Looks like ive switched to console from pc.

Soldato
I suppose those are my main pro points with regards to PC, Note I didnt even mention graphics. I really do not care with regards to that, I just want my games smooth at 1080p if possible, And I'll happily drop down AA to achieve that.

this is what can bug me about playing on the pc, if I see a drop in framerate when playing on a console I know it's something to do with the game and there's nothing I can do
if there is any juddering etc when playing on the pc I'm tempted to try sort it out, somwtimes it's not even the graphics settings that need tweaked!

Caporegime
OP
im not completely switching, just if i have the option i will probably opt for console, any RTS games will still and always will be, PC, it will mean any upgrades can be 1 or 2 generations old, saving a lot!

glad to see constructive views, great forum :)

Associate
In a way i kind of feel the same, im working a lot more nowadays and sometimes its just easier to fire up the console n relax and play, and be more comfy i guess lol. I used to be a pure console gamer back in the day, then went full on PC, now ima kinda switchin back. But its like it feels as if playing a fps on a console is hard comapred to pc for me now. You cant beat keyboard and mouse for shooters, but thats prolly cuz im not used to using a controller nowadays to aim.

Watching people stream console shooters like gears n cod, they aim super fast its like watching a pc gamer, so i know its possible, its jsut practise and getting used to again, cuz i remember aiming like that with a controller back in the day lol. I know most of what i wrote wont bother some of you, but when i play games i like to be competetive, work towards being top of the field so to speak!

Im still in limbo on what to play, a lot of the time il sit on my pc thinking about playing a game but just end up staring at my desktop/ browsing the net... so much downtime and time wasted when i could be just gaming it up!!!

Associate
I found that I was gaming less and less on PC and started to pick up the ps3 to play fifa (hadn't played in a couple of years) I played a few other games but struggled with the joypad yet others I enjoyed it more (assassins creed came to mind) the lack of AA and low textures is also extremely noticeable and annoying. My solution was to get a 360 controller and move my pc downstairs. Its less out of the way and at the end of the day 1080p gpu @ high frames and texture is possible on a gtx260. I don't care whats under the tv and pc still gives me the best experience, I effectively turned mine into a console since i do most of my work on laptop. The one think im hankering for tho is something like xbox achievements and gamer score. While im not an achievement hunter, I do like seeing over gaming progress. For some reason I don't feel ive wasted time if i get something for it.

Soldato
Imo, the PC is the pinnacle of gaming, and the consoles are trying to emulate it. Yes, cheaper, easier, less fiddling, but ultimately lacking in visual effects.

Have you seen BF3 on console? My god it is **** beyond belief, 30fps, DX9 and textures rendered by a calculator potato hybrid. Maybe when the next gen consoles come out i'd consider getting one, but ancient current consoles just don't cut it in gaming imo.

Permabanned
The only problem with consoles IMO is the exact reason to get one. Theres hardly any competitive leagues or scenes for any of the games.

There are a few small ones and MLG but that's quite small still compared to the competitive scene for PC Gaming.

Caporegime
OP
I don't really play multi player tbh, our Internet doesn't cut it. Another reason the console is good, at least I can play versus someone in the room

Associate
Imo, the PC is the pinnacle of gaming, and the consoles are trying to emulate it. Yes, cheaper, easier, less fiddling, but ultimately lacking in visual effects.

Have you seen BF3 on console? My god it is **** beyond belief, 30fps, DX9 and textures rendered by a calculator potato hybrid. Maybe when the next gen consoles come out i'd consider getting one, but ancient current consoles just don't cut it in gaming imo.

I play BF3 on 360 and have no problem. Considering it is running on 7 year old hardware, it looks great, sounds great and runs smooth.

Soldato
I was exactly the same, OP. Forever tweaking and messing around that I hardly even played the games themselves. I first got an Xbox and after about a year I changed over to PS3 because they had exclusives more relevant to my interests.

Anyway, haven't looked back since. I still have a half decent PC and use it now and then to play Company of Heroes and other fave RTS games but that's it.

I was a die hard PC gamer for years, too. Constantly trolling about how they were superior in every way to consoles. Which in a lot of ways is still true - but I actually play (and FINISH!!!) way more games on my PS3 than I ever did on my PC.

There are still people in the PC forums that won't stop moaning about consoles and how PC's are brilliant and their machines are worth the expensive price that they spent and continue spending to keep up.

Still, there's no denying that consoles seem to be getting closer to their PC cousins with each generation.

Associate
The only problem with consoles IMO is the exact reason to get one. Theres hardly any competitive leagues or scenes for any of the games.

There are a few small ones and MLG but that's quite small still compared to the competitive scene for PC Gaming.

i dunno if i agree with that fully, theres loads of console events, i guess you dont hear about them as much because were into pc gaming more. But the big lans always have console tournaments to so i dunno. I guess pc is jus more accessible in that sense for creating leagues.

Soldato
I can't play fps on a console. It's awful! I however must say that 90% of games I like to play would be far easier on a console. Level playing field, patches that work, far more mates to play with as they all have one and visuals that aren't actually that bad. I've played all sorts of games on the PC and found that my Xbox controller was just easier (mainly driving, football/sport based games etc) and as such I'd happily migrate. The issue is that my favourite games would just not see any joy from the console so I'd still need my PC.

If final fantasy 7 or 10 gets relaunched with oodles of new graphics but the same story and side quests I'd ditch my PC in an instant and spend the next 1000+ hours of gaming life (around a year easily) without a PC happy!

Caporegime
OP
i definitely agree almost all games are weasier to use on a PC interface wise except racing games.. need a wheel for those!

i was just trying to see my steam game section, and have realised another reason why i miss consoles, steam needs an update, thats an hour or two gon before i can even look at my games!

Soldato
I like both. I haven't upgraded my PC for a while but it's still pretty good. CPU/mobo I bought in Jan 2010 and the GPU, July 2010. I will buy another GPU when there's a card worth upgrading to for about £150. No rush:D I think to spend a big amount upgrading a PC before we see the next gen consoles is a bit risky.

Associate
I bought the PC in my sig in Aug\Sept 2011 and the only game i've spent time on is SWTOR, but I much prefer my X360.

Only PC games i'll consider are those not available on console.

Soldato

All the things you just mentioned dont matter to many. Gameplay > Graphics. That's how it is with many people, Strangely it seems its the reverse when someone prefers PC gaming :p

I do like the fact you can get PC games looking better than the console equivalent, But slating the console versions as badly as you have is a little overly cynical. They're perfectly fine for the most part.

Infact often games ported to PC perform terribly without massive spec machines, and yet they run adequate on the console with the potato hybrid core.

And I still say nothing on PC plays as nicely as the uncharted series. I'm not saying it couldnt run on PC if developed. Just that there's nothing out there IMO that touches it.

Please dont try and give me a high res, 100x aa 120 fps first person shooter as an argument :p

Last edited:
Associate
All the things you just mentioned dont matter to many. Gameplay > Graphics. That's how it is with many people, Strangely it seems its the reverse when someone prefers PC gaming :p

Strangely for all the brute force that the PC has i am finding that the game that are of most intrest and fun are actually the indie games without the best graphics.

Permabanned
i dunno if i agree with that fully, theres loads of console events, i guess you dont hear about them as much because were into pc gaming more. But the big lans always have console tournaments to so i dunno. I guess pc is jus more accessible in that sense for creating leagues.

You don't get serious tournaments for consoles outside the MLG. I've never seen one with a significant prize pool

Soldato

I do like the fact you can get PC games looking better than the console equivalent, But slating the console versions as badly as you have is a little overly cynical. They're perfectly fine for the most part.

Infact often games ported to PC perform terribly without massive spec machines, and yet they run adequate on the console with the potato hybrid core.

And I still say nothing on PC plays as nicely as the uncharted series. I'm not saying it couldnt run on PC if developed. Just that there's nothing out there IMO that touches it.

Please dont try and give me a high res, 100x aa 120 fps first person shooter as an argument :p

720p :o

Back
Top Bottom