Looking for some upgrade to Thread ripper advice please *check spec*

Associate
Good Morning

Sorry to bother you but i'm really looking for some advice regarding my computer upgrade and i'm hoping you might be able to help me please .

At the moment I run a Ryzen 1700X on a Taichi board with 48G Ram I use Virtual machines a lot and can now have up to 20 running at one time .

Of course this maxes out my PC so i'm looking to upgrade to a thread ripper but i have a few questions i'm really hoping you could answer and guide me with please ?

I'm looking between the 1950X or is it worth paying the extra to the 2950X ?

I'm a big fan of the Taichi board i use at the moment but I've noticed OC have no stock atm and if i did get a Taichi X399 board would it run fine with those CPU's?

My next question is the memory issues would either of these memory sticks work on the system ?
DDR4 Quad Channel - (2666MHz) 64GB (4x16GB) Corsair DDR4 Vengeance LPX Black PC4-21300 (2666), Non-ECC Unbuffered, CAS 16-18-18-35, XMP 2.0, 1.2V
Or
DDR4 Quad Channel - (2800MHz +) 64GB (4x16GB) Corsair DDR4 Vengeance LPX Black, PC4-24000 (3000), Non-ECC Unbuffered, CAS 16-20-20-38, XMP 2.0, 1.35V

I've checked on the Asrock site for memory the model number for Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB DDR4 3000 MHz RAM/Memory Kit 4x 16GB 64GB (4x16GB) Corsair DDR4 Vengeance LPX Black, PC4-24000 (3000), Non-ECC Unbuffered, CAS 16-20-20-38, XMP 2.0, 1.35V is Manufacturer code: CMK64GX4M4D3000C16

On the site Asrock site it has this :-
a1gxg8.png

If not what would you recommend was hoping for something around £475+ price for 64Gig

I'm also running a old 750 W ( 7/8 years old) Corsair PSU which i'm looking to upgrade too.
Not sure what the BitFenix Whisper power supply 850W 80+ Gold are like and same with Seasonic FOCUS+ Gold 1000 watt power supplies ? Always used Corsair .

Last question ( sorry )
I run a AIO cool master atm 120mm fan push pull want to do the same on the thread ripper but seem to only find the Corsair Hydro Series H80i V2 All-In-One Extreme Performance CPU Cooler with 120mm Radiator, 2x 120mm Fan, Intel/AMD, TR4 ?

Does this come with the bracket for the TR4 ?

Thank you

Soldato
I'd grab the 1950x and then overclock .

Seems as your.moving up to more and more VRM.

Spend the extra on Aorus Xtreme or MSI Godlike with their superior VRMs , specially once you go over 16 cores .
Money saved using 1st gen over 2nd could pay for it . Set you up for Zen2/3 Thread rippers in future .

I recommend Bequiet 360 AIO or eisbaer. Yes the cold plate isn't as big as TR4 built CLC, but are lot bigger then cheaper CLC units and will performance a lot better !
Cooper rad and thicker ID tubing helps .

Whipser is tier One and Focus is Tier 2 but right at the top end. Whipser would be almost entry Tier 1.
Both good units

TR overclocked can pull some serious watts :)

Two sticks of Team Group 3000hz 32GB, think still on deal for £209.

Associate
OP
I'd grab the 1950x and then overclock .

Seems as your.moving up to more and more VRM.

Spend the extra on Aorus Xtreme or MSI Godlike with their superior VRMs , specially once you go over 16 cores .
Money saved using 1st gen over 2nd could pay for it . Set you up for Zen2/3 Thread rippers in future .

I recommend Bequiet 360 AIO or eisbaer. Yes the cold plate isn't as big as TR4 built CLC, but are lot bigger then cheaper CLC units and will performance a lot better !
Cooper rad and thicker ID tubing helps .

Whipser is tier One and Focus is Tier 2 but right at the top end. Whipser would be almost entry Tier 1.
Both good units

TR overclocked can pull some serious watts :)

Two sticks of Team Group 3000hz 32GB, think still on deal for £209.

Thank you for taking the time to reply appreciate it

Will take a look at the memory missed those to be fair when i was looking .

*EDIT* ah those or Duel mem sticks not quad though ?

So it's very important to have better VRMs then ?

One issue is i only have room on the back on my Li lain server tower for a 120MM fan . So there's no way i can fit 3 fans as you recommended in my tower at the top or side ?
29o0dww.png

One reason i looked at the H80I

I'll be honest not sure if i would even overclock it to be fair.

Thank you again .

Last edited:
Soldato
if you plan to overclock, do AVX workloads or plan to use more cores in the future for increased VRM

you'll have to buy 2 packs. dual and quad stick packets makes no difference

My basket at Overclockers UK:
Total: £428.68 (includes shipping: £8.70)

that case is a modders dream along with TJ07!

Total: £88.69 (includes shipping: £8.70)
have to see if the height clearance is okay though

sorry, that CPU cooler would be to tall at 162mm+ , need something 150mm max...​

Last edited:
Associate
OP
if you plan to overclock, do AVX workloads or plan to use more cores in the future for increased VRM

you'll have to buy 2 packs. dual and quad stick packets makes no difference

Total: £428.68 (includes shipping: £8.70)

that case is a modders dream along with TJ07!

Total: £88.69 (includes shipping: £8.70)
have to see if the height clearance is okay though

sorry, that CPU cooler would be to tall at 162mm+ , need something 150mm max...​

Thanks again for the reply

Had that case years now !

I was under the impression quad Ram would be better than the dual interesting that then ...

Soldato
Last edited:
Associate
OP
depends on the workloads you are doing etc . since you've got quad channel, just stick in 2 kits of 2x 16gb or 1 kit of 4x16gb. which ever is cheapest but keep to 3000hz and not under it .

might have to run at stock, and get another fan

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/noctua-nh-u12s-tr4-sp3-cpu-cooler-120mm-hs-03e-nc.html

Thank you for your time again .

Work loads won't be much on the vm's to be fair just internet / web site stuff .

Not sure i can be hearing a whirling fan noise used AIO for years now .

So will possible use this https://www.overclockers.co.uk/cors...cpu-cooler-120mm-cw-9060024-ww-hs-037-cs.html

Man of Honour
I built basically the system you are looking at for a lab, I used the 1950x on release day and haven't been disappointed in its raw performance, it's an absolute monster of a cpu.

https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/threads/home-lab-threadripper-build-thread.18789497/

It's a long old thread and initially the Taichi was not a great board to build on, this has now changed and the Taichi works a treat. I'm running 8x8gb 3466mhz g.skill @ 2933 or 3200 when gaming and the cpu at 4.1/4.2 boost with 3.7/3.8 base. TR as a lab build is a really great option.

Associate
OP
I built basically the system you are looking at for a lab, I used the 1950x on release day and haven't been disappointed in its raw performance, it's an absolute monster of a cpu.

https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/threads/home-lab-threadripper-build-thread.18789497/

It's a long old thread and initially the Taichi was not a great board to build on, this has now changed and the Taichi works a treat. I'm running 8x8gb 3466mhz g.skill @ 2933 or 3200 when gaming and the cpu at 4.1/4.2 boost with 3.7/3.8 base. TR as a lab build is a really great option.

Thank you will have a read late of that thread.

Thanks for your time

cue some questions after i have read it :p

Associate
OP
So confused what to plump for still keep reading up on stuff lol

Are the motherboard really worth that price difference then say from a MIS meg to a Gigabyte X399 Aorus Xtreme or a Gigabyte X399 DESIGNARE EX ?

Even tempted now to swap case from my very old lian li to a Fractal Design Define XL R2 Full Tower so i can run a 240 rad at the top as i have no hole on my Lian Li and think it will be tight if put any in .

*~Confessed ! *

Associate
OP
Meg and Aorus worth it over the Designare.

Aorus is bit more of a workstation board due to Lan ports and believe it's thunderbolt enabled , can't remember

Decisions decisions then what to go for spend the extra on the cpu and better mobo , or 1950x and a decent board .

Man of Honour
Personally board wise I would go either hero, or Taichi. I don't do msi products because msi suck donkey balls as a company. As far as I am aware and given your "virtualisation" use case go with something proven. My thread above is a solid reason why.

The Taichi is a really solid bet, Wi-Fi, 2x lan, 6x sata as opposed to 4 on most other boards. Layout wise the Taichi is much better than all the Asus boards imo also. I own a few x399 boards and always end up back with the Taichi, this is mainly because my ram works faster in it, my cpu will overclock more in it and the layout of the board is top notch my 1950x can happily sit at 4.2 all core while my 8x8gb gskill will do 3200 with stability, this is not the case for my Asus prime board which even at the same voltages just can't match the Taichi.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Personally board wise I would go either hero, or Taichi. I don't do msi products because msi suck donkey balls as a company. As far as I am aware and given your "virtualisation" use case go with something proven. My thread above is a solid reason why.

Thanks for your reply can i ping you a pm please?

I have a taichi now in this Ryzen 1700x build always been pleased with it. Though someone mentioned possibly VRMS issue wit it ?

Soldato
At the moment I run a Ryzen 1700X on a Taichi board with 48G Ram I use Virtual machines a lot and can now have up to 20 running at one time .

Might it make more sense to have a dedicated VM box separate from your workstation? You might look at Fleabay for an older dual or quad Xeon system with lots of RAM.

Back
Top Bottom