Lumix G7, a good option for traveling?

Soldato
Afternoon everyone,

I'm currently looking at getting a new camera to get back in to it. At home I have a Nikon D90 with the kit lens, 50mm f/1.8, 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6 plus a flash and quite a few other bits. The main problem that I have with it is that it's all so chunky and hefty.

Based on that and me soon going to SE Asia with as little stuff as possible I'm probably going to sell it all and go mirrorless.

My main thought is to go with a Pansonic Lumix G7 as above. I'm also planning on only taking the camera and two lenses, no flash, again to keep costs and weight down.

The Sony A6000 is also a strong contender but it has less of that SLR feel but does have a higher res and bigger sensor.

The main use will be for photos, I have never really done much in the way of video.

Both can be had for around £300 second hand with a kit lens.

I think the main issue will be lens prices, with the Sony being more expensive.

I'm very stuck between the two right now!

Thanks in advance :D

Last edited:
Associate
If the main use is for photos, I'd be inclined to go with the A6000. I've owned both of these cameras, and while the G85 (and G7) is probably the better hybrid camera the A6000 is definitely better for stills. Sony has neglected the APS-C line of cameras in terms of releasing new glass but there are plenty of options out there. I shot the majority of my older travel stuff with an A6000, the 10-18 f4, the 16-50 pancake (much better than most people say it is, especially for how small it is) and the Sigma 35mm.

If you can get the A6000 with the 16-50 kit lens I'd go with that, and pick up a few cheap 2nd hand primes from MPB, or the 10-18 if you want to go wide.

Soldato
OP
Thanks for that. I think my main issue is my budget but I do have a few bits of gear to sell so I might just have to go from there.

I went.in to Jessops yesterday and someone recommended th Canon M50 which is usually £600 with a kit lens but they currently have this offer on for £619.

Canon EOS M50 Mirrorless Camera in Black + EF-M 15-45mm IS STM and EF-M 22mm f/2 STM Lenses

Soldato
I had the original eos m and it took lovely pictures especially with the 22mm which is a cracking lens the auto focus was terrible though. The m50 gets good reviews but I’m not sure it is a system I would be buying into canon have released no more than a handful of lenses.

If I were you I’d go second hand Fuji it’s what I moved to from the eos m and it is fantastic for straight out of the camera results.

Back
Top Bottom