• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Looking to upgrade a 1060 6GB - RX 6700 the best bet?

Associate
I'm looking to upgrade my EVGA 1060 6GB SC, to be able to play most games at 1080p in Ultra.
Would the RX 6700 seem to be the best bet?

I'm not sure how much difference the different brands make?

It would be going into a:
Monitor: AOC 24" 24G2W1G4
CPU: 5600X
MB: MAG B550 TOMAHAWK
PSU: Corsair RMx650

I'm assuming its straightforward to hook up, I just need the 6pin and 8pin connector?

Thanks for any suggestions.

Soldato
Yes the rx6700 is keenly priced and cheaper then then the next card down (RX6650), snap one up before the pricing adjusts. It will help you get those high frame rates on your 144hz monitor without compromising on quality settings (bar ray tracing)

Associate
Yes the rx6700 is keenly priced and cheaper then then the next card down (RX6650), snap one up before the pricing adjusts. It will help you get those high frame rates on your 144hz monitor without compromising on quality settings (bar ray tracing)
New cards are going to be out soon, the only adjustment will be a price drop or it being replaced.

Associate
Agreed about the 6700 stock being great value.

The prices have dropped recently but be aware that the Sapphire appears to be the stock version, not the pulse version displayed.

Associate
I would be happy to get the 6700 fighter at that price as long as you accept that it lacks performance with heavy ray tracing in games. It's certainly a good step up from a 1060. Yes it will be easy to hook up to the psu you have. It's best to use 2 cables, one to each power connector and if you feel you want a bit more guidance on swapping a gpu you will be able to find videos on Youtube

Associate
Enjoy your card. I believe that the Sapphire 6700 has one power connector compared to the Fighter's 2. So it should just be a case of using the same power cable from the psu that you have used in your 1060.

Associate
OP
Enjoy your card. I believe that the Sapphire 6700 has one power connector compared to the Fighter's 2. So it should just be a case of using the same power cable from the psu that you have used in your 1060.
Thanks. I'm hopeless with cables, so I'm hoping the install will be straightforward, although I think it may be from 6pin to 8pin now. I'll see how it looks tomorrow when I get it.
Out of interest, is there a "standard" gpu benchmark tool so I can see its giving me roughly what it should?

Associate
Hope this video helps on tools, https://youtu.be/XqY-BL5pLjQ?t=993
Swapping the cable will be straight forward, the main thing is to remember to make sure that the gpu has been released by the locking lever on the pcie slot before you try to remove it, again Youtube will have videos

Associate
OP
Now installed it. Nothing blew up!
I installed the latest drivers (22.8.1), but thats it, no tweaks.

New stats are:

1080p High - RX 6700
HNn9gFj.png

1080p Extreme - RX 6700

YxIn2ZM.png

Userbenchmark seems to think I should maybe OC it, or tweak some settings?

UQxZNPI.png

Back
Top Bottom