Looking to update audio - recommendations please!

Associate
Currently got the Arctis Pro wireless headset and I fancy a change. Looking to get headset/Dac combo and potentially a soundbar for those times where I don't fancy wearing the headset.

Anyone got any recommendations? I only use my PC for gaming with the occasional film/tv watching so don't need anything too enthusiast grade.

Associate
I think for that budget something like an ifi zen dac v2 and HD 6xx/650 would probably be a good shout

That's around £500-600.

I think something like the Sennheiser HD 560S will be a better choice for the budget. The Beyerdynamic TYGR 300R is also worth looking at too.

DAC/AMP wise there are lot of options around £100 and then loads at around £200 (like the Zen DAC V2 mentioned above). I suspect some of the budget options around the £100 range would suffice, but would call out the Fiio K11 at £120. Think it's an abosolute bargain for what it is.

Soldato
That's around £500-600.

I think something like the Sennheiser HD 560S will be a better choice for the budget. The Beyerdynamic TYGR 300R is also worth looking at too.

DAC/AMP wise there are lot of options around £100 and then loads at around £200 (like the Zen DAC V2 mentioned above). I suspect some of the budget options around the £100 range would suffice, but would call out the Fiio K11 at £120. Think it's an abosolute bargain for what it is.
If you shop around it can be had for that price as the dac has been sold for 120 and cans for 180 in the members market but yes I should have mentioned 2nd hand items

Associate
If you shop around it can be had for that price as the dac has been sold for 120 and cans for 180 in the members market but yes I should have mentioned 2nd hand items

Yep true, I think second-hand does open up interesting options and the options for more 'mid-fi'/mid range'.

That said the only other thing that puts me off the HD 6xx line was this comment from the Op; 'I only use my PC for gaming with the occasional film/tv watching so don't need anything too enthusiast grade.'. I'm just not sure the HD 6xx is the best fit here. I think headphones like the HD 560S, TYGR, Sundara's are all going to be better suited. The first two of those will be well within budget and are on point for that requirement.

Associate
OP
Yep true, I think second-hand does open up interesting options and the options for more 'mid-fi'/mid range'.

That said the only other thing that puts me off the HD 6xx line was this comment from the Op; 'I only use my PC for gaming with the occasional film/tv watching so don't need anything too enthusiast grade.'. I'm just not sure the HD 6xx is the best fit here. I think headphones like the HD 560S, TYGR, Sundara's are all going to be better suited. The first two of those will be well within budget and are on point for that requirement.
Been looking at this and almost settled on the HD 560S set but the only thing putting me off is what looks like questionable build quality (they look a bit plasticky for the price point). The Sundaras however look awesome, as do the TYGRs.

Anyone got any recommendations to help decide between these three?

Associate
Been looking at this and almost settled on the HD 560S set but the only thing putting me off is what looks like questionable build quality (they look a bit plasticky for the price point). The Sundaras however look awesome, as do the TYGRs.

Anyone got any recommendations to help decide between these three?

I only have the TYGRs and HD 560S and I think both are fine from a durability point of view.

The 560S are the old HD 595 design essentially been refused a number of times over the last 20 years or so. They are plastic but it also means they are light and at least have a removable cable. The HD 598 were my first proper headphones in 2010 and I never had a problem with them either before I sold them years later.

The TYGRs are essentially that classic DT Beyer build so are very durable and have that metal frame. I do think the TYGRs are better if you want a smidge more v-shaped sound than the very flat/neutral 560S.

I've read the odd report about the Sundara's but I don't think I'd worry about them either if I was buying them.

Associate
OP
That's around £500-600.

Took the plunge and bought the Fiio K11 & Sennheiser 560s and have to say, dead impressed.

Not sure if it was a driver issue or something with my prior headset (Arctis Pro wireless) but these are 1000x better when gaming.

Associate
Took the plunge and bought the Fiio K11 & Sennheiser 560s and have to say, dead impressed.

Not sure if it was a driver issue or something with my prior headset (Arctis Pro wireless) but these are 1000x better when gaming.

Glad you like both of them.

I do think the K11 is a bit of a bargain paricularly its UK price. Very clean, analytical sound. I've only seen one big Youtube channel review it (well received) but I suspect that just might be the proliferation of cheap DAC/AMPs that are all now essentially doing the same thing, i.e. a saturation of very good, cheap DAC/AMPs which all sound very similar. The only thing I don't quite like is that all the controls are based around the volume wheel (hold to switch off etc.). But that's a minor complaint all things considered.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom