• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Low powered, low heat Nvidia GPU

Associate
So I am sat here with a 980ti, whurring away in a hot room with 2 x 27" Dell 1440p monitors plugged into it. Now It is overkill, I hardly ever game anymore, And the heat that comes off the GPU is constant. I want to try keep this room cool as can be this summer, is their any point in getting a lower powerd card that can handle my needs of 2 x 1440p monitors for desktop browsing? if so any recommendations?

Soldato
If the monitors are both 60hz, then the card should still only use around 15-20w.
Check Gpu-z and you should see a 135mhz core clock and 200mhz memory clock at 900mv when idling. If the gpu utilization is high then some software or dodgey resources are using the gpu. Unless you use hardware acceleration, or have chrome open, or use web browsers to decode youtube,iplayer/ anything with media streaming.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
If the monitors are both 60hz, then the card should still only use around 15-20w.
Check Gpu-z and you should see a 135mhz core clock and 200mhz memory clock at 900mv when idling. If the gpu utilization is high then some software or dodgey resources are using the gpu. Unless you use hardware acceleration, or have chrome open, or use web browsers to decode youtube,iplayer/ anything with media streaming.

Hmm, Checking GPU-Z I am using about 71W at idle, just standard stuff. few web pages up. No video playing. Runs at 65c. It's a 980ti Evga SC.

Back
Top Bottom