Low FPS, Specifically Ark Survival Ascended.

Associate
Hi Guys,

I'm honestly stumped and have no idea what is causing my pc to run Ark so terribly.

I recently upgraded from a RTX 3060 TI to the RX 7900 GRE Nitro+ but running the game on full low settings on 1980x1080 with FSR on I am getting a maximum of 55-70 Frames when I am idle at my base and goes down to 50ish when I am travelling.

The rest are my pc specs are below, I am a bit hesitant to upgrade to AM5 Socket right now as I am not 100% sure it will improve my performance.

Ryzen 7 5700x
32GB Corsair Vengeance 3600mhz Ram
Corsair RM 750 Gold PSU
Asus Rog Strix B550 Gaming Wifi Motherboard

Crucial P2 2TB M.2 PCIe Gen3 NVMe Internal SSD Up to 2400mb/s​

Gigabyte M27 Q-P Monitor.

Any advice will be appreciated, Nothing is overclocked.. Base clock of CPU looks low but not sure if any soft OC happens automatically. Looking at potentially getting the Ryzen 5 7600X and MSI B650 Tomahawk with T-Group 32gb 6000mhz ram only if necessary.

Man of Honour
Can you run a CPU benchmark like Cinebench or Super Pi, copy the screenshot of HWINFO sensor tab (CPU) while it is running.

After that, run a GPU benchmark like 3D Mark and copy the screenshot of HWINFO sensor tab (GPU) while it is running.

Unigine and 3D Mark numbers can be found here:

Super Pi here:

Can look up the Cinebench numbers once you post them.

Associate
presumably CPU bottleneck
when in game do you see CPU load high and GPU not fully utilised? (task manager would give rough idea)

Soldato
Would just check something silly isn't wrong with your RAM, check it's actually running at 3200Mhz and you don't have them in single channel mode by mistake

Associate
OP
Hi Guys, So hopefully I have got the correct info from HWinfo. even with "Always on top" Hwinfo wasn't on screen during 3d mark and I had to alt tab to try quickly snip it. I have XMP on profile 1 and my ram in Bios is set to 3600mhz.

I'm trying to upload the images through Imgur but it won't let me, It says Image cannot be loaded from the passed link so not sure how to post them here?

Associate
OP
Can you run a CPU benchmark like Cinebench or Super Pi, copy the screenshot of HWINFO sensor tab (CPU) while it is running.

After that, run a GPU benchmark like 3D Mark and copy the screenshot of HWINFO sensor tab (GPU) while it is running.

Unigine and 3D Mark numbers can be found here:

Super Pi here:

Can look up the Cinebench numbers once you post them.

3dVqyas.png
This is the BBcode from Imgur as I cannot insert the image here using a link for some reason..

As above, XMP is profile 1 and ram is set to 3600mhz in my bios, Bios is updated to the latest and so are graphics/chipset.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
This is something that's been bugging me too as I've never seen my gpu usage in task manager come close to 99%, both cpu and gpu sit at around 50-60% and I've seen benchmarks online and snips of people's gpu hitting 99% but never have I been able to achieve this

Soldato
This is something that's been bugging me too as I've never seen my gpu usage in task manager come close to 99%, both cpu and gpu sit at around 50-60% and I've seen benchmarks online and snips of people's gpu hitting 99% but never have I been able to achieve this
How long did you leave hwinfo running for? Seems odd that your CPU never went over 3600mhz

Associate
OP
What scores did you get in cinebench?
Sorry got caught up with work! Cinebench scores were 710 for multi core and 84 for Single core. I've done the full test this time on both cpu and gpu, Cinebench and 3d Mark and snipped the sensors at the end. I noticed when I launched ark earlier, My GPU was being 99% utilized and my CPU was at around 40-50%, However this was on 1920x1080 with FSR on and everything on the lowest, Still sitting around 55-60 fps idle in a more or less empty area, goes down to 40ish when I move my camera around a bit..

Last edited:
Associate
Probably a silly question but did you properly uninstall the old Nvidia drivers before installing the new AMD ones? Also do you know what sort of FPS you were getting in that area on your old GPU as a comparison?

Associate
OP
Probably a silly question but did you properly uninstall the old Nvidia drivers before installing the new AMD ones? Also do you know what sort of FPS you were getting in that area on your old GPU as a comparison?
Not a silly question at all mate! Have used DDU to uninstall my old drivers and my 3060 ti was getting on average maybe 5-10 less fps at the lowest but ran more or less the same... it doesn't feel like I've upgraded at all but the difference in cards is quite huge

Associate
If your avg fps has gone up 5-10 it seems like it could be a CPU bottleneck then which is why you are not getting the big jump in performance you were hoping for. I would suggest searching benchmarks of other people running the game with the same CPU and see what they get to confirm.

Associate
OP
If your avg fps has gone up 5-10 it seems like it could be a CPU bottleneck then which is why you are not getting the big jump in performance you were hoping for. I would suggest searching benchmarks of other people running the game with the same CPU and see what they get to confirm.
The only thing about that is my gpu is sitting at 99% utilisation and this usually indicates that it's not being throttled unless I am wrong. I'm not 100% clued up with the stats and sensors but my gpu wouldn't be at cap if there was a bottleneck on the cpu, which worries me because if my gpu is being fully utilised I should definitely be getting more frames

Suspended
Here is Ark running on low 1080p with on my system with a 5800X + 4090, as you can see I get no more fps as the cap for these CPUs is around 80fps.
Screenshot-815.png

Ark is heavy on both the CPU and GPU, so my first advice would be ditch FSR as at 1080p it looks terrible and because of the resolution scaling you wont get anymore FPS then try to push up graphics quality until your fps starts to drop sure you could run higher fps on something like a 7800X3D but then you'll still be limited by graphics quality as you wont be able to run both at high levels. I would just target 60fps with the best quality graphics settings you can run to keep it around this level.

Associate
OP
I ended up just pulling the trigger to hopefully end my suffering, purchased the r5 7600x, msi tomahawk b650 and corsair cl30 6000mhz 32gb ram. Looking at cooling options probably going with the phantom spirit evo as I've not installed an AIO before and don't know if it'd be worth the extra cost. Currently with the 750w PSU I'm guessing it should be enough but probably will upgrade that as well and get a faster nvme. If that doesn't help the issue nothing will lol.

Associate
I ended up just pulling the trigger to hopefully end my suffering, purchased the r5 7600x, msi tomahawk b650 and corsair cl30 6000mhz 32gb ram. Looking at cooling options probably going with the phantom spirit evo as I've not installed an AIO before and don't know if it'd be worth the extra cost. Currently with the 750w PSU I'm guessing it should be enough but probably will upgrade that as well and get a faster nvme. If that doesn't help the issue nothing will lol.
I have similar issue. Even though not one core gets to 100% i am being bottlenecked by my 10700k @ 5ghz. Let us know if this fixes your issue as a CPU upgraded will be my next upgrade earlier than planned :)

Back
Top Bottom