Lubuntu installation issue

Man of Honour
A pure guess but are you selecting the right drive to install to (ie not trying to install to a write protected usb stick for example)?

Soldato
OP
Hi, yes I selected my SSD drive, I managed to get it to install and it said it was successfully installed but on restart just black screen saying loading operating system...
Doesn't move past that.

Soldato
You say you're installing on a new rig. Can we assume there's no Windows install on there? The error is telling you that GRUB is installing to a GPT formatted drive but no /boot partition was made for the bootloader. Whether that's because of a bug in the Lubuntu installer, or because you're expected to make it yourself, I don't know as I haven't run Ubuntu in years (though ironically I'm posting from an Ubuntu live USB atm on my MacBook Pro).

With GPT you need to set up the disk with an extra FAT32 /boot partition of 500MB, and set the correct flags for it. If the machine is to only have Lubuntu you'd be better formatting the disk's partition table as MBR in GParted before you install, it's just easier. If not, have a read here for info and follow through the Wiki regarding formatting the drive for GRUB to install correctly.

Soldato
OP
Is secure boot disabled in the BIOS?
I've been looking everywhere for secure boot option in the bios but can't see it, it's a h67 board, I managed to install Linux mint but thrn it failed install at the end something to do with grub, so annoying I don't want to use windows.

Soldato
I've been looking everywhere for secure boot option in the bios but can't see it, it's a h67 board, I managed to install Linux mint but thrn it failed install at the end something to do with grub, so annoying I don't want to use windows.

*cough* Did you miss my post above yours? Remake the partition table of the HDD in GParted, this time as msdos. Be aware this will wipe the drive. Then with the live USB, don't boot the EFI option from the boot loader choice screen (eg F10 on your motherboard during post); choose MBR. It may simply be a choice of 'USB drive UEFI' and 'USB drive' - choose the latter. You should be fine after that.

Back
Top Bottom