Lumix S5 users?

JRJ

JRJ

Associate
Really contemplating buying one of these given the current prices, any users that could give their opinions? likes/dislikes, there's a common theme with the online reviews but I'm airing on the side of caution with the slating of the AF.

Caporegime
I've had one for a while. Most of my gear is m43 but added the S5 with the 20-60 kit lens and the 50mm F1.8 to see if full frame was all it was touted to be (I'm not convinced personally).

The single AF is pretty solid, cAF is usable but is sometimes a bit annoying. I don't do enough video to give an educated opinion.

Lens selection is OK and not awfully priced for the f1.8 primes.

EVF is low res and is a weakness when you're not 100% confident in the AF.

Ergonomics are good but I've been spoilt by the Lumix G9 which is better.

The buffer is relatively shallow too, but is never an issue since I bought some cheap UHS-II cards.

When on offer with free lenses (there was an amazing offer with the 24mm F1.8 earlier this year) the S5 is really good value. The L-mount ecosystem seems relatively solid at the moment too.

JRJ

JRJ

Associate
OP
I've had one for a while. Most of my gear is m43 but added the S5 with the 20-60 kit lens and the 50mm F1.8 to see if full frame was all it was touted to be (I'm not convinced personally).

The single AF is pretty solid, cAF is usable but is sometimes a bit annoying. I don't do enough video to give an educated opinion.

Lens selection is OK and not awfully priced for the f1.8 primes.

EVF is low res and is a weakness when you're not 100% confident in the AF.

Ergonomics are good but I've been spoilt by the Lumix G9 which is better.

The buffer is relatively shallow too, but is never an issue since I bought some cheap UHS-II cards.

When on offer with free lenses (there was an amazing offer with the 24mm F1.8 earlier this year) the S5 is really good value. The L-mount ecosystem seems relatively solid at the moment too.

Thanks @Minstadave if I'm being honest its the full frame and price that's the most tempting, I can live with some of its quirks. Before I saw them on offer I was looking at a Sony A7C and trying to keep a small package, but part of me is thinking what I dislike about my M5 is actually the compact size.

Soldato
I can't comment on the S5 (or any Panasonic) as I've never used one - although I have seen the deals pop up for it occasionally and I do have to admit that my interest has been tickled.
However, FWIW (from a good few years' experience), unless you absolutely need full frame in some sort of professional capacity (and even at that) I have to say it's not 'all that'.
I started out with Canon APS-C and like a lot of others just pretty much had that full frame itch that I eventually did scratch. Used it for around a couple of years then moved to Fuji (and back to APS-C obviously).
For me, unless I started shooting weddings as a professional, which I've little intention on doing, I will never go full frame again. I have garnered much more enjoyment and experience out of the fast affordable primes for Fuji than I ever did for full frame cameras and beefy lenses.
I don't mean to ramble, but if you're looking into full frame for curiosity's sake there may well be cheaper ways to do it. All that said, if it's a hobby and you are keen on branching out then have at it!

JRJ

JRJ

Associate
OP
I can't comment on the S5 (or any Panasonic) as I've never used one - although I have seen the deals pop up for it occasionally and I do have to admit that my interest has been tickled.
However, FWIW (from a good few years' experience), unless you absolutely need full frame in some sort of professional capacity (and even at that) I have to say it's not 'all that'.
I started out with Canon APS-C and like a lot of others just pretty much had that full frame itch that I eventually did scratch. Used it for around a couple of years then moved to Fuji (and back to APS-C obviously).
For me, unless I started shooting weddings as a professional, which I've little intention on doing, I will never go full frame again. I have garnered much more enjoyment and experience out of the fast affordable primes for Fuji than I ever did for full frame cameras and beefy lenses.
I don't mean to ramble, but if you're looking into full frame for curiosity's sake there may well be cheaper ways to do it. All that said, if it's a hobby and you are keen on branching out then have at it!

All fare comments, I'm probably blinded a little by the value for money with the current offers, I'd also like to get back into photography a bit more having had a quiet'ish 5 years whilst building a house and really starting to see the limitations with my M5. We're off to Orlando for 3 weeks in October and I'm using it as an excuse to upgrade some kit having been disappointed by results from Lapland last Christmas.

I'm not stuck to a brand so happy to take other suggestions? Although I did try a A6xxx series when I first went mirrorless and just couldn't get on with the menus.

Permabanned
I had an S5 for a while and loved it, a very underrated camera and great for video and a total bargain at the price.

For reference my current cameras are the Olympus OM1, Canon R5 and Fuji GFX100S.

My favourite digital camera of all time is the OM1.

Caporegime
Interesting to see the S5 II is out now. Looks to fix everything I could have wanted sorting on the S5. Better autofocus, better EVF, dual UHS-II cards, better AF joystick. Will nab one when there's a cashback off on.

Last edited:
Soldato
I've held off going FF from M43 and hoping that a M43 camera similar to the Panasonic G9 is made with a phase detect AF system. If that doesn't happen I think the S5 II will keep me busy for a few years. Cracker of a camera given the features and price

Caporegime
I've held off going FF from M43 and hoping that a M43 camera similar to the Panasonic G9 is made with a phase detect AF system. If that doesn't happen I think the S5 II will keep me busy for a few years. Cracker of a camera given the features and price
I'd pick up a G10 with phase detect too. Even if that was the only change to the G9, although I wouldn't say no to a better sensor either. The G9 handles so much better than the S5 and I love the top screen.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom