Looking for advice/ what would you do etc

Soldato
Hi guys,

Current situation;
* two cars plus work van household
* van cant be used for personal usage.
* my car (large) was brought and paid for before this job ( 3 years ago) and was doing 30k a year on motorways
* missus car (tiny) was city run around.
* my job means I barely use car (2.6k between mots)
* my missus can see her new work place from the upstairs window so her car did 1.8k last year.
*both cars are or near 10 years old, the large car cost 500 to get through its mot last year and is only worth1.8k max due to car park dents :(
* I have a toddler and all the crap that goes with it.

In an ideal world wed sell the small car as it's too small for day trips longer than a couple of miles or weeks away but missus won't drive the car as it's too big for her.

So my options are:
Sell both cars and either;
* lease hire a new car and due to the low mileage wed get a decent deal.
* buy a sub 10k second hand car, part exchanging one car and using my savings for the rest.

Keeps both cars isn't a option as I have to already keep the battery on a conditioner on the large car and spent last Wednesday releasing the hand brake ( driveway is bloody steep).

Any ideas on what would be best? As I'm really torn

Soldato
Since you do so few miles why not consider buying a newer, but higher mileage (though well maintained) car for relatively less money, then as you keep it and do so few miles, it will slowly become an average mileage car...?

You should lose a lot less in depreciation this way.

Soldato
OP
Since you do so few miles why not consider buying a newer, but higher mileage (though well maintained) car for relatively less money, then as you keep it and do so few miles, it will slowly become an average mileage car...?

You should lose a lot less in depreciation this way.
Yeah I was looking at a couple of focus's/ golfs at the 13k mark. Had sub 40k on the clock and were 3 years old.

Soldato
I'd go for a second hand but high mileage car. As new as you can get but with miles on it so the depreciation is already done for you, then when you come to sell it will even out.

Caporegime
sell both cars and get an i3 or leaf for your mileage.

the savings in road tax, repair costs (no moving parts) and fuel will pay for the car vs running 2 old cars.

Back
Top Bottom