Looking for suitable fan

Associate
OP
reinstalled the cpu again. Don’t think I secured the cpu fan as well as should. This time I heard the clicks. Turned pc on and well it no longer beeps in fact it doesn’t do anything at all, new fan on the back goes round for about a second and then nothing happens. Pc doesn’t even boot up.

Associate
OP
Take out cpu and double check for bent pins
Try using onboard gfx
Maybe try a different psu
:)
Everything worked fine until I put the new i7 chip in well not exactly new, got it off eBay. I’ve even put in my old chip and my old graphics card and nothing changed. Could something have blown on the board?

Soldato
Sounds like a problem caused by changing to new CPU. Maybe cooler mounting, but most likely in the CPU to CPU mount. Maybe a bent pin. Is this with same cooler / same cooler mount? I've seen similar when cooler mount / back-plate was shorting something out.

Associate
OP
Sounds like a problem caused by changing to new CPU. Maybe cooler mounting, but most likely in the CPU to CPU mount. Maybe a bent pin. Is this with same cooler / same cooler mount? I've seen similar when cooler mount / back-plate was shorting something out.
Yes. If it turns out to be cpu then I’ll be demanding a refund.

Soldato
Yes. If it turns out to be cpu then I’ll be demanding a refund.
You are assuming you did not damage the socket removing old CPU and installing new CPU. Basic process of elimination is system that was working and did not work after changing CPU, but when original CPU is re-installed system works it's bad CPU. Your system is not now working with original CPU, meaning the CPU you bought may not be the problem. It might be that somehow there was damage to CPU socket while changing CPUs. Not saying this is for sure, but it is a possible cause of problems like this that we've seen here on forum before. Hopefully it's just the new CPU is bad, but socket damage/bent pins could possibly be the cause of your problem.

Associate
OP
You are assuming you did not damage the socket removing old CPU and installing new CPU. Basic process of elimination is system that was working and did not work after changing CPU, but when original CPU is re-installed system works it's bad CPU. Your system is not now working with original CPU, meaning the CPU you bought may not be the problem. It might be that somehow there was damage to CPU socket while changing CPUs. Not saying this is for sure, but it is a possible cause of problems like this that we've seen here on forum before. Hopefully it's just the new CPU is bad, but socket damage/bent pins could possibly be the cause of your problem.
I was very careful when taking out old one and putting new one in but yes can't really explain why it didn't work when i put old one back in. I know on motherboard 2 sata connectors broke so might need new motherboard anyway. Woman I spoke to on phone when arranging booking said if it's motherboard then it would need complete rebulid so could be more but not sure it would need that if they replace it with another board that's socket 1150 which they could.

Soldato
I was very careful when taking out old one and putting new one in but yes can't really explain why it didn't work when i put old one back in. I know on motherboard 2 sata connectors broke so might need new motherboard anyway. Woman I spoke to on phone when arranging booking said if it's motherboard then it would need complete rebulid so could be more but not sure it would need that if they replace it with another board that's socket 1150 which they could.
I have no idea where you took it (don't really care) but many computer repair shops do not have anyone who is really a good computer tech/builder doing the work. I'm assuming your computer skills are minimal and that is why you took it to a shop, but I will say most shops have only marginally skilled tech so "Let the buyer beware" should be kept in mind.

Associate
OP
I have no idea where you took it (don't really care) but many computer repair shops do not have anyone who is really a good computer tech/builder doing the work. I'm assuming your computer skills are minimal and that is why you took it to a shop, but I will say most shops have only marginally skilled tech so "Let the buyer beware" should be kept in mind.
Been going to this place for years to buy pc parts.

Last edited:
Soldato
I really do not care where you have taken your computer, but I suggest you edit out the name of shop before a mod sees it. OcUK does not let us mention names of any other shops or give any other website addresses.

Back
Top Bottom