• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Looking for some advice regarding my 295x2

Associate
Hi all,

Bought a 295x2 over the summer, while sometimes it's been an absolute beast, I would be lying to say it hadn't had it's disappointments as well.

I run at the res of 3440x1440 so I do need a fairly powerful card (I like to max things), and so crossfire needs to work. Unfortunately I find it's just not supported that well...new titles and old (FC4, AC3, Watch Dogs etc) don't have the support I'm looking for and GPU usage isn't what I'd like.

So I'm considering selling it and switching to Nvidia. What would you guys suggest? I'd probably look at SLI 970s or 980s. Is SLI much better than Crossfire these days? Would it be worth the switch.

Thanks in advance.

EDIT specs:

Maximus VII Hero
12GB RAM
1TB HDD
OCZ 100 GB SSD
Superflower 1300W PSU

Last edited:
Associate
Martini is right what's your full set up. Are you running the latest drivers and have you gotten the latest profiles for crossfire.

As for sli being better than crossfire? Nope; its actually fallen behind specially when you add in the framepacing the r290 series has.

They both are suffering from lack of profiles it seems; though Nvidia seems a little bit more behind than AMD right now.

Honestly; I wouldn't switch as you'll have the same and more issues with sli; as you'd end up spending more money to as I said have the same issues.

Watchdogs has had crossfire support for while now; FC4; both crossfiire and sli have had issues with the game...and AC3 also had crossfire support for while.

You've listed Ubisoft games; they have issues with all cards..period :D advice; stay away from Ubisoft games :D

Soldato
Hi all,

Bought a 295x2 over the summer, while sometimes it's been an absolute beast, I would be lying to say it hadn't had it's disappointments as well.

I run at the res of 3440x1440 so I do need a fairly powerful card (I like to max things), and so crossfire needs to work. Unfortunately I find it's just not supported that well...new titles and old (FC4, AC3, Watch Dogs etc) don't have the support I'm looking for and GPU usage isn't what I'd like.

So I'm considering selling it and switching to Nvidia. What would you guys suggest? I'd probably look at SLI 970s or 980s. Is SLI much better than Crossfire these days? Would it be worth the switch.

Thanks in advance.

They is on going debate that Crossfire is now offering the better gaming experience when it comes to frame latency and micro-stutter.

They be people on here that will disagree but if you do some googling and look into Frame latency from both sides you see the bigger picture..

Soldato
Far Cry 4 is a poorly coded console port. You're unlikely to see particularly great GPU usage.

I'm guessing AssCreed 3 and Watch Dogs are similar.

Associate
OP
Sorry forgot to put specs

Maximus VII Hero
12GB RAM
1TB HDD
OCZ 100 GB SSD
Superflower 1300W PSU

I'm a bit surprised Nvidia seems to be lacking behind. I always hear that they update more frequently and games are running better. But perhaps it's a case of the grass is greener.

Associate
In theory Ubisoft favors Nvidia more than AMD, if you play ubi game only then going green is a better option, otherwise I cant see why you would want to change.

And recently all ubisoft games have issues when they released, I am still waiting for FC4 CF support from ubisoft+AMD. They have solved the ACU CF and it is doing not bad at the moment.

Associate
OP
In theory Ubisoft favors Nvidia more than AMD, if you play ubi game only then going green is a better option, otherwise I cant see why you would want to change.

And recently all ubisoft games have issues when they released, I am still waiting for FC4 CF support from ubisoft+AMD. They have solved the ACU CF and it is doing not bad at the moment.

Unity Crossfire is still terrible for me. I get better performance disabling a 295x2 GPU than I do leaving XFire on.

Associate
Interesting to hear about SLI problems I'm seriously upgrading to 970 SLI come January when my money gets paid into my account. Interesting to hear that people think Crossfire is better than SLI at moment. Factoring in G-Sync and less heat etc which would say is better Nvidia or Radeon ?

Ubisoft have never properly optimised a game for PC it's pretty poor showing as they are one of the biggest game studios these days. Hoping the upcoming Assassins Creed Rogue which is coming out for PC soon is better optimised it should be as it is coming out months after 360 and PS3 versions.

Last edited:
Associate
I had a R9 295x2, which it benched like a beast, was quiet and ran very cool. However in game was another story. On a 1440p monitor playing War Thunder aircraft I was getting 60-70 fps on some maps and others 40. Planetside 2, in a remote location my fps was about 80 and in combat about 30-40.
I swapped to 2x GTX 980 SC's and War Thunder my fps on those same maps is a minimum of 100 and averages around 140. Planetside 2, in a remote location my fps was around 150 and in heavy combat didn't dip below 50 and most combat it held between 60-80.
I found the way the 295x2 used its power very underwhelming and very lazy at points. Even disabling 0 core so the other gpu was always active, it still didn't make the laziness any better. The card was a real shame, so much potential in benchmarks but lack luster in reality.

Associate
If you can hold on a little while next gen AMD news is trickling in.

otherwise it's down to budget. just from all accounts the scaling improvements on SLI are ok for two cards. but not for 3. cards

Associate
Seems as though, at the minute, crossfire is scaling better than SLI, Also the games you have named are made by pubisoft, pubisoft are s*** when it comes to making anything on pc work, they rub console oil allover their bodies before the good old ******* sony and microsoft give them...
Sorry for the hatred, A) dont like ubisoft B) Newcastle just lost to sunderland :(

Back
Top Bottom