Looking for Printer recommendations

Soldato
With both kids now at secondary school I'm in need of a printer for their homework.

Is there anything that comes recommended?
Don't really want to spend more than £100 and something with cheaper ink catridges would be ideal!

Brother inkjet printers are good enough and compatible cartridges are cheap. Don't update the firmware though (or do your research) as that can reduce or stop compatibility with 3rd party cartridges.

look up brother laser printer, they have 2 or 3 in that range. It does not have duplex printing but you can get either a compact printer or one with a paper tray depending on size.

If you want reliability then nothing beat wired connection rather than wifi.

If for homework go with a brother laser printer.
Inkjet printers are difficult to maintain with the cartridges often blocking up.

Thanks all, I've just been looking at the Brother HL-L2400DWE on Amazon, I'm guessing toner subscriptions is just a thing now?

Budget Brother laser printers are great for the money, been using and recommending them for years. Not sure about any subscription malarkey, none of the units that we have bought in have been anything other than printers that you put replacement toners in when it gets low, no funny business.

The problem is Brother are apparently selling printers with subscriptions and if you cancel the sub they stop the toner from working. You can buy the printer without a subscription - make sure thats what you do and read the small print.

Still undecided on which printer to go for. Ideally I will need colour for the kids homework so thinking about the Epson EcoTank ET-2860, only problem is it will clog up if unused for a while!

Still undecided on which printer to go for. Ideally I will need colour for the kids homework so thinking about the Epson EcoTank ET-2860, only problem is it will clog up if unused for a while!

Yes it will if left long enough
Eco tank still has cartridges
Just they are inside behind/after the ink tanks
Print off a page every now and then that uses
All of the colours and will be fine
I go weeks or even longer without printing stuff

Yes it will if left long enough
Eco tank still has cartridges
Just they are inside behind/after the ink tanks
Print off a page every now and then that uses
All of the colours and will be fine
I go weeks or even longer without printing stuff
Brilliant, thank you mate. Think I will just order the ET-2860 then.

Last edited:
Brilliant, thank you mate. Think I will just order the ET-2860 then.
Should the worst happen
Rather than take it apart to clean the
Little tubes coming from tank to cartridge
Which is a pita to do
There's a hidden option for severe clean
Forgot exactly but something like
Turn printer off
Turn on and hold a certain button at same time
And it shows severe/deep or whatever
The exact wording is clean
Uses a lot of ink though

For the print a page using all the colours
Just google it there's a few available

Don't do it. I had Lexmark inkjet and never again. Those weeks will turn into months and then when you want to use it and print something quickly it'll be clogged up and you'll spend time trying to unclog it or getting new cartridges because the quality will be so bad with blocked nozzles you get stripes/banding.

Go laser and be done with it. Brother 8690cdw have a £100 cashback offer on at printerland. Other option is Brother 3760 which is smaller.

Don't do it. I had Lexmark inkjet and never again. Those weeks will turn into months and then when you want to use it and print something quickly it'll be clogged up and you'll spend time trying to unclog it or getting new cartridges because the quality will be so bad with blocked nozzles you get stripes/banding.

Go laser and be done with it. Brother 8690cdw have a £100 cashback offer on at printerland. Other option is Brother 3760 which is smaller.
That's a lot of money for essentially a kids homework printer, fingers crossed the Epson works out for us.

EPSON ET-2750 I have this one. not sure how many years now. ink cost penys literally. i print few pages every second week. never missed a beat.

I bought a Canon TS5051 for the same reason about 4 years ago and haven't regretted it.

I buy the cheap inks from eBay, which come in at about £6 for a full set if you buy a few sets at once, so I don't care how much the kids mess about printing multiple copies etc.

It's discontinued, but the successor TS5151 is only £50.

Back
Top Bottom