Losing Weight

Soldato
Hey guys,

Right to sum it all up in a sentence,...I feel miserable and fat. :o :p

I really want to loose weight, and hopefully have a good figure for the summer.

I have been asking around and quite a few people say "Eat the right food, and cardio."

My question is, what is 'the right food' and what foods do i need to completley cut out to make sure im getting the right food all the time?

Im 5 foot 4, weigh 150lbs. :(

I've tried:
  • WeightWatchers: I just go up and down like a yoyo, most I lost was 6 pounds over a month, then i stop, then go back up weight then back down etc.
  • Atkins: Went on that for two weeks, ended up feeling depressed, tired all the time but i did loose 7 pounds in two weeks which i was really impressed with (but not surprised considering all the stuff I cut out.)

So guys, what would YOU people reccomend as the best thing I do?

I would really appricaite your input into this thread.

Thanks,
Gangster.

Soldato
Gangster said:
I have been asking around and quite a few people say "Eat the right food, and cardio."
hehe :o
As i said, just wait for some of these guys to come and give some advice,there are some very smart people on these forums...somewhere :eek:

Soldato
My best advice would be read the body building, sticky.

It might sound a bit daunting and you might think "I dont want to be a body builder" but seriously the information is invaluable even if you just want to lose weight.

I would say read that, then post back here with any questions you have. There's lots of gents here that will be more help than I could ever be, but I've been doing a fairly simple routine for the last two months and I'm very happy with the results so far :D

Panzer

Consigliere
Set yourself up on a routine of exercising to be honest, perhaps in the mornings before work or whatever you do? A short walk around the block or something, starting nice and slow and setting yourself mini targets.

What's your daily diet like, examples of what you're eating perhaps?

Soldato
Well basically I used to weigh 154lb or 11st when I was 14-15. I didn't like the way I was, so basically I cut down my food, eat the same stuff but less of it, this probably isn't the best thing for you, but I lost 2st in just under 3 months. Which again probably isn't a good thing. But you can eat less, more slowly. I now weigh 121lb or 8st 7. So I've gone the opposite way, so now im trying to eat more and get on my gym abit more than I usually do.

I'm not sure what advice im trying to give but it can be done and quite easily really if you put your mind to it.

Mark :)

Caporegime
you dont need to have an amazing diet that consists of only the best foods, it just needs to be well thought out in terms of macro nutrients and total calories needs to be less than you are spending during the day.

dont do a diet that you know you will get bored of, its pointless and leads to lack of motivation and eventually packing it in.

do do some exercise, doesnt matter what, just do some. find something that you enjoy. not everyone out there will do a few hours of cardio in the gym each week when they dont like cardio (im one of the suckers that put myself through it regardless).

do set yourself some goals, they must be SMART.

good luck :]

Soldato
OP
Wow - thanks for the reply so far guys, really appriciate it!! :D

I have read the body building thread ages ago though, and that gave me the idea of going onto the Atkins which I did last summer - however i was unsucessful and really miserable, as well as being tired.

Every morning I walk approximatley 30 mins fairly briskly, and I do so in the afternoons too.

I did start running around the block a few times, but after getting really out of breath I stopped after 4 days (went every night) because I got out of breath a lot and I feel that if i loose weight it would make it easier for me to run?

I have been talking to MarkLP and I think I will follow his footsteps - eating less than I normally would, but what I want. It sounds as if its the best method for me! :)

Normal Day:

Breakfast - bowl of special k with skimmed milk
Afternoon - 2 sandwiches of chicken & mayo / cheese / cheese & pickle
Dinner - Pasta with sauce / lasagne / bolognese / pizza (3 slices max) / sunday roast etc

I rarely snack. Based on the advice from MarkLP he suggested to just reduce portion sizes which I think is the best method for me as I will not pack it in as i will be eating what I what just less of it.

It sounds like a good method, anyone else agree?

Last edited:
Soldato
Sounds like you're getting on the right track. I would watch out for what you are eating though. Make sure those sandwiches are on whole meal or whole grain bread, the mayo is light not full fat and your pasta should be whole meal as well. I've stopped eating pizza all together!

Cheese is another funny one, I've heard the softer the cheese the less fat in it, so maybe go with Bree rather than Cheddar...

The other thing you could try is start eating 5-6 small meals a day to boost your metabolism.

Panzer

Associate
Im no expert of losing weight and Im actually trying to lose weight myself so have read various forums about this and some people say thats its better to have many sort of mini portions of food throughout the day, like 6 portions instead of the 3 that you have outlined.

The reason they gave was that this would keep your metabolism up and you wouldnt feel so hungry inbetween meal times. Ive not yet discovered how Im going to attempt this but Ive tried to cut down on the foods I do eat and trying to include much more fruit and veg. Still need to work on my exercise though!

Soldato
i've just begun some HIIT and do it daily...it's been almost 2 weeks and I've already noticed that i've been getting slimmer.

I also lift with dumbbells and drink protein/creatine shakes.

Soldato
OP
panzer said:
Sounds like you're getting on the right track. I would watch out for what you are eating though. Make sure those sandwiches are on whole meal or whole grain bread, the mayo is light not full fat and your pasta should be whole meal as well. I've stopped eating pizza all together!

Cheese is another funny one, I've heard the softer the cheese the less fat in it, so maybe go with Bree rather than Cheddar...

The other thing you could try is start eating 5-6 small meals a day to boost your metabolism.

Panzer

Yup they're whole meal bread, the mayonaise is light - the pasta i've been eating isn't wholemeal but im going to start eating a lot less of it - aiming for 1/2 as what i used to eat. :)

xiphrex said:
Im no expert of losing weight and Im actually trying to lose weight myself so have read various forums about this and some people say thats its better to have many sort of mini portions of food throughout the day, like 6 portions instead of the 3 that you have outlined.

The reason they gave was that this would keep your metabolism up and you wouldnt feel so hungry inbetween meal times. Ive not yet discovered how Im going to attempt this but Ive tried to cut down on the foods I do eat and trying to include much more fruit and veg. Still need to work on my exercise though!

Sounds like a good idea, I will try and eat 6 small portions daily - i'll have to put some sort of alarm on to remember to eat frequently though.

gurusan said:
i've just begun some HIIT and do it daily...it's been almost 2 weeks and I've already noticed that i've been getting slimmer.

Yes eventually when I loose all this weight I will start lifting dumbells along with protein shakes. I do a light excercise of dumbells - just lifting 5kg dumbells on each arm, 25 reps per arm so nothing major.

I'm going to start doing situps - nothing heavy maybe just 25 for now just to get used to it again (long time since i've done them!).

I appricaite your input into this thread guys, if you have anymore information I would appriciate your input a lot!

Thanks,
Gangster

Soldato
gurusan said:

Since you're just trying to lose weight protein shakes are just extra calories you don't need.

Soldato
Skull said:
Since you're just trying to lose weight protein shakes are just extra calories you don't need.

I didnt really say I was trying to lose weight :p

I'm actually just trying to keep fit...my diet is very healthy and with plenty of protein, and I do cardio as well.

I figure in some time I'll lose some fat and gain a little bit of lean muscle mass.

If I feel like bulking up then I'll be working out a ton and eating a LOT of food and protein shakes...and if I feel like losing some weight I'll cut calories and do lots of cardio.

but for now I'm just trying to keep a nice healthy fitness regimen.

Soldato
Ive lost two stone in two months now.

My tips are as follows

Exercise 5 out of 7 days a week.

Cut out 95% of Chocolate and crisps.

Cut portions of main meals, i found i was happy with half a dinner, so thats what i have.

All drinks no added sugar and much less beer.

And just being aware of calories, just reading packets will put you in the direction of the right foods i find.

Soldato
Gangster said:
Sounds like a good idea, I will try and eat 6 small portions daily - i'll have to put some sort of alarm on to remember to eat frequently though.

You will find that after the first week or two of keeping an alarm (I just watched the clock knowing that I had to eat once every 3 hours) that you don't need to do it any more, you just get hungry at the right times :)

Panzer

Caporegime
Panzerbjorn said:
You will find that after the first week or two of keeping an alarm (I just watched the clock knowing that I had to eat once every 3 hours) that you don't need to do it any more, you just get hungry at the right times :)

Panzer

have to agree with that, tho work collegues will think that you are weird for eating all the time :D

Soldato
OP
masterk said:
Ive lost two stone in two months now.

My tips are as follows

Exercise 5 out of 7 days a week.

Cut out 95% of Chocolate and crisps.

Cut portions of main meals, i found i was happy with half a dinner, so thats what i have.

All drinks no added sugar and much less beer.

And just being aware of calories, just reading packets will put you in the direction of the right foods i find.

Great sucess!! I really would like to loose 2 stone - would make me feel so much better.

I was really surprised, tonight I had Chicken Korma. Usually I have a big plate - and tonight I had a bowl (cereal size) and worked out that I could fit roughly just 4 bowls up with the amount that I used to have on the plate... tonight I had just one bowl (so cut it back by 1/4) and was full!

Panzerbjorn said:
You will find that after the first week or two of keeping an alarm (I just watched the clock knowing that I had to eat once every 3 hours) that you don't need to do it any more, you just get hungry at the right times

Panzer

Ok cool, sounds like a good idea :) My plan would have to be something like:
-Eat 7
-Eat 10
-Eat 12
-Eat 4
-Eat 8 (if im hungry)

What happens if im not even hungry? Have food or dont?

Thanks for your help!!

G

Associate
Bicep curls are useless,think how big a bicep is in comparison to your body, might as well throw in some toe curls :p , but you dont need to go to the gym to get muscle, swimming is the best,
If your going for protein powder id get some met-rx, they're a full meal replacement.

Soldato
i lost weight by cutting out all crisps, chocolate, fast foods, fizzy drinks, alcohol and replaced it with regular home made meals and fruit and yoghurts for snacks. i currently exercise 3 times a week and ive gone from a 32 waist to a 28 :) for it to work you've got to be really determined to stick to your exercise and diet.

MW

Back
Top Bottom