Los Angeles or San Diego? - March 2025

Soldato
Looking for recommendations please!

We’re heading out to Palm Springs in March 2025 for a family event and we’re planning on staying on for a few days afterwards to make the most of flying all the way to the West Coast of America with two kids (7 and 3).

I don’t think we’ll bother with a connecting flight to Palm Springs, rather, we’ll look to fly into LA or San Diego and drive over to Palm Springs.

Advantages of LA - Disneyland and Hollywood sights.

Advantages of San Diego - Sea World and my understanding is that it’s a much nicer place to be.

Can drive between the two places for specific things, but not sure I really want to spend the whole trip driving with young kids!

Any helpful advice or tips are most welcome, thanks.

Man of Honour
I don't know a huge amount about either, but I used to work with someone who lived in the area and they always said San Diego nicer place but LA had more to do.

Soldato
I did LA but tbh it felt like a giant nothing burger if you weren't visiting theme parks. I think I did one of the beaches and then hit the road for San Fran.

Soldato
OP
Thanks all for your replies. Very much echoes what I’ve managed to read elsewhere online.

Not sure what to do about the Disneyland issue… if it were me on my own I’d not bother! Not sure that’s going to fly though! Can you do Disneyland in a day trip?

Last edited:
Soldato
We stayed in studio city for LA. Had an Indian at the restaurant opposite our hotel and were served by a guy from Birmingham :D

Feel like I barely saw that much but we drove through Hollywood for the sign and part of the trail up. Then walk of fame, Beverly Hills, Santa Monica and Venice Beach. I didn't want to see any of the theme parks.

Soldato
If you’re doing Universal Studios as part of a once in a lifetime trip, splurge for the VIP tickets.

- Valet parking
- Jump all the ride queues
- Get fed
- 2 hour film set and prop warehouse tour
- Free bottles of water

Just take a small backpack to put all your party’s phones/sunglasses/car keys into so your tour guide can look after them when your on the rides.

Associate
Pretty limiting with the young kids, but i'd echo everything that was said. San Diego people are extremely friendly. Search for any state parks that you may hit on the road, they're worth it imo. Though the scenery was the main reason i went to various parts. That and the roller coasters :D

Associate
Did universal studios several times, worth doing. LA is just a massive sprawl, hard to actually define it's centre. I stayed west hollywood area for (at the time) manns chinese theatre and the walk of stars etc. One time we stay in century city, right next to "nakatomi tower" (from die hard). Get out to venice beach, it's quite a scene. Last time we were in the area we didn't stay in LA, we stayed in Santa Monica, nice place, the pier is of course a must do, but the SM is literally full of vagrants/homeless.

As part of the universal studios tour we did the "walking dead" experience, basically were you walk around different scenes in a big indoor area and different zombies try to scare the bejesus out of you. My partner reckoned she'd already done that walking around Santa Monica.

San Diego is a much better vibe, and has some great beach areas too via bus, if that's your thing.

The thing about LA is that it's a major airport hub, so if you have to fly there anyway to get where you want to go to on the west coast, and you've never been, it might be worth taking a look.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom