• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Looking to replace fans on Asus Dual 1070

rn2

rn2

Associate
I have an Asus Dual 1070 8GB OC graphics card, The fans make the usual noise when they speed up but there's an annoying low tonal revving noise too, I took the card apart to see what make the fans are, they are power logic brushless fans, but I have seen some ever flow hydro fans online for sale and apparently hydro fans are the quietness and longest lasting, I am looking for quietness though, I don't want to have to take the card apart again if I don't have to but if I have to so be it, I just wondered how these fans are connected as I didn't look last time I opened it.

rn2

rn2

Associate
OP
P.S. I sent it back once and they gave a refund and so I bought the same card again, the noise was the same last time but just louder, hence why I am going down the fan replacement route.

rn2

rn2

Associate
OP
Sucks because the guy at the store where I got it from said he can't as they are made to order, I took it apart now anyway so it's void, I will look into getting two fans and connect them to a splitter. I am just wondering why one fan doesn't have a tachometer wire connection through the extension.

Last edited:

rn2

rn2

Associate
OP
Hey Krakadoom, I didn't realise my thread would get more replies, since I started this thread I started to forget about the noise until recently when I began playing a new GPU demanding game, I am thinking of doing exactly what you have done, seeing we have the same card?

I did find some everflow GPU fans online which fit and was hoping they would be quieter than these obvious crappy power logic stock fans, I have not ordered them yet as they are £20 each and from Hong Kong so if I have to return because they make a similar noise, it will be just a big waste of time.

Do your new "McGyver" fans rattle or vibrate? I imagined they might at high speeds if they can only be tied together?

Also...

I have 2 vertical case fans on the side, one is blowing air onto the GPU whilst the other is blowing air onto the motherboard and CPU above the gpu, I have one extractor fan and room for no more but it sits above the gpu, so I was wondering if you think it would be enough just to flip the lower side case fan the other way around to extract the air away from the gpu? it would be one less fan blowing air into the case but as well as the one above it, there is also a fan at the front of the case.

I have bought one of these http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/PWM-4pin-...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649 I don't think I need to buy anything else now if I do this other than the fans and cable ties right?

rn2

rn2

Associate
OP
I just ordered two of these http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Noctua-NF-B9-REDUX-92mm-PWM-1600RPM-Quiet-Case-Fan/272693764527?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649

One of these http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/4-Pin-PWM-to-2-x-4-Pin-PWM-Power-Y-Splitter-Adapter-Cable-for-PC-CPU-Fan-33cm/263022806518?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649

and one of these as a second little exhaust fan at the bottom of the rear, right under the gpu http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Evercool-70mm-7cm-70-x-70-x-15mm-PWM-12-Volt-PC-case-Fan-EC7015H12EP/390657940620?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649 I might use some gorilla glue to fix it to the base of the little ridge just behind the slots at the rear.

My warranty is void (my stupid mistake) and the card itself is only 5 months old but the noise is driving me crazy, I could buy similar fans but these fans just seem to be the answer.

rn2

rn2

Associate
OP
Thank you for the extra tips! I see you have started a bit of a trend as heatonpkmassive is going to do it too ha!

I read somewhere else that side case fans are bad, I am not sure why as they blow air in but I guess it is because they blow the air around the case rather than to the back, anyway, I may turn them around so they are also exhaust fans which means that there will only be one intake fan at the front, it is a CIT vantage case and I don't think I can install a second intake fan, I will post a picture of the inside of my rig tomorrow if I remember.

About the side fans, I may turn the bottom one to withdraw air away from the gpu and leave the top one as an intake, a bit of push and pull rather than only having one intake fan at the front doing all the work? I definitely need a second exhaust with these noctua fans and my GPU being at the bottom of the rig.

Anyway I am looking forward to doing this.

rn2

rn2

Associate
OP
I know I started this thread and yet I still have not got around to fitting the fans, I will be doing it and the end of the week as I just bought a new Noctua Tower cooler for my CPU so I will do it all together, I will post the pictures of my GPU after I finish! P.S. I will be removing the side fans to make room for the new CPU tower cooler and may also cover the vents there too. I am still looking for some vibration reducing pads to put between the new GPU fans and between the board and GPU fans.

Would these be safe to put between the fans and gpu? https://www.pgcomputercomponents.co...ack-anti-vibration-silicone-washers-623-p.asp

Last edited:

rn2

rn2

Associate
OP
it just looks the same as yours lol, I didn't put the fabric pads in and I cable tied 3 corners and boot laced the fourth as it was so far away to tie down. I ordered the wrong cable, I need a cable that will plug into the small GPU socket from two pwm fans.

I dont know why but there is a lot of sag on this card and it seems more noticeable to me now, I do think I tied the fans on a little tight as the card is bending a little, I'll fix that but the sagging seems to be due to the card weight I think.

https://ibb.co/k6DPYw
https://ibb.co/cJ1HmG

Last edited:

rn2

rn2

Associate
OP
Update, connected the fans to the motherboard and didn't realise until I played about in BIOS again that you can turn them off before they get to a certain temp. Re attached cableties as they were a bit tight. Still waiting for the cable to attach the fans to the GPU but is perfect for now! I also bought a noctua case fan to replace the cheaper exhaust fan.

rn2

rn2

Associate
OP
Yes , I'll probably stick to games that I have frame rates capped on and the internet for now, I'll keep an eye on temps through MSI and lower the temps to fan speed in BIOS if needed. I had to order a cable for two fans and as far as I can see, I could only buy it from a couple of places online, its coming from another country so it should be here by the end of next week, I paid just under £10 for it.

rn2

rn2

Associate
OP
I have spent a while testing games with temperatures but I noticed I am getting coil whine if that's possible? from the PSU, it changes with mouse movement in game, I was adamant that the noise was coming from the GPU and that I damaged it but a lot of the noise is coming from the PSU so I may have to buy a new PSU? Am I right in saying that it can effect coil whine in the GPU if it's playing up? It's a 730Watt Be quiet 80 Plus bronze. It's been in there for three years but only started making this noise a while ago, it went but now it's back, perhaps after installing the new fans, maybe not.

Last edited:

rn2

rn2

Associate
OP
Unfortunately some games require higher frame rates to reduce input lag but the whine is noticable with or without that cap in place, all be it a lit less noticeable with a capped frame rate, there are two noises which change when i move the mouse in a game. I can leave it and just ignore the noise until it gets worse but it just defeats the object of me replacing the cpu cooler, GPU fans and case fans with noctua ones.

Last edited:

rn2

rn2

Associate
OP
McGyver is probably right :p I warned it isn't pretty, but after a few weeks of running it, it is SO much better than the stock setup. It's much cooler and whisper quiet. The stock fans are LOUD when they go over 12-1300 RPM.

It does require some flow in the case, though, as the removed shroud was directing at least some of the hot air outside, and now it just kinda sits there. That means the case gets quite a lot warmer if the flow isn't adequate to begin with (and mine wasn't - had never really had the need to fix it). I added an extra exhaust fan to ensure negative pressure, and it's all good. I run at about 66C now on the GPU while playing graphics intensive games, and no effects on prolonged case temps.

I should add that removing the shroud does NOT require you to break any warranty seals, so as long as you keep the heatsink in place, you should be all good to swap it back in case something happens.

For anyone who is watching this thread I tried it in my most demanding game, 93% GPU usage without an exhaust fan and the gpu temp very slowly just keeps rising with the newly fitted gpu fans at 100% RPM (obvious when you are just blowing hot air around the case).

Put an exhaust fan in and the temperature gets to 70% and stays there at the same GPU usage, the fans still reach 100% RPMs though, I think maybe because they are not static pressure fans they don't work quite as well, my results are not so good but at least they just about do the trick with the exhaust fan installed and are quieter even at 100% RPM.

rn2

rn2

Associate
OP
I'm also thinking I might be better off with a couple of static pressure fans. Mine sits around 75c when gaming, which is a little warm for my liking. Quiet as a mouse though. I'm contemplating going out in a bit and getting a couple of Corsair SP120 PWM fans and seeing what they do. They push more air than the Noctuas but obviously with the trade off that they'll be louder. That said, I don't have to run them at full pelt with them being PWM.

If I do get some SP120s, I'll come back here and let you know the results. Some would say not necessary as 75c isn't dangerously warm, but I like my electronic components to run as cool as possible.
I don't want to spend any more money really as these Noctua fans are not very cheap, as long as the temperature stays below 75oC I will be happy, I am waiting for another exhaust fan as this Noctua one is not very quiet, I will play on the same game again for a longer period, I was sat there at 93% usage for about 5 to 10 minutes and the temperature wouldn't go over 70oC, it will be interesting to see how you get on with your fans though, thank you. You mentioned about the noise of the corsair fans, I want to find a happy medium and I hope that I have it and the temperatures don't go much higher than 70oc as the noise is just right for the 100& rpm speed.

I would guess that at 99% usage on my setup that the card shouldn't go past 75oC though, 1600rpm doesn't seem to be fast enough to keep the card any cooler.

One thing that does baffle me though is that the fan runs at 70% rpm at 63oC but at 70oC it has to go up to 100% rpm, that's quite a jump in rpms in just a 7oc heat rise. Like Krakadoom said though, sufficient air flow on the case does keep the GPU from getting too hot.

P.S. I will assume that you are going to buy the quiet edition ones :p

Last edited:

rn2

rn2

Associate
OP
I'm glad its how you want it finally :) I saw noise test of the high performance sp120 and it got loud at 2000 rpm what's Max rpm on yours? Is it the high perf one? So your full load on the previous set up did stop increasing the temperature before 80oc, that's reasuring :). Do you think the noctuas are the quietest? I mean, they only go to 1600 or so rpm so that explains some of the noise reduction, not sure what I'm going to do with it when summer arrives, just stick a desktop fan in front of the computer oscillating between it and I lol.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom