Looking for new 4K TV (possibly 120hz for Next Gen consoles)

Soldato
I bought a Hisense A6250 middle of last year I think it was, cheap at £299 and does OK with regular HDR10 but I would like to look at upgrading for next gen consoles etc.

I have never had an OLED/QLED so not really clued up on what they are. Apart from a lot more colours what do they provide? Budget would be around £1000. Might be pushing the boat out at £1000 but want to see what I can get, if anything around this price. Size would be 50inch or around because I have a sink in my bedroom and not long rearranged the bedroom furniture so do not want the TV clipping the sink drawer.

I have seen HDR10+ and HDR+10 Pro but no idea what these bring to the table over regular HDR10.

AFAIK it needs to be HDMI 2.1 correct?

I won't be biting the bullet just yet, just getting an idea of what is out there, will probably upgrade after I get the new consoles.

Thanks.

Last edited:
Soldato
This may be a good place to start

In general HDR 10+ is a form of Dynamic Meta Data. Basically boundaries such as brightness can be set on a frame by frame basis. Dolby vision is a competing technology, but right now has more traction in the marketplace it seems. Some manufactures will offer one or the other (LG - Dolby Vsions, Samsung - HDR 10+) then some offer both (Panasonic for example).

if you want 120hz @ 4k with HDR then yes you would need a TV with HDMI 2.1.

OLED = Organic light emitting Diode, in a nutshell you get perfect blacks as the pixels themselves can turn off. As a result contrast can be pretty astonishing. Mix in low input lag, fantastic picture even on game mode, etc it will explain when a number of peple, myself included are picking up LG's OLEDs which offer 120hz @ 4k, HDR, and with VRR.

QLED = basically LED TV with Quantum dot filter. To be honest Samsung who are main pusher of it seemed to have basically made them worse over the years to push the 8k panels. In general though, QLED's do get brighter (why some prefer them in bright rooms) and can have more colour volume. But you cannot get perfect blacks as there is a backlight always on.

With a budget of around £1000, if you can stretch that, would look at 55" OLED from LG. Maby from John Lewis with their extended warranty that guarantee against burn in. Only thing is the new 2020 models have come out which command a premium so unless you get a C9 55" which would be a bit above your budget by £100. However given you sound like your waiting a while, possible the 2020 models will drop in price around black Friday like 2019 models did last year.

Soldato
OP
Will have a look cheers. I did spy a nice looking Samsung Q80R and that is around £899. I think it may be best do ditch 120hz as they seem slim pickings.

Edit: Just did some measuring. The distance in height between my sink top and top of my new desk is 2.5 inches. So would need a base to be that tall if its to be 55 inch but should not overhang too much, 1/2mm at most.

I can fit 55 inch but would leave 1/2mm spare max either end.

Last edited:
Caporegime
I'd watch the Q90R v Q90T comparison by HDTVTest on Youtube before going the Q80R route, the Q90R looked terrible in game mode because the local dimming gets turned off or something. From what I saw the 2020 TV's are much better for gaming despite having fewer dimming zones. If you're buying for next generation you'd be better off with something like the Q80T.

doc

doc

Associate
I use a Q90R for streaming movies and PC gaming and it is still one of the better screens out there.

It can do 4k 120hz, but it drops the colour to 420, so it looks good, but doesn't look great if you know what you're looking for. If you leave it at 4k 60hz, you will get HDR and RGB colour.

It is a bit fiddly to setup, which may explain one of the comments above. You have to use HDMI Port 4, enable Input Signal Plus and set the device to PC to make it look great with a PC. There's a few other settings, but everything works well (including dimming zones).

I'd be suspect of any screen claiming HDMI 2.1 right now as there aren't any 2.1 sources to test on and no one is claiming FULL 2.1 compliance, which gives you the holy grail of enough bandwdith for 4k 120, 444 colour and HDR or the same with 8k 60hz.

Caporegime
This is the video I was referring to (skip to 8:48):

The 2020 QLED's are technically inferior but they seem to be better optimised for gaming at least, plus they have full HDMI 2.1.

HRL

HRL

Soldato
Having recently purchased a C9 I can confirm the picture is frankly astonishing with a decent 4K source.

1080P upscaled isn’t too shabby either.

No regrets other than I wish I’d bought one earlier in the year when they were a bit cheaper!

Soldato
OP
I have rounded up 3 TV's and now to decide which is the best.

1. LG 55NANO866NA can get for £999

2. Samsung QE55Q70T plus free Samsung HWT400 Soundbar for £1099

3. Sony Bravia KD 49XH9505BU is this the same "line" of PS5 ready tv's? I saw the Sony XH90 is, but this is looking like the XH95. Can get for £1099.

Edit: Also looking at a 55inch LG B9 PLA for £1098.

A little over my wanted budget at £1099 but I'm sure the extra is worth it.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Think I'll go for the XH95 then, mind it's only 49" but my current tv is 50" so won't miss much. Not fussed about the VRR thing I don't think my current tv has it anyway. I shll place the order soon or early next month.

Soldato
OP
That's what I was thinking, although it would be nice I was aiming too high.

I have ordered a 49" Sony XH95. Very slightly smaller than my current but I won't miss an inch.

Soldato
Realistically how many games will be running 4K at 120Hz?

Probably some platformers. Hopefully they allow 1440p 120hz signal in which case you can still enjoy it. And for consoles VRR really doesn't matter much at all, 99% is gonna be strictly vsync anyway.

Caporegime
Realistically how many games will be running 4K at 120Hz?

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/...firmed-120fps-games-for-ps5-and-xbox-series-x

Full list of 120fps PS5 games

• Dirt 5

Full list of 120fps Xbox Series X games

• Dirt 5
  • ExoMecha
  • Gears 5
  • Halo Infinite (multiplayer)
  • Metal: Hellsinger
  • Ori and the Will of the Wisps
  • Orphan of the Machine
  • Second Extinction
Backwards compatibility could also result in 120fps titles, with Series X running some previous-gen games at double their original 60fps frame-rate.

If you have an ultra high-end PC with next-gen GPU (3080 Titan) then maybe most games could run at 4k/120hz....but that's a lot to pay for some extra frames.

Back
Top Bottom