Looking for fast estate - F11 535D?

Man of Honour
I've put down a £250 deposit on one. It's being delivered Saturday. Once I've test driven and inspected it I will transfer over the money if all is well. It's done sightly higher miles than I wanted at 77K but it comes with an 18 month fully comprehensive warranty. I double checked this with the seller and he confirmed it's 18 months not the 12 months listed. I'm hoping it gives us relatively trouble free motoring. I'm looking to take a job that's literally 5 minute walk down the road so our mileage will be even lower than I once though. Spec wise, I'm happy with it, got most of what I wanted apart from HUD and LED headlights.

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202101298489223

It looks nice with the exception of the Ebay M grille and the 520d door handles (Never understood why people do that?).

Man of Honour
I'd imagine they've just pulled the chrome off. They probably don't realise that by doing that they just make it look like the bottom of the range one - the 518d and 520d are the only F11 which don't come as standard with the chrome handles.

Soldato
Chrome door handles are awful though, nobody likes them. Is the same true for the G30? I have seen one on the road without the chrome and thought straight away how much better it looked for it. Will it be a 520d then?

Man of Honour
Chrome door handles are awful though, nobody likes them.

They look great on the F10. It's just a stripe. Looks wrong without them.

Never worked out why some G30 have them and some don't. In the F10 they come with the ambient lighting package which all but the 4 pot diesels have as standard.

Associate
OP
Are any of the connected drive services worth getting? I really like the idea of being able to send a location from my phone to the car via Google Maps. I'm guessing I'll need some kind of subscription to keep the maps updated as well. The Connected Package Plus looks like it's got what I need.

Soldato
Apparantly getting more and more common. When reporting the police asked me, is it a BMW? so they're aware it's a 'thing'. Yes unfortunately, disklok, after 5 years of not needing one.... :(

The M Sport steering wheels even second hand are hugely expensive on eBay. Once you have any of the optional bits like heating, vibration or Traffic Jam Assist they go up even more - full wheel with all 3 options and paddle shifters would set you back close to £2K from BMW and £900 off the bay!!!

Never worked out why some G30 have them and some don't.

Comfort Access maybe? On the A6, you only got chrome handles if you had Keyless entry option ticked.

Man of Honour
Last G30 I drove had comfort access, basically every other option, was Luxury spec and had 340bhp and still had black handles :D

A quick search suggests it was a model year 2019 change across the range, a real shame as they are quite a subtle feature and the side looks a bit bit basic without them. Probably because I instantly think '520d' when i see them :D

Associate
OP
So I am now a proud F11 535D owner. The car was in excellent condition all round and couldn't find any problems with it. Got our usual mechanic to plug it into his diagnostic machine to check for faults which there were none. Took it for a test drive and I can see why the 530D/535D gets a lot of love, it's an amazing car to drive. The build quality is in a different league compared to my parents A6 BiTDi from the same year. I would say their car definitely feels like it has more grunt in it but that may be down to the fact it's not as refined as the 5 series. I noticed what Fox said about the front fender side chrome being missing, it's really annoying me now! I've looked on eBay for replacements and I think this item is the right one?

Last edited:
Associate
OP
I'll look to get some soon, it's literally been raining non stop all day! Couple of observations:
  • Eco Pro mode is painful :p Feels like a 518D.
  • Interior quality is superb.
  • iDrive is a very slick system.
  • Gearbox is sooo smooth, under normal driving you barely feel it. Even when putting foot it's not brash.
  • HK sound system is decent but hasn't blown me away. I probably need to play around with the EQ
  • Paddles...... The sports mode seems to do the trick when "pressing on", I don't see me using them much.
  • Map version was 2014 so currently updating them, the software on my PC seemed really crash happy.
  • The pan sunroof is really lovely, the amount of difference in terms of light levels means we'll probably leave it open all the time.
  • The door bins are blooming tiny, stops us hoarding rubbish though :p
One question I had for 530/535D owners was which gearbox mode you normally leave it in? I'm leaning towards comfort and then sports when I want a bit of fun. I don't see me using eco mode unless the fuel savings are massive.

Man of Honour
I rarely use Eco Pro these days but got into the habit of using it on long motorway journeys. The main benefit to eco pro mode is that it allows coasting on MY15 cars onwards. I can't remember if yours will have it or not - if it does then when you lift off the throttle in eco pro mode the revs drop to idle and the car coasts.

Otherwise I leave the car in Comfort. I rarely use Sport mode and the paddles are almost never used either, which is ironic given how much effort I went to in order to ensure I have them. The gearbox is absolutely fantastic and is seemingly never in the wrong gear.

It took me ages to get the HK system sounding right but once I did then I was really happy with it.

Associate
OP
Long motorway journeys is about the only use I see for it. Makes the whole car feel sluggish. I'm not sure if I have coast feature or not. I will look out for it, I'm still new to automatics so might not have noticed it.

I feel like I need to use the paddles because they were on my must have list but as you said the gearbox always seems to get the job done. I'll have a tinker with the EQ, it's all quite flat at the moment.

One random thing I've noticed is that when starting up the car, the digital part of the dash flashes up M550D. Has this been changed from factory!?

Back
Top Bottom