1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Loud electrical buzzing from PC and TV

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by MatteRB26, Apr 7, 2020.

1. MatteRB26

Associate

Hi all, just wanting to get some second opinions before I bother our landlady, but earlier while working on my PC I heard a loud buzzing sound. I initially put it down to a label or something stuck in a fan, but it stopped instantly after ~5 seconds. Then it occurred again twice in a 2/3 minute period. All fans are clear and it sounded electrical - as if it was receiving too much current or something.

This evening were watching Netflix using the PS4 and it happened again, but quieter (possibly due to having sound and being further away), about 5 or 6 times in 10 minutes or so. It sounds a bit like holding a light switch half way, and then amplifying it.

I also noticed that the shed light was on the other night - put this down to turning it on earlier and forgetting to turn it off. Just been upstairs with flickering bathroom lights - went back downstairs to get the cat - and the shed light was on. 2 minutes later and it's off again.

A bit worried as not only is half my PC new from December - I'm using it for work and one of the last things I want right now is my PC getting blown or something. Anyone have any ideas on what it may be or anything I can look for before asking the landlady to fork out for potentially nothing? (Which will get passed onto us if there's nothing wrong) I do know the wiring is a bit dodgy in this house because lights flicker when you turn other lights on occasionally.

Thanks muchly!

2. Trig

Mobster

Ask the neighbours if they're having the same issue, or look out of the window and see if you can see anyone else's lights..

3. [FnG]magnolia

Pancake

TheConjuring.txt

4. something daft already!!

Mobster

Do you have fuses or trip switches? They *should* protect you but you need this to be checked out. Sounds like arching and this could cause a fire. Has the property been inspected recently?

5. Brizzles

Soldato

Any 5G masts near you ?

6. MatteRB26

Associate

I'm pretty sure it's trip switches, but I also know one of the boxes needs replacing because it's old (never happened because.. well, y'know).

Quick update: Went to go turn the shed light off properly and it wouldn't even turn on. I get back in the house and turn lights off - shed light is on, then turns off when I go outside... Now won't turn back on again. I'm seriously wondering if we need an electrician or a Priest at this point...

7. koooowweeee

Soldato

Don't, please!

8. MatteRB26

Associate

I live on the edge of 4G... Travel 2 minutes north and it's a deadzone!

9. Tek81

Wise Guy

That's textbook poltergeist activity right there. Do you also have bees coming out of the taps?

10. arknor

Caporegime

can a ground loop cause humming for psus or be a reason for coil whine? maybe something to investigate just google "ground loop" to get an idea of what it is.

usually it causes problems in audio speakers, like a slight hum but maybe it can have other effects on stuff also.

11. godinman

Sgarrista

Have you seen 'Better Call Saul'?

12. mmj_uk

Capodecina

Random buzzing noises from PC's are often fans or hard drives causing parts of the case to vibrate but with your lights switching on and off I'd get your electrics looked at.

I had a power supply once that kept damaging the switch on the wall socket, no idea how or why but it might be worth trying a different power supply if all else fails.

13. Hades

Capodecina

Have you seen the film Poltergeist?

14. stockhausen

Capodecina

Have you accounted for all the Adult "toys" in the property?

15. peterwalkley

Mobster

Check the loft to see if someone is growing weed there under very bright lights.

On a more serious note, buy a decent surge protector. Although the PSU *should* protect the more expensive components of your PC there are plenty of horror stories on here to the contrary.

16. Fire_fly

Mobster

The Buzzing maybe a side effect of a brownout, causing the power supplies in the PC and PS4 to be come stressed as they struggle to keep outputting their required power with the drop in mains voltage. If they become regular it might be something to inform your landlord about and/or the power company about.

17. Diddums

Capodecina

You live in a fire hazard.

I'd be asking for the electrical inspection certificate pronto.

18. LOAM

Capodecina

Electrical you say? Have you considered it might be the influenza virus?

19. SexyGreyFox

Man of Honour

You could try this.
    Last year my Mum rang up asking if I could go down because every time she switches her video and TV on at the wall they make a horrible loud sound.
    I goes in, switches on by the wall and the noise was coming from her nebuliser on the floor :)
    RIP Mum.

20. EGuitarStar

Mobster

Turn everything off, switch on one by one to see if you can isolate it? Other than that you need to contact a qualified electrician or local religious leader of your chosen faith and drive out the demons.