Lost my iPad questions.

Soldato
So i've lost my iPad air 2 LTE..

Using Find My iPhone, it only shows as Offline. I pulled apart my house, car and workplace apart trying to find it. Its gone... Worst part is i have no idea how and why. I must have done something stupid as in left it somewhere after being distracted, or it was stolen and i never realised it was gone. I don't use it a lot, so i'm really scratching my head over this one. Called the last place where i remembered taking it, and they said no-one had handed it in.

Worst part, is it could have been anytime in June, as i only use it now and again. Never lost anything ever before..

Anyway, as of yesterday, I do have Notify When Found, and 'Lost Mode Pending' activated, with my tel number on who to call if found. But guessing the battery is dead cos its offline, or if it was found earlier in the month, the finder never had the Lost Mode Pending showing my number & wouldn't of known who to call, to return it.. As i only activated Lost Mode as of last night.

I know its a brick with Find My iPhone on... But obviously still am worried about them getting on. Probably being paranoid, but worried my finger marks will give them half a chance of guessing my passcode. Was a random number i made up, so not a birthyear or anything easy.

Again, not rec'd any notifications about anyone trying to change my passcode / apple ID password, and i do have two step security on it, but wouldn't texts with the security pin also goto the iPad ? One thing i did check was cellular data usage.. No-one has used any cellular data since the 5th of this month, so i think i'm ok..

But was wondering, if i elect to Erase iPad, in Find My iPhone, will that wipe it completely and therefore allow them to use it as a new iPad, or are there any known risks to leaving it as Pending ? If it was stolen, then its a little comfort to know they can't use it or sell it.. On the other-hand, i know its married to my Apple ID and probably syncing all my photos, and receiving texts, if they somehow find a way to get into it. But with the Lost Mode Pending, i would be notified it it ever came back online.

If i erase, would it stop any notifications if it ever did come back online ?

Also is there a way to find its location before it went offline ? that would be a MASSIVE help

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
If you erase the iPad it will have an iCloud lock on it, meaning no one can get in unless they know your iCloud password and have access to another device via 2FA. So basically without you, it's a brick.

Did you cancel the SIM?

Soldato
OP
If you erase the iPad it will have an iCloud lock on it, meaning no one can get in unless they know your iCloud password and have access to another device via 2FA. So basically without you, it's a brick.

Did you cancel the SIM?

Not cancelled the sim yet. I went out and bought a replacement LTE iPad yesterday, but i'll be keeping it just on wifi for a couple of weeks / months, in the hope that someone turns it on, and with it having the active SIM, it'll immediately give me the whereabouts, and half a chance of getting it back.

But i paid extra so that my new iPad is cellular and i'm not paying out twice, so will have to end up cancelling the cellular on the lost on, to transfer it to the new ipad.

Ended up buying an Air2 128gb, open box but like new for $398, but after seeing the new Pro's, and their gorgeous 120hz screens, i'm starting to think hmm should i spend the extra $200 and just get a 64gb Pro 10.5, but that would be wifi only, $200 more and only half the memory, and i'll have to piggy back it off my iPhone everytime i'm out and about. But obviously nicer. I've got 15days to return the open box and switch it out tho.

One thing i will say tho, is they better be bringing those 120hz screens to the new iPhone 8 when it comes out in Sept, otherwise i'm going to be major disappointed. Its like seeing and using gsync 144hz, and then having to go back to 60hz

Back
Top Bottom