Looking for some advice for upgrading

I have the following :

Ryzen 5 5600x
RTX 3080ti
Motherboard Asus Prime x570 Pro
32gig Ram 3200mhz

what upgrades do you recommend ?

Looking for better gaming experience
What you do depends on your budget. If you can afford a full AM5 upgrade to a 7800X3D and 32 GB of DDR5 6000MHz then you should do that. If you can’t then you should put in a 5800X3D and sit tight and save your money.

Associate
i would like to play at 4k - My case is hyte y70 PSU is 700w
then to get anything meaningful from a 3080ti you're fairly limited to a 4080super or 4090 i reckon...4090 being the real 4k master..or a 7900xtx, but at these price levels I'd want the extra raytracing and dlss. The 5000 series gpu's s/b coming out in q4 of this year by what I'm reading too, so I'd hold out for those if splashing big cash
At 4k, most games are gpu limited so really to be the gpu that's going to give you the big boost...

as a guide, I'd go with sa 7800x3d/6000c30 ram kit..the tuf mobo is good enough..next step up for me would be something like the Asus strix B650e-f gaming which give better vrm's, and alsompcie5 on the gpu as well. not necessary now, and who know's in future, prob not that relevant for 5000 series gpu's but you never konw and if am5 still supported might be relevant by time high end 6000 series comes out..can't see future but there you go. Up from that would be the B650e-e gaming board which gives you 5 nmve slots, slightly diff vrms again and a digital error code display

Associate
this would be a guide only, as haven't included air cooler/aio or fans as don't know what you're using with current rig...also, I still would wait a bit....9000 series cpu's coming also..will be interesting to see how they compare with the 7800x3d. The new batch of mobo's will come too that should add thunderbolt port...next batch might lower price of existing boards also as they get rid of stock, but from what I've read that's coming a bit later than the cpu releases....and as said, new gpu's should be arriving in 6 months, which is more relevant if you gaming 4k and want top tier perfomance

going higher end here as the 3080ti wasn't exactly cheap when that came out, so just guessing a bit, as you haven't put a budget.

If buying now, put this 4090 in as was cheapest just about, but I'd look at getting a 4090fe as that's £1549 and in stock

My basket at OcUK:

Total: £2,653.92 (includes delivery: £7.99)​

Last edited:
Associate
This is my set up at the moment

ok , white build...looks v nice...above would just be an idea of cost of going full 4k build now to be a meaningful upgrade...

what specific games do you play? the x3d vcache has a big impact on some games, not so much on others...so depending on game, you might get by as @MissChief says, just getting a 5700x3d or 5800x3d and sticking that in to see you through till all the new kit arrives

Man of Honour
what upgrades do you recommend ?

Looking for better gaming experience
What do you mean by "better", what games are you having trouble with?

The 5700X3D is the only reasonably priced upgrade, but at 4K the improvement in FPS will vary a lot, even if the general smoothness is improved.

Otherwise, you'd have to spend A LOT (e.g. £1K+) to upgrade both meaningfully and that doesn't really make sense paying so much so late in the cycle.

Back
Top Bottom