Looking To Upgrade

Associate
Come into a bit of money and was wanting to upgrade, undecided on whether to get the 8600 or 8700 atm but included them both so you could see both options of CPU.

Current system is
i5 3570
8GB Memory
GTX 1080

Motherboard needed to have 6xSATA Connections.

System will be used mainly for gaming and the odd streaming if I can get my head around it (Current system not the best place to start lol) and editing/encoding of Dash Cam footage and some photoshop.

Not sure if the price difference from the i5 to i7 would be worth it for my needs but I am not up to date.

Below I will show what I am currently looking at but I will ask one question, are Intel close to sorting out their chip flaw that had been announced at the start of the year yet?

My basket at Overclockers UK:
Total: £1,466.44 (includes shipping: £22.50)

Any and all help is very welcome and greatly appreciated.

PS
Not sure if the jump to the 3200 of that memory was worth it but if it is I will.​

Soldato
Much better designed board - Google buildzoid and will explain it all . Bios isn't as slick as Asus though, but better UK RMA .
Antec unit , seasonic is OEM and built on the Focus unit . 650w is plenty for 1080 , even 2080ti
Ram is Samsung B-Die and 4 sticks to make even ram RGB . Not sure if That trident kit is, have to check serial code if you want to overclock it.
9700k will perform a little better even though it's 8 threads Vs 12, but is 8 cores Vs 6. More cores always strongest as Hyper Threading normally add about 15% overall gain, specially for gaming .

Total: £956.06 (includes shipping: £11.10)​

Only problem is, Aorus boards now sell like hot cakes, more and more reviews and VRM remakes come up and they are the favoured board, though BIOs is still behind

Associate
OP
Much better designed board - Google buildzoid and will explain it all . Bios isn't as slick as Asus though, but better UK RMA .
Antec unit , seasonic is OEM and built on the Focus unit . 650w is plenty for 1080 , even 2080ti
Ram is Samsung B-Die and 4 sticks to make even ram RGB . Not sure if That trident kit is, have to check serial code if you want to overclock it.
9700k will perform a little better even though it's 8 threads Vs 12, but is 8 cores Vs 6. More cores always strongest as Hyper Threading normally add about 15% overall gain, specially for gaming .

Total: £956.06 (includes shipping: £11.10)

Only problem is, Aorus boards now sell like hot cakes, more and more reviews and VRM remakes come up and they are the favoured board, though BIOs is still behind
appreciate the feedback, I did see that board but wasn't too sure about this

Only compatible with 8th- and 9th generation Intel processors!

with the current processors I had, I went with the 2x8GB kit to save a lot of headache if I ran into any issues lol.

Associate
OP
Budget probably would have helped, ~£1000-£1500 I can spare but that will have to include an OS drive as well.

Do the NVME drives still take up SATA ports on the motherboard nowadays?

I will also stick with a fully modular PSU as well, less clutter to sort out.

Last edited:
Associate
Budget probably would have helped, ~£1000-£1500 I can spare but that will have to include an OS drive as well.

No, NVME drives use the m.2 slots, there's 2 on that gigabyte board I think and it won't disable any of the SATA ports

... Edit, 3 slots, my bad.

Last edited:
Associate
Thank you for the clarification.

Wait...call me out for BS. I thought this changed on Z390... No idea why

From the manual... Page 34
Installation Notices for the PCIEX4, M.2 and SATA Connectors:
Due to the limited number of lanes provided by the Chipset, the availability of the SATA connectors may be affected
by the type of device installed in the M2. sockets. The M2M connector shares bandwidth with the SATA3 4, 5
connectors. The M2A connector shares bandwidth with the SATA3 1; the M2P connector shares bandwidth with
the PCIEX4 connector. Refer to the following tables for details.

Associate
OP
Wait...call me out for BS. I thought this changed on Z390... No idea why

From the manual... Page 34
Installation Notices for the PCIEX4, M.2 and SATA Connectors:
Due to the limited number of lanes provided by the Chipset, the availability of the SATA connectors may be affected
by the type of device installed in the M2. sockets. The M2M connector shares bandwidth with the SATA3 4, 5
connectors. The M2A connector shares bandwidth with the SATA3 1; the M2P connector shares bandwidth with
the PCIEX4 connector. Refer to the following tables for details.

Would that cut me down to only 4/6 SATA ports then if I chose to go with a NVME drive?

Seems like a bit of a rip, using up 2 ports for 1 drive lol.

Associate
Would that cut me down to only 4/6 SATA ports then if I chose to go with a NVME drive?

Seems like a bit of a rip, using up 2 ports for 1 drive lol.

By the looks of the manual if you use any ssd in the top m.2 slot (m2m) then it will disable SATA ports 4 and 5. If you use a SATA ssd in the 2nd slot (m2a) then it will disable SATA 1 but using a pcie NVME won't disable anything. And the 3rd slot which only takes pcie NVME drives also won't disable anything.

Associate
OP
By the looks of the manual if you use any ssd in the top m.2 slot (m2m) then it will disable SATA ports 4 and 5. If you use a SATA ssd in the 2nd slot (m2a) then it will disable SATA 1 but using a pcie NVME won't disable anything. And the 3rd slot which only takes pcie NVME drives also won't disable anything.

I was going to pick up

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/sams...-3.0-x4-nvme-solid-state-drive-hd-23m-sa.html

But by the sounds of it ill be better of just sticking with a bog standard SSD drive.

Associate
OP
Soldato

Aorus z390 and intel will do you well if your after the most power

Associate
OP
This is what I have so far, 2 items are out of stock so will need to wait for them to come in but CPU will probably have gone up by then lol.

Still undecided on what fully modular PSU to go for but was thinking of this one and whether or not to stick with the NVME drive (assuming it will not use any of the SATA lines) or just play it safe and go with bog standard 250gb SSD as I have 4 Mechanical Drives and 2xSSD that will need to go in it.

Total: £1,414.35 (includes shipping: £22.50)

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Focus, Antec , superflower , cheaper and just as good :)

For me Braided Cables are a MAJOR selling point due to having 4 mechanical drives, normal cables poke out too far and can touch the side case because no cases seem to have much room between the back of the HDD and the side case.

Only Superflower ones I saw were £250+ on the website

No braided cables for Antec from what I could see

Focus seems to have the braided cable sets I may go with the 650 version of this one although not much cheaper than what I already selected.

Thank you for the additional input on PSU's, I will take them under advisement and give it plenty of thought whilst I await everything to come into stock.

Soldato
Would also personally push 500GB SSD either sata 3 port or m.2 sata rather then m.2 nmve for faster speeds that you really won't notice to much when gaming .
Plus with games hitting 60GB+ and windows taking up 30GB plus addition updates if you don't clear the older versions . Soon adds up

Back
Top Bottom