1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Looking to learn Python! Complete beginner

Discussion in 'HTML, Graphics & Programming' started by Rossuk89, Sep 11, 2018.

1. Rossuk89

Wise Guy

What would be a good starting point for someone with no programming experience but who wants to learn Python and hopefully make something of it?

Are there any official courses (Udemy etc), YouTube video's or bootcamps that are worth completing that will teach me what I need to know to hopefully land some sort of job relating to programming in the future?

I understand learning a language takes time and it's not as simple as watching some video's and then getting job offers! But I have no idea what learning material to use to start off.

I would appreciate any help, thank you

2. btph

Gangster

Get yourself over to learn python 3 the hard way. Do the first set of exercises, up till you have to pay for them. This shouldn't take more than 2 or 3 evenings, and will get you up and running with a python install, some understanding of the processes involved, and a bit of experience. After that, when you reach the paid for bit, ditch it, and download a free book called dive into python 3. Read that, do the exercises etc, cover to cover. Do it twice for it all to sink in. You'll be a mildly experienced junior programmer at this point and the whole world will be your oyster.

A couple of other comments. There are an infinite number of other ways to learn python. The trouble is you won't really know if they are a good or bad way. The approach above is one of the good ways.

Going from "mildly experienced junior programmer" to desirably employable candidate is always hard, whichever route you take. But here is one really good way to improve your chances. Contribute to some open source software. So follow the above advice, then pick an open source project or two that you're interested in, and learn them inside out. Don't even think of contributing untilll you know them like the back of your hand, the pick some minor bug and fix it. Or even better, improve the (almost always bad) documentation for the project. Just take baby steps at first. Once you have a few contributions they can start to form a "show reel" of your work. Job done, easy! ;-)

Good luck.

3. AHarvey

Suspended

Facebook : Python Programming Society (PPS) I'm a mod on there, we get lots of noob questions and when people get better we suggest they also join Python Programming Language (PPL) which is our other group.

As btph says, Learn Python the Hard Way is a good start if you prefer reading. Lynda/LinkedIn learning has some great courses but it's expensive. EDX has some great courses as well covering a lot of aspects of the language https://www.edx.org/course?search_query=python

Learning the basics can be done in a couple of weeks, lots of places will cover it, the issue then becomes "what next?" Finding intermediate material is the harder part but it depends on what you want to do.

For me, I picked it up in order to scrape data from the public XML feeds for bingo sites, it was part of my job at the time and saved my team 17 hours a day. I still enjoy scraping but I do it all manually, i need to learn to use a framework to do it.

I've built word jumbles, crypto software that does things like the caesar cipher with my daughter who's 6, now she wants to build a game so I am looking at Arcade and also at building websites.

4. balanceballs

Associate