Looking to buy first guitar... help!!

Soldato
you never know until you've messed about for a few months as to whether you will want to play it for real, so grab any guitar and try to have some fun, if you enjoy it and persevere then look into a proper one

gluck

I agree to a point, But don't take it too far with the any guitar.

When I was first starting out, I bought a guitar and Amp For £40. I played it for a month, And grew bored, Because I didn't seem to beable to get anywhere. Never seemed to improve.

Then my brother got into guitars aswell, and he bought himself a Charvelle.

And I started practicing on his. And the difference between my playing on the cheap guitar and playing on that one. Gave me a fresh sense of wanting.

Needless to say I got rid of the cheap guitar, Spent some money. And I was better for it.

Now, My brother is a lot more into guitars and can spot problems, And apparently that guitar I was starting out on. Never kept tuned and had a slightly Warped neck. Thats from new :p

Soldato
OP
Yeah thats basically what im thinking, Im not even sure if i will actually manage to learn to play which is why I'd prefer to buy something that has everything needed then if in a year or so I do actually play it ok I can then look into buying a proper guitar.

Even though people have suggested the Yamaha 112 would it really be that bad if i went for something like the encore as the shop i plan to get it from is about a mile down the road.

Its all well and good going into a shop and trying out a guitar but being a "clueless" noob so to speak its actually quiet embarrassing.

Soldato
Don't be embarrassed - most Guitar Shop have friendly staff, at least my local (PJ's) are friendly and cater for the total noob to the advance and wanting more clients.

Just pop in, tell them your budget and see what they have to offer:)

I personally started out with an Acoustic, learnt the basics then read up on the internet before heading to the shop to try out the various guitar - I wasn't jamming like the rocker next door with his pinch harmonics but I found the guitar I like best for my money's worth back then... (went with a Ibanez RG321MH :))

Soldato
I agree to a point, But don't take it too far with the any guitar.

When I was first starting out, I bought a guitar and Amp For £40. I played it for a month, And grew bored, Because I didn't seem to beable to get anywhere. Never seemed to improve.

Then my brother got into guitars aswell, and he bought himself a Charvelle.

And I started practicing on his. And the difference between my playing on the cheap guitar and playing on that one. Gave me a fresh sense of wanting.

Needless to say I got rid of the cheap guitar, Spent some money. And I was better for it.

Now, My brother is a lot more into guitars and can spot problems, And apparently that guitar I was starting out on. Never kept tuned and had a slightly Warped neck. Thats from new :p

yep i agree with you on the ease and playability of a good guitar over a plank with dodgy frets as it can make learning easier. I forgot i have an Charvel with reversed headstock in the loft as the electrics and preamp are in bits and need replacing, but it has the best neck for playing ive ever had ... must get round to getting it fixed

Soldato
The same thing applies to guitar as it does headphones I found. I've learnt that when you're a beginner, it is completely pointless to buy the cheapest stuff you can find to "start you off". Even if you don't think you're going to get into playing the guitar, it is well worth it buying a decent guitar even if it's your first. Let's say you buy a cheap £100 package (amp, guitar, strap etc), and you get into it and start enjoying playing the guitar. That cheap £100 is going to hold you back, and because you've just spent £100 on that you might not be able to afford a better one.

Basically, in the long run, it will save you money buying something good at the beginning, rather than wasting your time buying lots of cheap crap things.

Man of Honour
In terms of value for money, as has been said again and again, I don't think you can beat the Yamaha Pacifica at any price point. It really is a sublime guitar. Squire guitars are good as well, but in terms of quality the Pacifica pretty much whomps everything at a 'budget' level.

With a big whomping sound.

*WHOMP*

Soldato
OP
Now im really confused, went into the local guitar shop explaining that I dont have a clue about em but would like to learn, mentioned that I had done some research online and was recommended the yamaha pacifica by several people, the guy in the shop said they were good but your paying a premium for the name, and that as a beginner on a budget a "package" guitar would be ideal, pointed me at the cruiser ST100 package.

After a little research its the same thing sold by the likes of Argos so it cant be good.

Grrr why can't it be easy :(

Man of Honour
Now im really confused, went into the local guitar shop explaining that I dont have a clue about em but would like to learn, mentioned that I had done some research online and was recommended the yamaha pacifica by several people, the guy in the shop said they were good but your paying a premium for the name, and that as a beginner on a budget a "package" guitar would be ideal, pointed me at the cruiser ST100 package.

After a little research its the same thing sold by the likes of Argos so it cant be good.

Grrr why can't it be easy :(
Premium for a name? Absolute rubbish, the yamaha is FAR superior to the majority of beginner guitars. Infact in comparrison its being sold at an inexplicably low price.

You can't really argue with the value of a 'pack', but saying that the pacifica is 'paying for a name' is simply outrageous!

Perhaps he has a large amount of Christmas 'pack' stock to shift. Not that all packs are bad, but the reasons he gave were very misleading.

Soldato
OP
Ok well fed up with trying to decide, so looking at just pressing the confirm button on a Yamaha Pacifica 012 kit (guitar, amp, case etc) at 130 bucks.

Yay or Nay ? I have 20 minutes to decide.

I would like to go for the 112 but its just beyond my budget which im already stretching past what I wanted to spend. Maybe if I enjoy playing and learn at a reasonable pace It can be a future upgrade.

Back
Top Bottom