Looking to get a new 21" or 22" CRT - recommendations?

Soldato
Flibster said:
Ask her to stop watching big brother on the large cancer emitting CRT in the lounge then. ;)

Sorry - but the amount of radiation that CRT's produce is tiny. You get a higher dose and alpha and beta particles from a glow in the dark watch...

Many people who had to apply the radioactive coating on the hands got facial tumors.

Can't say I've got that many tumors from using CRT's for the past 20 years...

If she's that paranoid - take her mobile phone away from her. ;) That emits microwaves that will slowly cook her brain

As she's a nurse she should know better than to believe all the crap that is spouted about radiation levels. Hell - if you live on granite the background radiation is higher than if you live on standstone.

Just buy the damn screen anyway. ;)

Here endeth the lesson

Simon/~Flibster

[edit]
Or maybe not... *sorry this really ****** me off*

Does she EVER go outside? The largest source of radiation on the planet is from?

DING DING DING DING!!

The sun! Light=radiation
[/edit]
hIT tHE nAIL! :cool:

Also TFT DOES emit radiation as well though it is lower than CRT but thats nothing to what Flibster have said about phone and sun!

Soldato
MrLOL said:
tbh CRTs will die eventually

and rightly so, they produce too much heat, are too big and heavy and quite frankly i cant see a need for them over a TFT

buy a good TFT, from a good manufacturer, and the image quality will be every bit as good as CRT. Response times are at an all time low, so that really doesnt come into the equation. I've got 2 TFTs myself, both without dead pixels, and bought 2 TFTs for my parents, again both without dead pixels. Yes it happens, but you just return the monitor under distance selling regulations within 7 days. Yes you have to pay the cost of returning it and re-ordering another one. But at least your not stuck with a monitor with dead pixels

furthermore most TFTs will operate fine out of their native resolution. Only cheap ones will handle it badly. My 20" widescreen will run just fine at 1280 x 720 if i want it to.

Stop being a luddite and embrace the 21st century :D

The screens with good repsonse times (which btw are still not close to a CRTs response, not even the 'supposed' 2 ms screens) have rubbish viewing angles, to the point where if you fill the screen with a single colour, it'll actually be a different colour at the top and bottom of the screen, and if you move up and down an inch in your chair you can see the colours change.

Also when I owned an 8 ms TN screen that ghosted a real lot. Anything that moved became blurry. Strafe back and forwards in an FPS game while looking at the floor or a wall and see how it loses all the texture sharpness on a TFT.

Then there's black depth, which is rubbish on TFTs, to the point where games that need a good deep black colour (Doom 3, Prey, Fear, Thief series etc) become unpleasant to play.

Also out of their native res, TFTs are definitely less sharp. And the low refresh rates means you end up with tearing or low framerates.

I've got a CRT and TFT next to each other, and for games the TFT is a real pain.

Soldato
In the mid 90's I used to dream about using and owning a 21 inch Display now I have 2.

I have a dell p1110 and a sony E500 both sony trinitron tubes and freaking amazing picture quality. Both exhibit the brightness thing and I have the mod instructions for when it gets too bad, but just now they warm up to the correct brightness fine.

As for TFT, we use them in work all sorts from older 15inch dells probably 4-5 yers old, 17's, 19's and a 24 inch w/s dell (Nice Screen!) plus a mix of cheapo lcds.

There are big differences between them all, the sony I use is so freaking bright i need to turn the brightness to 0. I like the quality on it but it's getting dead pixels. I use about 15-20 lcds on a regular basis and I can think of 3 that have a dead/stuck pixel/ The 17" dells seem to have a 'ultra tiny chicken wire' pattern in between the pixels, only noticable when you move your eyes. And it's very distracting.

Now my point:

The 19 inch tfts are the same size as my 21 inch screens, but only do 1280x1024. my screen does 1600x1200. to upgrade I would need at least that res which means 20 inch panels and bigger. Correct me if I'm a n00b, but these seem to be around about 500+ quid???

The cost of these panels is prohibitive when I consider I have something just as good if not better already.... which cost me only 170(dell) + 100 (sony) about 4 years ago.

It's fine saying look 17inch screens for 100 quid or whatever the flavour is, (buy 2-3 triple screen!!) but that's a downgrade, IMO.

The point about the heat they generate is nonsense as well. For a home user, anyway - It surely is only a problem if you don't like your house to be heated. There's plenty of anedotal evidence about to suggest that CRTS and PCS contirute to the house heating and means you can use your central heating less. I know for sure that was the case, in my flat a couple of years ago the only time I used the heating was when I had been away for the weekend and my PCS were switched off, it was cold coming back!

What I am lookiing for is a screen at least 1080 px high, at least 1600px wide and a diagonal of at least 20 inchs. For under £200. I'll be waiting when the time comes just like I waited 5+ years to get my lovely CRTs.

Caporegime
fish99 said:
The screens with good repsonse times (which btw are still not close to a CRTs response, not even the 'supposed' 2 ms screens) have rubbish viewing angles, to the point where if you fill the screen with a single colour, it'll actually be a different colour at the top and bottom of the screen, and if you move up and down an inch in your chair you can see the colours change.

your only re-inforcing my point that you only notice it when you go looking for it

good practice dictates that when using a PC you sit with the monitor at head height, with the monitor straight in front of you to avoid RSI

yes you if you go the edge of the viewing angle you can see the colours change. but you just dont use your monitor like that

as for the "ghosting" i think its already well established that good quality monitors have no trouble displaying FPS's without any bluring. Either you've fantastically amazing above average eye sight and can see something the rest of us cant, or you've got a poor quality monitor. Some of the poorer "8ms" monitors do indeed suffer from ghosting.

fish99 said:
And the low refresh rates means you end up with tearing or low framerates.

lol ? low framerates ??

i seriously defy you to be able to tell the difference between a vsynced game @60fps and one at @75fps

the human eye can just not tell the difference. The only reason higher refresh rates are better on CRTs is because the screen is physically being scanned hundreads of times per second, on a TFT this doesnt happen as each pixel changes individually.

Refresh rates are just so unimportant on TFTs, so it doesnt matter. And you get tearing when you disable vsync no matter what monitor type you run. Tearing is caused by the screen operating at different speeds to the graphics card. nothing to do with TFTs.

Last edited:
Associate
MrLOL said:
your only re-inforcing my point that you only notice it when you go looking for it

good practice dictates that when using a PC you sit with the monitor at head height, with the monitor straight in front of you to avoid RSI

yes you if you go the edge of the viewing angle you can see the colours change. but you just dont use your monitor like that

as for the "ghosting" i think its already well established that good quality monitors have no trouble displaying FPS's without any bluring. Either you've fantastically amazing above average eye sight and can see something the rest of us cant, or you've got a poor quality monitor. Some of the poorer "8ms" monitors do indeed suffer from ghosting.

lol ? low framerates ??

i seriously defy you to be able to tell the difference between a vsynced game @60fps and one at @75fps

the human eye can just not tell the difference. The only reason higher refresh rates are better on CRTs is because the screen is physically being scanned hundreads of times per second, on a TFT this doesnt happen as each pixel changes individually.

Refresh rates are just so unimportant on TFTs, so it doesnt matter. And you get tearing when you disable vsync no matter what monitor type you run. Tearing is caused by the screen operating at different speeds to the graphics card. nothing to do with TFTs.

i have a whole explanation in my head, but i can tell i would be wasting my time by correcting you. I will only say, on a crt where all the information is present, run Q3 at maxfps60, then at maxfps80, then at maxfps125.

If you can't tell the difference each time, then you deserve to be stuck with a tft.

Soldato
OP
Nice 1 lads she realised her argument didnt fly anymore hee hee hee. So yea thanx for all the backup and the facts...specially the mobile phone point and (lol),"ding ding ding" the sun!

So thats settled back to browsing CRTs mruahahahaaaa.

Thanx for that :)

BTW in the quest for a large screen (and I realise this is not a CRT) I was reading a computer magazine the other day and they were doing a review on 32"+ LCD TVs. There was a Samsung unit in there that got top-ratings because it can be connected to a PC and give a very hi-res image. The things £650 or so but whoa...imagine playing games on that beast!

Soldato
My mate has a 32 inch LCD tv connected to his pc. )as his main display) It's only 1366, 768 (i think) and he runs it at a higher res so it looks kinda messed up, but gaming on it is ... an experience :)

Soldato
MrLOL said:

lol ? low framerates ??

Well you didn't read my post very carefully, so I doubt you will read this one any more carefully. I said if you move up and down a single inch you can see the colours change. Your head never moves? I also said the colour at the top and bottom of a TN+Film screen is different even with your head still.

V-sync-on limits your framerate. If you are running at 60 Hz with v-sync on and your game consistently fails to draw a frame within 1/60th of a second, your framerate drops to 30 fps. And you say v-sync on is fine. At 75 Hz it will drop to 37 fps.

Also, and you can try this if you want, run a game with v-sync off at 60 and 75 Hz and compare the tearing. It will be twice as bad at 60 Hz. The higher the refresh rate the less tearing you will see.

As for ghosting, you are simply wrong. I don't have to go looking for it, it's there in every moving part of every frame. Until you switch back to a CRT you won't realize the difference. BeHardware did an article about it where they took photos of the ghosting on all types of TFT and a CRT and the TFTs all displayed ghosting even the 2 ms ones.

You might also want to read about how your TFT image could be several frames behind where your CRT would be-

http://www.behardware.com/articles/632-1/lcds-images-delayed-compared-to-crts-yes.html

Also black depth is a matter of measureable fact. The best black depth I've seen quoted for a TFT is 0.26 cd/m2, whereas a CRT will do 0.07 cd/m2, four times darker.

Buy a TFT already knowing these limitations and you will probably be happy with it. Buy a TFT in denial of these limitations and you will be dissapointed. It's better for everyone if people acknowledge these limitations rather than trying to pretend they don't exist.

Man of Honour
KatanaDV20 said:
Nice 1 lads she realised her argument didnt fly anymore hee hee hee. So yea thanx for all the backup and the facts...specially the mobile phone point and (lol),"ding ding ding" the sun!

So thats settled back to browsing CRTs mruahahahaaaa.

Thanx for that :)

Welcome. :D

Soldato
OP
viewsonic VP series have a zero dead pixel guarantee

Oh nice 1, Im looking into that right now! I thought this would be a realatively easy task but its not!

While no TFT will ever come close to a CRT (for me personally) in terms of picture-sharpness and not being tied to a native res) their one big advantage is that they have a "true" viewing area...ie a 24" TFT has a 24" viewable area but CRTs seem to lose a little cuz of the housing etc.

The search goes on!! :o

Man of Honour
Depth said:
Whats the better monitor, this viewsonic or the Samsung SM1100MB mentioned earlier in the thread? :confused:

Spec wise they both seem very similar, 130kHz with 0.20 dot pitch. The Samsung is slightly cheaper from what I can see but beyond that I guess it's down to your asthetic preferences in terms of appearance/size/weight etc. The Samsung appears to be slightly bigger but weighs 0.3kg less.

http://www.samsung.com/uk/products/monitors/crt/ks21cnibhedc.asp?page=Specifications
http://www.viewsoniceurope.com/UK/Products/CRTProf/P227fB.htm

I've love a new CRT and if I had to buy one today I'd probably go with the Sammy at £279inc simply because it's cheaper.

Back
Top Bottom