Lords of the Fallen

Associate
As it is out soon I thought I would get a thread setup.

For anyone interested in soulslikes this looks like it will be a good one.

Many streamers have early access- Ruhrikhan, Fightincowboy, Ziostorm, etc and have youtube clips up of early levels on pc.

I need to decide on my starter class - I may go for a rogue type build as I rarely play that class in other games and fancy changing things up. I watched some of Rurikhans early footage and he started as the wretch equivalent and hilariously started with a bucket as his main weapon - which could be tempting just for the struggle lol.

Associate
There was a Lords of the Fallen in 2014 from the same publisher, but different devs. Any idea how similar they are?

2014 one i enjoyed a bit, but it was pretty average, too many gameplay issues.

Associate
OP
There was a Lords of the Fallen in 2014 from the same publisher, but different devs. Any idea how similar they are?

2014 one i enjoyed a bit, but it was pretty average, too many gameplay issues.
Although it was a bit clunky I quite enjoyed the original and completed it with 3 different builds. The new one is based 1000 years later and is very different to the original- it's also made by a totally different dev team.

Associate
OP
I've decided to start the game as the faith type character who has the war hammer, ranged spell and heal. I figure that for a 1st playthrough the extra healing and ranged options will be very useful. I may swap out the hammer for a quicker weapon as soon as possible though.

Associate
Although it was a bit clunky I quite enjoyed the original and completed it with 3 different builds. The new one is based 1000 years later and is very different to the original- it's also made by a totally different dev team.

I got to what i think was the end bosses, but i never persisted as couldn't be bothered by then. It was enjoyable, i just found it a bit clunky.

Associate
I've decided to start the game as the faith type character who has the war hammer, ranged spell and heal. I figure that for a 1st playthrough the extra healing and ranged options will be very useful. I may swap out the hammer for a quicker weapon as soon as possible though.
Are you planning to get this on PS5 ? Or PC ? Think I’m going to hold out for review embargo on Thursday, and if favourable, will place a pre-order in the evening. Will go with PS5 version ; not as good graphically but sounds like the frame rate is stable. Some of the streams I’ve watched, using PC, have suffered from crashes and frame rate stutters.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Are you planning to get this on PS5 ? Or PC ? Think I’m going to hold out for review embargo on Thursday, and if favourable, will place a pre-order in the evening. Will go with PS5 version ; not as good graphically but sounds like the frame rate is stable. Some of the streams I’ve watched, using PC, have suffered from crashes and frame rate stutters.
I'm on ps5 - I've preordered ordered the base game (not deluxe). A chap called Ruhben has a good stream of the ps5 version and tbh it looked excellent. You are right about the pc build - Ruhrikhan had many crashes and a corrupted save on his amd based rig.

I've just powered on my ps5 and the pre load is now live and currently downloading (32.8gb).

Associate
I'm on ps5 - I've preordered ordered the base game (not deluxe). A chap called Ruhben has a good stream of the ps5 version and tbh it looked excellent. You are right about the pc build - Ruhrikhan had many crashes and a corrupted save on his amd based rig.

I've just powered on my ps5 and the pre load is now live and currently downloading (32.8gb).
Yup, it was Rui's stream I watched. But I heard Asmongold, Cohh and several others, also suffered crashes on PC. For multiplatform games, Playstation does seem to be safest bet for perfomance/stability at launch. The downside is paying "console tax" - standard version is £10 more on PS5 vs Steam.

Associate
OP
I had a thought this morning. If I was the cleric and was using my magic missile ranged spell and ran out of mana (and didn't want to use a mana consumable) I could switch to any throwable or bow. These spells, throwables and arrows all return after resting giving you nearly unlimited ranged options.

Associate
OP
On ps5 the pre install has just run another small update - so if you want to be ready for midnight get updating.

On a separate note on Rurikhans youtube channel at around 6pm today he is doing a stream with fightincowboy where they chat about the game, little tips and tricks etc. They have done this before and then tend to be very good so I will definitely be watching.

Associate
I'm seeing reviews stating the performance on PS5 ( and presumably Xbox ? ) is poor with frequent stuttering etc. Here's one video highlighting the issues. Hopefully a day one patch might fix it, but I think I'll hold off and have a look at the game in a few weeks/months or get it on PC which also has some issues but can brute force it.

Last edited:
Associate
It's a no from me for now, reading reviews of 4090 giving poor performance nope. Not when lies of P ran on my steam deck months before launch.

I think the weak bosses in reviews was the other put off. I'll put it on the I'll get to it when cheap and patched list ! Though I'm not convinced on console or pc they will fix it..

Associate
OP
I started as the priest guy last night. I ended up farming the area just before the first main boss (not the tutorial one). Basically if you kill all the mobs apart from 1 - let him kill you so you are in umbrella (death world). Then farm kill the respawning enemies for 5 mins until the evil red guy appears - as soon as he does hot foot it back to the vestige (shrine/fire).

Using this method for a while I got my health upto 20, stamina to 16 and my radiance to 25 and felt much stronger. I still had to use a summon to finally beat the boss lol

Associate
OP
PS5 performance mode seems a bit hit and miss. For the majority of the time it's smooth but when things get crazy in umbrell mode with respawning enemies and the normal enemies it does sometimes dip. I'm hoping the devs can turn down the graphics a knotch to hit a smooth 60 fps all the time. I'm fairly hopeful they will as there has been 3 updates since the pre-install already.

The game itself is excellent and would be a 9/10 from me if the frame issues are resolved.

In terms of world design it's excellent and I continually get lost due to panic running in umbrall. It's difficult without being too crazy.

I'm desperate to try a boss weapon I've got access too but it requires 40 of a blue shrimp consumable that you get from killing bosses and unlocking story beats in umbrall and I have no clue how to farm them yet.

Associate
I saw plenty of footage yesterday of this game on both console platforms. The graphical fidelity has been reduced a lot - looks like a PS2/3 game - to try and get performance stable, and even then it struggles despite using 1080p upscaled. It's a real shame, I think there is a decent game hidden beneath the technical issues. At the moment it looks like PC is the only viable platform to play this game on, and that version has its issues too.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
According to some ps5 reddit users if you turn off hdr in the ps5 system menu the performance mode runs much better. I'll try it later and report back.

It's such a shame as the game is great and I'm having a blast trying to explore and work out all the new systems the game throws at you.

Associate
OP
I've completely no lifed this game since release I'm totally addicted. I found a whole area I missed (depths) which took me about 3.5hrs to get through - it was really dark and you had to light fires to even see (ds2 had a similar zone).

Associate
OP
I'm super annoyed today - I did some invasions to get warmed up for my playthrough and the game reset my level from 139 to 60. I quickly closed the game through switcher and deleted my console save and downloaded my cloud save. Still the same I've lost 79 level ups

I can't face farming so I'm going to start a new character- the worst part is i think I was on the final zone and I'd killed the light reaper.

Associate
I'm super annoyed today - I did some invasions to get warmed up for my playthrough and the game reset my level from 139 to 60. I quickly closed the game through switcher and deleted my console save and downloaded my cloud save. Still the same I've lost 79 level ups

I can't face farming so I'm going to start a new character- the worst part is i think I was on the final zone and I'd killed the light reaper.
Ugh, that blows. Corrupted or deleted save files are the worst. I read some comments from people on the first day of launch that had similar issues. Really does sound as if this game should have been delayed for a few months longer.

Back
Top Bottom