• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Lower resolution v lower graphics settings

Associate
Interesting thread, ive been thinking about this myself, as a new TV purchase is coming soon. I want to start playing more single player games, rather than constantly getting annoyed with call of duty.

@Rroff You mentioned "Steam Remote Play from a faster PC" Could the PC on the TV be a NUC or something i assume it would need to have HDMI 2.1 output? I have a PC on the desk upstairs, i do have two PCs, but i'd have a better PC if i sold both and built one new one. I tried the Steam link years ago, and it worked well for platformers, but not so much for FPS. so controller games, like spiderman etc could work well?

The house is wired for CAT6 so i could get a 2.5Gbe link between that and other PC, if thats likely to get better results?

I'll look up moonlight, as that gets some good comments online.

Man of Honour
@Rroff You mentioned "Steam Remote Play from a faster PC" Could the PC on the TV be a NUC or something i assume it would need to have HDMI 2.1 output? I have a PC on the desk upstairs, i do have two PCs, but i'd have a better PC if i sold both and built one new one. I tried the Steam link years ago, and it worked well for platformers, but not so much for FPS. so controller games, like spiderman etc could work well?

The receiving end just needs to be able to play video at whatever output settings you use i.e. 1080p @ 60FPS and have suitable video output for the display connected to it.

The latest incarnations of stuff like Steam Remote Play, Moonlight, etc. are good enough to provide an experience equivalent to 60Hz w/ V-Sync gaming - so single player FPS games are doable, maybe not quite ideal but acceptable, but multiplayer twitch FPS they'd leave a lot to be desired.

A LAN that can fully utilise gigabit or 2.5Gbe to be sure would make it work a lot better - it won't need that amount of bandwidth, generally in the range of 10-50Mbit is used, but there are also latency considerations which having a faster network helps to ease especially if there is other traffic on the network.

Associate
The receiving end just needs to be able to play video at whatever output settings you use i.e. 1080p @ 60FPS and have suitable video output for the display connected to it.

The latest incarnations of stuff like Steam Remote Play, Moonlight, etc. are good enough to provide an experience equivalent to 60Hz w/ V-Sync gaming - so single player FPS games are doable, maybe not quite ideal but acceptable, but multiplayer twitch FPS they'd leave a lot to be desired.

A LAN that can fully utilise gigabit or 2.5Gbe to be sure would make it work a lot better - it won't need that amount of bandwidth, generally in the range of 10-50Mbit is used, but there are also latency considerations which having a faster network helps to ease especially if there is other traffic on the network.
Thanks

A bit more googling suggests that there is no VRR, which makes sense since its a video stream, but 4k60 should work with the Apple TV i already have in use, so i'd probably do that for casual stuff, and just move the PC down and connect directly if want more frames. I'm all about frames per second, as the smoothness feels good, i'd pick that over higher graphics settings every time. If i find 60Hz is too low, maybe i'll try and pickup a mini PC to take over. intel NUCs top out at HDMI 2.0. looks quite tricky to find one that would do it now... give it a few years though and it'll be the norm.

Associate
At 3m on a 65" screen, I'd probably drop to 1080p and keep the settings up high

I'm 2.5m away from a 77" screen, it's an old 60hz OLED so I stick to 4k wherever possible, 1080p doesn't look great, but 1440p is fine really at this distance.

For lounge gaming you have to go really close to something massive, very different from monitor gaming in terms of your field of view it fills.

Back
Top Bottom