• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

*Low CPU Usage Question*

Associate
Hello my specs are

Asus ROG Crosshair VII Hero x470
AMD R7 2700X (PBO on)
RTX 3080
16GB @3200mz (XMP on)

I wanted to know if getting around 40-50% cpu usage while gaming is normal?
Most of the titles I tried it it's same case, some others even lower.

*EDIT* My GPU usage if fine, high as it should be.

Is something wrong with that? I thought I should expect around high 70s to 80%
And if there's something fishy, any ideas on what should I try to fix?
Feel free to ask for more info if needed, thanks in advance

Associate
No that's perfectly normal. the more cores you have the less the overall cpu usage in games.

Its always better to have a gpu bottleneck than a cpu bottleneck.

Associate
OP
No that's perfectly normal. the more cores you have the less the overall cpu usage in games.

Its always better to have a gpu bottleneck than a cpu bottleneck.
Do you see any kind of bottleneck based on my numbers?
Also I check while playing some games that half or more of my logical cores are idle and that causes ridiculous framerates.
Now I dont think I would get such low frames in this system (its not top end but still its quite okay for higher rates on 1440p)

Associate
Unless you are getting high temperatures, or any other limit being reached, causing the CPU to slow down, I don't think there's anything wrong with your usage.
Also, the resolution you're playing at have an impact on how your CPU will behave.
If you try running a fast paced FPS, 1080p, all graphic settings to low, you may see your CPU max out while the GPU won't break a sweat.
If you run some game at 4K, all graphic settings on ultra, quite likely your GPU will max out while your CPU won't be maxed out, unless your CPU was a very weak CPU, which isn't the case.

Soldato
I wanted to know if getting around 40-50% cpu usage while gaming is normal?

At high resolutions it is usual to be bottlenecked by the GPU, causing lower GPU usage. However, you need to check further: 50% CPU usage could be caused by half your cores running at 100% and the other half running at 0%. You need to check. Your 2700X has 8 cores and games often do not make use of so many cores.

Back
Top Bottom