Looks like ive switched to console from pc.

Caporegime
I just thought I'd post why and hopefully not get too much bashing!

Proviso.. This is my personal opinion, ie IMHO lol

I built my first pc from scratch i7 920 with 6950 just when the gpu was out, played a lot on it but always tempted by that ever extra ability to get to the next graphics setting.. I was happy and played my games etc not too bothered I couldn't always get to the top, the visuals were much better than I had seen.

After a while I guess I wanted more, I wanted to play metro at max, I got a second 6950 eventually, it improved things, but not by much tbh, and only in a few games, I quickly found myself tinkering and getting frustrated more than playing. Cf gave me issues sometimes to make the fps gain not worth the dips and crashes with one card not liking the particular overclock, I realised I wasn't playing much and sold the second one, didn't loose much so all OK.

After that I almost found it has put me off pc gaming, especially with less time due to work etc and maybe just being older?? I guess I almost was worried I would fire up a game, know I wasn't at the limit and then spend time in the settings again! I even bought some old games knowing I could max them out and couldn't get better visuals. I guess I couldn't stop getting the most out of what I had, couldn't stop trying to achieve the best possible with my hardware.

Sounds silly?

I recently got a 360 (partly because of the above but partly multiplayer and the gf likes it) Andi have to say I prefer it. I can't get any better, there are no settings to tweak, I just turn on and play. I know the pc I have gives a better visual but it's the damn tweaking I just can't leave lol.

I still play old c and c style games and civ etc, but good new ones aren't made anyway, on the pc because it's a no brainer. Also old games I missed, half life I only recently got.

Just wondering if anybody has been through similar just because it's easier basically?

Again, I dare not post this in the pc section due to the inevitable.. Enjoy your 720p gaming roll eyes smiley

Edit
Also the whole xbox brand new cost less than the single 6950 used! Cost is another big factor, no upgrade temptation! Cost per playing hour much smaller

Last edited:
Caporegime
OP
Yep, less distraction, and I rarely visit the gpu section now!

I have a new sofa coming, the room is a work in progress, need to move the 5.1 and Htpc in, the gt30 is in there waiting to be setup.

My hands are too small for playstation controllers

Caporegime
OP
These posts are all fair and constructive

I will as said keep an ok pc, for games like civ... Just seen generals 2 is out in 2013 lol

I was going to stick with pc until xbox 720 or whatever comes out but gave in to forza etc, maybe after a bit of xbox I will be able to fire up the pc and not need to push everything like I did. Hopefully as I much prefer keyboard and mouse.

About resolution, the 1440p doesn't help!

Caporegime
OP
Don't you mean Playstation controllers are too small for your hands? The 360 pad is much chunkier than the Dual Shock 3! :)

I love both the 360 and PS3, yes the PC is capable of far greater things from a technical standpoint, but consoles are cheap, require virtually zero maintenance, have no complex settings to play about with and are fairly good media extenders which is a plus in my book. I have Sky Go on my PC but why would I want to sit looking at the 15" screen when I can fire the Xbox up and be watching Sky on demand on my TV. :)

I think it's the analogue sticks, I can't keep my thumbs on them as they are convex, the xbox has concave ones and the left one in particular is easy on the xbox, as an example I used to ace ssx on my friends old xbox, on the ps2 at the time I was no where, the console is good, controller makes it unplayable for me.

The big tv thing is quite a plus, might see how mine does with its 3d conversion

Caporegime
OP
im not completely switching, just if i have the option i will probably opt for console, any RTS games will still and always will be, PC, it will mean any upgrades can be 1 or 2 generations old, saving a lot!

glad to see constructive views, great forum :)

Caporegime
OP
I don't really play multi player tbh, our Internet doesn't cut it. Another reason the console is good, at least I can play versus someone in the room

Caporegime
OP
i definitely agree almost all games are weasier to use on a PC interface wise except racing games.. need a wheel for those!

i was just trying to see my steam game section, and have realised another reason why i miss consoles, steam needs an update, thats an hour or two gon before i can even look at my games!

Caporegime
OP
Just wish there was an effective way to play rts games on a console.. Like a mouse/keyboard option. Just today took me 2 hours before I could even play the game I wanted

Caporegime
OP
I prefer pc game style over console any day, it's the hassle that I hate, (combined with 20KBps on a good day Internet speed) that comes with constant updates. Means if I go to play a game after work I can't if it needs an update. So fire up the console!
Before steam etc I could at least play as updates were not required, games were actually bought in a playable state. If my connection was better steam would be OK.

I really hope the new consoles will offer keyboard / mouse options and be a proper hybrid without needing updates to play but still having them on offer. Probably won't happen tbh

Back
Top Bottom