Looking for a used bike is tough

Soldato
I sold my Honley 100cc scooter the other day as it was a bit small for me and want a big bike again.

Had a XJ600 before that so maybe get another one if I can see one that's not bad condition.

I have about £900 but it seems right now £900 does not get you much like it did a few years back :(

Soldato
OP
Yea not after anything special.
I have seen lots of CBR 500/600 or similar design.

But I wanted a more sitting upright bike with wider handle bars
I think I will be getting another xj600 for my price range.

Looking in 45 miles range from Luton.

Associate
I passed my test in December and wanted the cheapest piece of scrap i could find, just to get me going.

I couldnt find anything worthy for under £1000. In the end my buddy sold me his fazer fzs600 which he was using as a winter bike.

Been fantastic, dont think i would have found anything anywhere near as good for what i paid.

Soldato
There's a fair few bikes around, at roughly £1 per cc. Few Hornets, couple of Fazers, a 'loverly' yellow Daytona... even a Bandit, if you're that way inclined!!

Caporegime
I sold my Honley 100cc scooter the other day as it was a bit small for me and want a big bike again.

Had a XJ600 before that so maybe get another one if I can see one that's not bad condition.

I have about £900 but it seems right now £900 does not get you much like it did a few years back :(

900 cpuld net you a fairly ratty but solid older vfr 750 or vfr 800

Soldato
OP
I bought something but having buyers remorse lol.
It's a CBF600 2004 66000 miles

Mostly the fairings need work and to be bolted on better.
I should have thought about better.
cbf1.jpg

cbf2.jpg

cbf3.jpg

Caporegime
It's a bike for less than a grand, you can't expect too much tbh.

That said, that bike looks fine, a bit of elbow grease will change it completely, and it even has heated grips. Start off with the blacks around the clocks as that's what you look at whilst riding. She'll clean up just fine, don't you worry :)

Soldato
OP
Yeah true, I guess because my mate was not there to give a proper look over.
I know some stuff but not a lot.

Should be ok I only paid £700 so I can also sell it on later if I don't like it.
Going to get insured and go for a proper test ride tomorrow.

Soldato
Those bikes are very well made, I had one for, hmm 6 months or so but was in the family from new.

Bit heavy, bit boring, but very well made. Honestly it ain't a bad bike to have, and as above it'll clean up nice.

The one I had I did:

1. Rebuilt front calipers with new pistons and seals
2. New rear disc
3. Chain and sprockets
4. New plugs
5. Oil, oil filter, air filter
6. Clutch cable
7. New tyres (didn't do those myself)

Completely sanded/repainted all of the lower engine section, used black heat proof spray, came out really nice. Back to black plastics, thorough clean. Managed to unsieze the centre stand and got that nice a free. Also had to repaint some other parts.

I did learn one thing though don't completely drained the brake fluid if that's the abs version. It's fixable, but takes a while.

But yea anyway, once I had done everything it came out really nice, like new.

So don't have too much remorse mate, you can do far, far worse, especially for what you paid it's a decent bike mate.

Edit: oh yea put a new battery also

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Well, I was not happy with the CBF600 and someone wanted it for what I paid :)

Got me a nice Yamaha XJ900 1997 today for £700 with a nice tank bag, spare parts and colour correct paint.
And not long ago had a full new Motad exhaust system.
It's been well looked after and I would be the 3rd owner.

XJ900.jpg

Back
Top Bottom