Looking for an AWD high performance practical estate... Golf R?

Caporegime
Hi guys,

I have been researching cars now for a good while as I want to buy my first one in a long while after mostly renting and using public transport. My requirements are:
  • 2017 and newer
  • Decent power (300PS or so) and automatic gearbox
  • Petrol (no diesel)
  • Estate (for skis, bikes, shopping and road trips with mates)
  • AWD (for winter and skiing)
  • Nice looks and build quality
  • Good tech inside like active info display and adaptive suspension etc
  • 2-3 years warranty and servicing left
So far I cannot find better than the 2017 Golf R Estate which comes in at around £30-35k with bag of performance and tech and a proven chassis and practical, comfortable and spacious layout. It's pretty economical too for the performance.

I live in a pace where insurance and road tax combined come to around £750 and I won't be using it too much except weekends so running costs are also not a huge concern (within reason).

Ultimately though the more options I see the more I am leaning towards a VAG group 300PS model... they just look like the best all-round options.

To give an idea of prices where I live:

Cupra 300 https://www.autoscout24.ch/de/autos...st=2&trans=21&uprop=2&vehtyp=10&yearfrom=2016

Golf Estate R https://www.autoscout24.ch/de/autos...st=2&trans=21&uprop=2&vehtyp=10&yearfrom=2017

Audi S4 https://www.autoscout24.ch/de/autos...rice_asc&st=2&uprop=2&vehtyp=10&yearfrom=2016

It is around a 30% step up in price from Cupra to Gold to S4.

Also:

BMW 320 https://www.autoscout24.ch/de/autos...st=2&trans=21&uprop=2&vehtyp=10&yearfrom=2017

Mercedes C 200 https://www.autoscout24.ch/de/autos...st=2&trans=21&uprop=2&vehtyp=10&yearfrom=2017

Ultimately though the more options I see the more I am leaning towards a VAG group 300PS

Anything else I should be considering that is comparable while bearing in mind my above requirements? Any thoughts would be appreciated. :)

Last edited:
Caporegime
OP
CLA AMG shooting brake?

S4 avant?

If running costs aren't a concern... Just get an extended warranty if you're that worried.

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201808169568683

Thanks but I actually don't like Audi S4's that much and they are ten-a-penny where I live... everyone has them as a company car. Plus, 2014 modely haven't got all the tech goodies I want like Active Info Display and adaptive suspension etc. I really want 2017 and newer.

Caporegime
That was an RS4 and if you're worried about car's being 'ten-a-penny' why are you getting a Golf? Sounds like you've found what you wanted and you need someone to tell you it's a good idea.

nam

nam

Soldato
I have just had 2 great years in a 66 plate Golf R estate and i would say there is very little to match it if you looking for fast compact combi (as the Germans say). Economy wise i would not say the Golf R Estate was great but that could be because i live in London and it was daily city driver. I have now gone into an S4 Saloon and there is a big step up in terms of refinement and quality and cost but that is expected as the S4 is an Executive Saloon

See if you can find an Earlier 66 plate and save a bit of cash , :)

Good Luck

Caporegime
OP
That was an RS4 and if you're worried about car's being 'ten-a-penny' why are you getting a Golf? Sounds like you've found what you wanted and you need someone to tell you it's a good idea.
No need to get ratty just because I don't like your idea old chap. And an Audi RS4 is more power than I want... 300PS is the area I am fine with.

Soldato
Where on earth do you live that everyone is driving 330bhp/360bhp Audis as company cars??? The tax must be eye watering

Man of Honour
Not really a suggestion but having some of those requirements (can just chuck things like bikes in the back) I did actually check out the VW Amarok the other day - a bit different and not exactly sporty if that is what you wanted a decent size engine for.

Soldato
and probably won't have the toys he wants.
In fairness I think they get everything the Golf does nearly, certainly the new ones come with adaptive suspension and active info display as standard fit. The options list is quite sparse on account of how much is specced standard.

Edit, though it looks like you can't order a new one, presumably because of WLTP problems for VW.

Soldato
new v60 T5 estate - much prettier ? not a v6 but the golf R isn't either, you can get up to ski resorts w/o 4WD
- needs to be petrol like R too ?

Caporegime
OP
I think the only other car that gets close to a spec list that essentially describes a Golf R is the Leon Cupra ST, which is pretty much a Golf R with a Seat badge.
Hmm the price is around 25% less for a used one but I don't like the look of them vs the Golf and the kit levels and interior quality are definitely a step down from what I have seen so far... I will do a bit more research.

BMW 3 SERIES 335d xDrive M Sport Shadow Edition Touring
Sorry I forgot to say I don't want a diesel... petrol only. That does look fantastic value but residuals where I live are dropping hard for Diesels. :(

new v60 T5 estate - much prettier ? not a v6 but the golf R isn't either, you can get up to ski resorts w/o 4WD
- needs to be petrol like R too ?
Lovely car and great tech levels but AWD is mandatory for me I'm afraid.

It may be the case that the Golf is the ideal solution, but I am still open to ideas until they run out. :)

Man of Honour
I actually don't like Audi S4's that much and they are ten-a-penny where I live... everyone has them as a company car.

I would imagine that virtually nobody has an S4 as a company car. It makes absolutely no sense as one as the BIK is insane.

residuals where I live are dropping hard for Diesels

if this is true then you'll surely get one much cheaper...?

Back
Top Bottom