get a higher spec one when new.

For example, the original i7 came out in November 2008. If you had purchased one of those machines, then 12 years later it's actually still a usable processor.

What you don't want however, is buy cheap then you'll be upgrading again in 3-4 years.

Soldato
Trying to think why so much ram ?

would run gtx 1060 with driver tweaks for any old skool games

https://hothardware.com/reviews/retro-gaming-enhanced-integer-scaling-in-nvidia-graphics-drivers

Ryzen 3600 or 2600 to save some cash , along with 16GB ram Max - unless your running Poker Sims with multiple stacks along side when your Playing Poker Online. Then I can see 32GB of ram and help a few do Poker only rigs - but they are based around fastest single core performance and that would be Intel (Bare in mind these guys were out to make money from it)

from AMD

https://wccftech.com/radeon-integer-scaling-works-on-all-gcn-and-newer-right-not-quite/

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom