Looking for advice on Ultrawide purchase.

Associate
Hi.
Back in 2017 I purchased a new 32' 2560 x 1440 144hz Samsung monitor, you guys might remember it, it was the predecessor to the odyssey range. C32HG70. It has served me well and still works fine to this day.
At the moment I'm thinking about upgrading to Ultrawide, to be more specific, 3400 x 1440, the Alienware 34' DWF QD O-LED 165hz is on sale direct from the manufacturer and has really caught my eye as the price is good and the reviews are aswell.
just really after some advice and some feedback from anyone else who has changed up to Ultrawide, maybe you've even bought this monitor after being used to 16:9.
It would be great to hear some of your thoughts and suggestions.
I'm running a 7800x3d and 7900XTX Nitro+.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Ultrawide is king IMHO. I've owned so many different monitors(40",34",32",27",25",24",144hz,175h,240hz,VA,TN, IPS and now OLED) but are finally happy haven gotten a Samsung G8 OLED(3440x1440 oled). I think that Alienware will serve you very well. It's the same panel as fare as I know as my G8. I would have gotten it myself but the smart features of the G8 was very appealing as I like to watch primevideo and similar on the PC and it's a pain in the behind on Linux if you want 1080p+ streaming.

Anyway, get it if your budget allows and you wont regret it. You don't have to go crazy with the remedies for OLED Burnin i feel. Use a screen saver, something like window's mystify, on a 2 minute timer and if you don't want a black desktop then find some animated ones using wallpaper engine or similar. I personally also use transparent taskbar that hiddes and a dark mode extensions for all website in my browser but the later is more because I hate all white websites as my eyes easily is strained by it.
Thanks for your input, that's very helpful.
I go dark mode on all my windows aswell, white can be so piercing, especially at night.

Associate
OP
another vote for the DWF from me. I think for the price in the uw market it cant be beat
Yeah, it does seem like a great price.
I was looking at the MSi Meg 342C UW, OCUk had it for around £800 for a short time but it's gone back up to over a grand and is well out of my budget even at the lower price.
At £650 for the DWF I can convince myself.:D

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Guys FFS please stop talking about the DWF. It isn't what I need or want, but I am GOING TO BUY IT if you keep it up.

Edit:

I swear to god my daughter won't eat now. This is on you

C7tHuDv.png
Great post. :cry:
When is it arriving?. Put up some photos when you get it up and running.

Back
Top Bottom